Motherwell v Kilmarnock

We were rather unlucky not to be winning at half time but you have to credit Killie's defence in the second half as we got into numerous good positions without creating anything clear cut.

The ref had a bad game for both sides although the sending off was correct IMO. Thought we should have had a penalty there was contact but it would have been soft

Still I guess it's progress from where we were a few weeks ago and Johnson down the left looks like he's going to be a gem of a player.

How the ref only gave 3 minutes of added in time beggared belief. It wasn't even time wasting at least three mins should have been given for the amount of time it took to take corners goal kicks etc in that wind never mind all the subs. Not that it would have made any difference

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A wee bit deflated today after last weeks boost. My thoughts -

Law and Laing done well, Mick okay. Keeper should not have been beat at front post irrespective the amount of power in shot as it was ideal keepers height.

The two young Killie centre midfielders bossed possession against pearo and las all game.

I must see a different game from a lot of others because with apart from his free kick goal and a tackle in last minute I thought Skippy lost cheap possession all game, I think the Killie goal originated from him easily giving the ball away.

Didn't think any of the sub's improved the team.

I don't think we will get anything next week v Sheep.

Thought the draw was the right result. Sending off was pretty harsh, no bad tackles in the game and westlake gets sent off for two nothing fouls.

Second half killie defended well and had a few half chances on break. Motherwell didn't create many more chances and samson was rarely tested. If we had 11 men I think it would have been a win.

I wasn't sure about Gary Locke getting the job but he certainly has the players on his side. We looked organised and with a game plan which is a lot more than we had under Johnston. If he keeps getting results it's hard to argue against him getting the job permanently.

'Well look a much improved side now with the addition of McDonald and Pearson coming back from injury. Also seem to have gone back to basics which is the right approach given the league placing.

I fear it will be too late though, County are motoring. Can only hope St Mirren finish bottom and one of County or Thistle get sooked into it.

I fear it will be too late though, County are motoring. Can only hope St Mirren finish bottom and one of County or Thistle get sooked into it.

Kinda hoping, check the next few games, County and us are on the up, St Mirren and Patrick are not.

Obviously it's always disappointing not to win when you are a man up for 45 mins - but I think there are positives from today. The main thing is that team is playing with a bit of coherence for pretty much the first time this season and we actually look competitive which I'd have bitten your hand off even a few weeks back.

We were nowhere the level of effort that we put in against ICT last week IMO but this week, but we arguably played better football - although in the style that I've seen over the years, we were far better against 11 men than 10.

McDonald once again looked the best man in the team - but I was really heartened by seeing Johnson play as well as he did - he's clearly raw and needs a bit of coaching but he looks like he could be very decent for us. The other good thing was seeing two guys that have got total pelters (much of which was deserved) - Straker and Law - having very decent games.

Feeling reasonably positive for the 2nd week in a row - but County picking up a barrowload of points isn't great and they are clearly favourites to escape the drop at the moment - hopefully Saints and Thistle don't go on similar runs...

Should have won that today, don't think we actually done enough in the 2nd half to merit the three points though but we should have taken advantage of the situation.

Actually thought we were better in the 1st half when it was 11 v 11 and didn't deserve to be going in behind, Samson made a couple of decent saves and one in particular from a Grant header was a cracker. Thought he was very lucky not to have given away a penalty though and how the ref booked Johnson for diving I'll never know. Dreadful decision. Also thought Long could have done better with Killie's goal, even though it was a good hit.

Not sure how Killie can complain about the boy's red card. Johnson was causing all sorts of problems and the boy just blatantly took him out twice. Blocked him off for the first yellow with no intention of going for the ball and the 2nd was just a daft tackle to make when you're already on a yellow. Lovely free kick by McDonald and back to back wins looked on the cards.

Never really looked like happening in the 2nd half though, we huffed and puffed but never created a great deal after half time. To be fair to Killie they worked hard and made it difficult for us to break them down. Don't think you can begrudge them a point.

Another decent performance but disappointing not to take all three points. Whole team was fairly decent(even Straker was alright bar a few WTF moments) without ever really excelling. Erwin and Pearson weren't as good as they were last week which hampered us a fair bit. Not sure if Skippy was quite as good as last week but again you can still see his class at times shine through, good to see him back in the goals. Actually thought Marvin Johnson was probably our best player, said last week he had something about him and he was even better today. Pace, trickery and a wicked delivery on him. No suprise to see the Killie red card came from two fouls on him cause they were struggling to cope with him. Should have had a penalty as well. Tired and faded a bit later on but I really think we have the making of a right cracking player on our hands.

A game we should have won but a share of the points was probably about right in the end.

To be fair Casagolda, he booked Johnson for diving, because he dived. It was a booking every day of the week.

He played well in the first half, though felt he fell out of it in the second half. I would have brought on Thomas earlier.

It's a decent point gained. We're off the bottom, and hopefully we can get a bit of luck at Pittodrie next week.

To be fair Casagolda, he booked Johnson for diving, because he dived. It was a booking every day of the week.

Really?

Will have to have a look at the highlights. Thought it was a pen at the time and going by what 'Flow said on twitter it was a nailed on pen with even Samson himself admitting as much afterwards.

Really?

Will have to have a look at the highlights. Thought it was a pen at the time and going by what 'Flow said on twitter it was a nailed on pen with even Samson himself admitting as much afterwards.

I've not seen the highlights but I had a decent view of it at the game and I was surprised that we didn't get a penalty from my angle - but there wasn't a great complaint from us and so I assumed that it had been an obvious dive (to the ref) - interested to see it again...

Don't get me wrong, I thought the referee had a really bad game, but for me he got the penalty decision spot on. Samson didn't get the ball, but he also never fouled Johnson. Dive in my opinion.

From my angle it looked like a penalty.

From the lack of protest, I assumed Beaton was right.

From watching the highlights, I think Samson clipped him but by the time he did the ball was dead so technically it was a goal kick.

Thought Beaton was better than he has been decried for on this thread. The two yellow cards for Westlake do seem like a harsh red card but both were fairly cynical attack breaking fouls and in 2015 both are yellow cards. There were some soft free kicks in the second half and the added on time was a bit light but overall he didn't do much massively wrong.

As for the game I thought Motherwell dominated possession and territory but didn't create enough good chances especially in the 2nd half. Kilmarnock are as good as I've seen on the ball all season but they didn't win the ball enough to show off their skills. Thought they also sacrificed their best player at half time to cover for Westlake.

Only the third point we've picked up from a losing position all season and keeps the momentum going, feel we should have won but I think a few weeks ago we'd have lost that so I'm quietly content with the point.

Agree with everyone else on here about being content with a point, that was much better than the feckless performance I saw at Rugby Park earlier this season. Delighted to see Skippy get a goal and thought Johnson was MOTM

Roll on Pittodrie

Archived