Stenhousemuir v Stranraer

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised and delighted with the outcome of tonight's match. I think, over the piece, we were the better side and deserved the victory.

Stranraer really looked the part in the opening 20 minutes or so and were shifting the ball around really well, all one- and two-touch passing that we really didn't have an answer to. Yet Stenny picked up shortly afterwards and scored a lovely wee goal through Josh Watt - Tony Marenghi beat two players on the left flank before cutting inside and finding Watt. I thought Watt had made a mistake when he shifted the ball onto his left foot but he found the net. Not sure if the ball took a deflection but it certainly caught David Mitchell unawares.

From then on, barring one or two hairy moments, Stenny were the better of the two teams. I don't think we were necessarily anything special but we got into the game while Stranraer didn't. Willie Gibson, Chris Aitken and Jamie Longworth all started well before dropping out of the match. I don't think they were bad, just not brilliant. That's the second time I've seen the Blues this season and they've been pretty ordinary both times. I reckon we must have some sort of hex over them.

Shouts to Ciaran Summers, Tony Marenghi, Bryan Hodge and Colin McMenamin who all played well this evening but major credit must go to Ross McMillan and Paul McMullan. McMillan kept pretty much everything at bay (I can't remember Craig Malcolm doing anything of note) while McMullan was sensational. What an engine he's got! He ran and ran and ran. Some lovely touches too and he was unlucky not to score in the second half when Marenghi split the defence open.

I still think we'll finish in ninth place but that kind of performance gives me a little hope between now and the end of the season. It's probably too much to expect the team to maintain the same level between now and May (they've been largely bad over the year) but there's a glimmer.

Despite all the pressure in the 2nd half Stranraer rarely threatened. Lithgow and McMillan dominated.

Meanwhile, up the other end, there was Paul McMullan. He never stops. Even back tracking to provide cover for the defence. Really hope this guy makes it in the game.

Another crap performance on the astro. Talk about chalk and cheese in two games. We let stenny bully us. Hardly won a header the whole game. All those crosses and corners no end product. Stennys wee striker caused us alot of problems. It wasn't until we made 3 substitutions I thought we played better just like the first 10. Bell who doesn't play much on astro looked classy and winter actually took players on. Stenny defended really well although bizarrely we continually thought high balls down the middle would work against the big centre halves. School boy tactics.

Anyway well done stenny. Next up Stirling.

Agree with all FF commented but I'd add Kieran Miller to the list of shout outs - quiet but efficient yet again. Breaks things up well in the middle of the pitch, delighted he has signed on for next season.

We done very good tonight and deserved the 3 points. I can't really remember Fleming being called into action other than a tame free kick.

Delighted for Bomber. If we pick up a result on Saturday at home to Peterhead then Ayr away the following week will be tasty.

Agree with all FF commented but I'd add Kieran Miller to the list of shout outs - quiet but efficient yet again. Breaks things up well in the middle of the pitch, delighted he has signed on for next season.

We done very good tonight and deserved the 3 points. I can't really remember Fleming being called into action other than a tame free kick.

Delighted for Bomber. If we pick up a result on Saturday at home to Peterhead then Ayr away the following week will be tasty.

Aye, Millar's a hardy wee player. Reads the game well, doesn't let a lot go by him. Brings out the best of Bryan Hodge and Kris Faulds (who has been unlucky to miss out of late, I thought he did well enough against Dunfermline Athletic the other week).

I should have mentioned this in my previous post but I was very disappointed with Frank McKeown's behaviour - midway through the second half, the ball looked as though it had gone out of the ground and several Stranraer players motioned to the home bench for another ball. No sooner had the new ball been rolled onto the pitch then the original one had been recovered. Now, instead of just gently kicking it back to the bench, McKeown leathered the thing right out of the park.

Shameful stuff, especially from a man in his position. I briefly considered buying some Herbalife supplements from him but I've changed my mind after his petulance tonight.

We weren't at the races tonight, the astro comes back to bite us again. Stenny mopped up every long ball we punted at them and probably deserved the win in the end. Struggled to contain the wee man upfront (McMullen I think?) and it could have been more if it wasn't for a decent few saves from Mitchell in goal. Not a title winning performance at all, roll on Stirling on Saturday... Long way to go.

Was going to make the journey tonight to watch McMullan but reneged once the weather worsened. Sounds like I missed out on another fine performance. Hoping to catch the Airdrie game - he's at Stenny until the end of the season, yes?

Ochilview is as easy a park to play football on as any grass pitch in the country: bemused by the 'astro' claim by some Stranraer fans. This is presumably part of Steve Aitken's latest, utterly rattled "siege mentality" efforts to cover up his side's flagging performances since the turn of the year. Already lacking any dignity.

Aye, Millar's a hardy wee player. Reads the game well, doesn't let a lot go by him. Brings out the best of Bryan Hodge and Kris Faulds (who has been unlucky to miss out of late, I thought he did well enough against Dunfermline Athletic the other week).

I should have mentioned this in my previous post but I was very disappointed with Frank McKeown's behaviour - midway through the second half, the ball looked as though it had gone out of the ground and several Stranraer players motioned to the home bench for another ball. No sooner had the new ball been rolled onto the pitch then the original one had been recovered. Now, instead of just gently kicking it back to the bench, McKeown leathered the thing right out of the park.

Shameful stuff, especially from a man in his position. I briefly considered buying some Herbalife supplements from him but I've changed my mind after his petulance tonight.

Archived