QT - Glasgow 5th March

Aye me, because I believe that's what it is. It doesn't matter who it's aimed at. I'm not offended by it or anything, just don't think there's any need for it.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/01/feisty-flounce-bossy-words-put-women-down

There's a quick article which says: "Flounce

A word so feminine it conjures up lace petticoats. You cannot flounce out of a confrontation while wearing “manly” things such as a space suit or a pair of safety goggles. It requires frills, a swishy skirt, and a bouncy hairdo, even metaphorically, which is why it is only ever aimed at women. And sometimes gay men, revealing its user as a sexist homophobe."

So it isn't just me who thinks so. Never mind demanding I apologise for having a homophobic insult aimed in my direction.

Whilst the dictionary definition is:

verb
verb: flounce; 3rd person present: flounces; past tense: flounced; past participle: flounced; gerund or present participle: flouncing
go or move in an exaggeratedly impatient or angry manner.
"he stood up in a fury and flounced out"
synonyms: storm, stride angrily, sweep, stomp, stamp, march, strut, stalk
"she rose from the table in a fury and flounced out"

Funnily enough the first example is of the masculine with nothing to infer homosexuality at all. :1eye

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye me, because I believe that's what it is. It doesn't matter who it's aimed at. I'm not offended by it or anything, just don't think there's any need for it.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/01/feisty-flounce-bossy-words-put-women-down

There's a quick article which says: "Flounce

A word so feminine it conjures up lace petticoats. You cannot flounce out of a confrontation while wearing manly things such as a space suit or a pair of safety goggles. It requires frills, a swishy skirt, and a bouncy hairdo, even metaphorically, which is why it is only ever aimed at women. And sometimes gay men, revealing its user as a sexist homophobe."

So it isn't just me who thinks so. Never mind demanding I apologise for having a homophobic insult aimed in my direction.

Are you characterising straight guys as unable to flounce?

Whilst the dictionary definition is:

verb
verb: flounce; 3rd person present: flounces; past tense: flounced; past participle: flounced; gerund or present participle: flouncing
go or move in an exaggeratedly impatient or angry manner.
"he stood up in a fury and flounced out"
synonyms: storm, stride angrily, sweep, stomp, stamp, march, strut, stalk
"she rose from the table in a fury and flounced out"

Funnily enough the first example is of the masculine with nothing to infer homosexuality at all. :1eye

We obviously disagree. As i've shown and some others have commented, many believe it to be a homophobic insult. I know you're desperately trying to defend your pal, but surely you can see why others may have a different opinion on what that insult means.

I think that using gay stereotypes and calling people petal to try and belittle them when they've been shown up in an argument is wrong. You think it's fine, I don't.

If you think putting your hands on your hips and "flouncing" are gay stereotypes then I think it is you that has the problem.

If you think putting your hands on your hips and "flouncing" are gay stereotypes then I think it is you that has the problem.

Of course they are! Have you never watched 'Are You Being Served?' where Mr Humphries was characterised as the stereotypical gay man, limp waisted, always flouncing etc? You've seriously never heard of the stereotype that gay men flounce around? I'm amazed if not, and it certainly isn't me who has the problem when it comes to this issue.

From the New York Times in 2000:

"But ''Will and Grace'' also hints (here is its nasty secret) that it is safe to create a stereotypical flouncing gay man in Jack, who can reassure viewers that their prejudices are true."

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/01/arts/television-special-section-get-best-view-television-try-using-wide-lens.html

Are you still going to say I have a problem because I consider flouncing as a gay stereotype? I simply believe trying to belittle someone by calling them petal, or say they imagine them flouncing out of the room after making a statement, is homophobic. It's not like it was used in a positive way, it was intended as an insult.

I can only hope the level of debate in the programme is slightly higher than on this thread.

I might be disappointed though. I'm just going to get severely pissed off by Dugdale repeating vote snp and the Tories will get in as an answer to every question.

They are completely ignoring the changing political landscape in the whole of the UK which will hopefully lead to the greens and ukip nicking votes off the main parties and the lib dems having a nightmare. For me that means outwith the ultra safe seats for either side, there could be a lot of shocks.

I hope this is pointed out if they repeat their mantra tomorrow night. We do not know how this is going to panout so a vote for the snp will mean a vote for a party which will fight for Scotland's interests.

Edit: Just found out that Toby Young's Dad was a Labour politician. Not that it means much. My Dad voted Tory then latterly UKIP.

Holy Shitballs, Berwickmad is a tad touchy.

For the benefit of clarification, and it's pretty pathetic that I have to clarify, but anyone with a modicum of common sense and more than three functioning brain cells will be aware that any comment I have ever levelled at anyone is not intended to be taken as homophobic nor do I condone or approve of homophobia on a broader level.

Sigh.

Now I have got that out the way for the small numbers of weapons that have been "affected" by this over the past few pages, can we get back on topic?

Holy Shitballs, Berwickmad is a tad touchy.

For the benefit of clarification, and it's pretty pathetic that I have to clarify, but anyone with a modicum of common sense and more than three functioning brain cells will be aware that any comment I have ever levelled at anyone is not intended to be taken as homophobic nor do I condone or approve of homophobia on a broader level.

Good to hear. Hopefully you realise your mistake and don't do similar in future.

Very entertaining thread, keep it up folks.

Wonderful image in my head of three guys desperately searching the interwebby for a definition of Flounce [ing]

Good old BBC balance

2.5 Tories on a Glasgow panel in a country that has one Tory MP.

Still look on the bright side Sherridon nae more, Bannatine nae more, Kennedy nae more, Galloway no more.

Guys/Gals

Can we stop all this flummoxing, flouncing, floundering and mainly f@nnying around and get back on topic...

I would imagine the Glesga crowd will not be proportionate

Sexist. Some of us may have been dicking around.

Anyway, just to enhance the rumours about the audience, I'm a Glaswegian who voted yes, and I got knocked back for a ticket. <_<

Christ's trousers.

I wish to call a false flag on the above.

In every picture (well painting) or every performance of Jesus Christ Superstar, Jeez was only ever seen wearing a dress.

Unless the poster can provide linkage evidence of the son of god in a pair of strides then the flag stays aloft.

Grimbo

In every picture (well painting) or every performance of Jesus Christ Superstar, Jeez was only ever seen wearing a dress.

Unless the poster can provide linkage evidence of the son of god in a pair of strides then the flag stays aloft.

Grimbo

He was wearing trousers under his smock.

Grimbo

Excellent. No question of discrimination to transvestites here.

Archived