Scotland Squad for N.Ireland and Gibraltar

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's really all there is to it tbh. Straight from WGS mouth, he said he asked him and he said he was. His dad is scottish FFS this isn't even some great granny rule. If my dad was English and I was born here I'd call myself Scottish but half English too. There's plenty of people that live in Scotland kicking about saying they're an eighth Irish FFS which means they support Ireland when they play. :lol:

The outrage this call up has produced from some folk is just mental.

Great grand maternal birthplace isn't a qualification, but yep, you are absolutely right.

There are a number of fruit loops in the TA who take their views if nationality straight from the pages of Mein Kampf. The concept of dual nationality or even mixed identity is beyond their capacity for abstract thought, so they end up jeering the Liechtenstein national anthem because it sounds like God Save The Queen (and I can think of at least two problems I have with that anthem) and getting the SFA fined. Utterly bizarre, nearly sociopathic behaviour.

Our friend Mr Clyde already has given up the right to celebrate a goal by at least three first choice Scotland players. Some fan that. I can just picture him sullenly sulking Morrison's goal against England.

I have no issue with english born players at all. The problem is with players who consider themselves english (or any other nationality other than scottish)

Big Don Hutchison is a prime example of an english born player who always considered himself scottish. Love that guy

I won't be giving ritchie any stick obviously but I just think the situation is absurd

Here's one to blow your brain up. Don Hutchison only "felt" Scottish for the sake of his international career. He had "more chance" with Scotland, but was and remains English. He'd have chosen England if they had asked first. But he wasn't good enough for England. His words.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/mar/20/newsstory.sport24

Fact is, international football (and nationality) has little to do with birthplace, and more to do with a far more nebulous notion of eligibility.

Here's one to blow your brain up. Don Hutchison only "felt" Scottish for the sake of his international career. He had "more chance" with Scotland, but was and remains English. He'd have chosen England if they had asked first. But he wasn't good enough for England. His words.

Fact is, international football (and nationality) has little to do with birthplace, and more to do with a far more nebulous notion of eligibility.

Pretty much this for me.

Obviously during a game these guys become part of our team and I'll support everything they so.

But there is something cheap and nasty about scouring the youth teams and lower leagues for lads with ability who are probably unlikely to play for England or anyone else. Rugby have done the same.

To say 'he feels scottish ' so anyone who disagrees is a nazi is absurd. Nationally is indeed complex and mixed nationality and identity is a thing - but let's not pretend that's what this is here.

It's fairly certain if it's a 50/50 decision between a non-Celtic player and a Celtic player being included, Strachan will always go with the latter.

It's fairly certain if it's a 50/50 decision between a non-Celtic player and a Celtic player being included, Strachan will always go with the latter.

Like Rhodes/May over Griffiths? Or Bannan over Armstrong?

I saw an interview with Don Hutchison where he stated that his glaswegian dad from an early age drummed it into him that he was scottish and would play for scotland if he made it as a player.

Hutchison said in 2003, "My father died recently and he was my biggest fan. I cried when they played the national anthem before the Iceland game because Flower of Scotland was played at my dad's funeral. The happiest I ever saw him was when we beat England at Wembley thanks to my goal."[20] He added, "Playing for Scotland for my dad was something I really wanted to do because it made him feel proud. I will never forget his face when we played England at Wembley

​Don Hutchison definitely felt scottish and can't really be compared to ritchie

If a player gives his all in the Scotland jersey, then fair fucks. That's about all that matters really. Don't care about the motivation. Not good enough to play for England? Welcome aboard. Good to have you. Just make sure you're good enough for Scotland and it's fine.

I saw an interview with Don Hutchison where he stated that his glaswegian dad from an early age drummed it into him that he was scottish and would play for scotland if he made it as a player.

Hutchison said in 2003, "My father died recently and he was my biggest fan. I cried when they played the national anthem before the Iceland game because Flower of Scotland was played at my dad's funeral. The happiest I ever saw him was when we beat England at Wembley thanks to my goal."[20] He added, "Playing for Scotland for my dad was something I really wanted to do because it made him feel proud. I will never forget his face when we played England at Wembley

He never mentions a single time about feeling Scottish in there, its just reflective pish about his dad feeling Scottish and him wanting to make him proud.

Ritchies been quoted numerous times saying how proud he feels to be called up and its an honour to be asked.

You didn't read that Guardian interview, did you?

Lots of players who were born in England have played for Scotland so I can't see the problem with Ritchie.

A few recent examples are Phil Bardsley, James Morrison, Russell Martin, Steven Fletcher, Kris Commons, Chris Martin, George Boyd, Liam Bridcutt and Matt Gilks. ETA Jordan Rhodes too. Btw, Shaun Maloney was born in Malaysia.

You can add the likes of Stuart McCall, Andy Goram, David Harvey and Bruce Rioch to the list too.

Lots of players who were born in England have played for Scotland so I can't see the problem with Ritchie.

A few recent examples are Phil Bardsley, James Morrison, Russell Martin, Steven Fletcher, Kris Commons, Chris Martin, George Boyd, Liam Bridcutt and Matt Gilks. ETA Jordan Rhodes too. Btw, Shaun Maloney was born in Malaysia.

You can add the likes of Stuart McCall, Andy Goram, David Harvey and Bruce Rioch to the list too.

But hutchison has said he loves playing for scotland and was brought up feeling scottish his entire life. He has stated those words I can assure you. That to me indicates he has the drive and passion to play for scotland

The same situation with jordan rhodes as well. He has stated he feels scottish and loves to play for the country. I don't get any of that feeling from 'I consider my self english' ritchie

But hutchison has said he loves playing for scotland and was brought up feeling scottish his entire life. He has stated those words I can assure you. That to me indicates he has the drive and passion to play for scotland

The same situation with jordan rhodes as well. He has stated he feels scottish and loves to play for the country. I don't get any of that feeling from 'I consider my self english' ritchie

BOOOOOOOOOOO

But some of them will have effectively been brought up here and would absolutely consider themselves scottish. Others were picked due to a technicality and because they were good for us but not good enough for England.

Each case has to be looked at on its merit but I don't like the idea of our manager ducking and diving to get us players that have no real connection with the country.

Hutchinson said he was English you nutter. Henry very helpfully linked the article for you above.

You've had an utter nightmare here, but do carry on.

Hutchinson said he was English you nutter. Henry very helpfully linked the article for you above.

You've had an utter nightmare here, but do carry on.

Hutchison has stated he was brought up by his scottish dad to feel scottish and even loved it when he scored against england. He was born and brought up in england so will always have that english connection but he has already made it crystal clear he feels scottish and was completely committed to playing for scotland.

That's enough of an attitude to prove to me that he should play for scotland. I don't get that with ritchie.

Judging every player individually I came to the conclusion that Hutchison offered enough evidence that he was passionate enough and had a big enough connection to play for the country.

How the f**k can anyone not understand this?

But some of them will have effectively been brought up here and would absolutely consider themselves scottish. Others were picked due to a technicality and because they were good for us but not good enough for England.

Each case has to be looked at on its merit but I don't like the idea of our manager ducking and diving to get us players that have no real connection with the country.

SPOT ON

Archived