Does Pyramid p/o mean end of SJFA ?

mick90

You need to ask yourself why the SFA had to set up a new league when there was a structure in place in the format in the Juniors. They must have thought would it be better to integrate the Juniors into the pyramid, a logical step. Or start from scratch. Ironically it must have been easier to start from scratch. There will have been too many set in their ways people to even discuss it. When we came into the Juniors and up until last year they were still handwriting team lines. Youth football stopped that 10plus years before. A minor point but told us everything about why the Junior game is struggling. They havent changed with the times. People need to come in with fresh ideas but repeatedly they are knocked down. If the current format is working why are the crowds not bigger?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hardly offering the golden goose here mate, lets say ur in charge and are tasked with securing the future of semi professional football, u have one set up containing a lot of clubs, many that would bring significant support and competitive teams to the table, however there is a shortage of licenses and a general dislike of regular travelling due to costs. Do you tell them to just get a license and like travel, ignore them completely and focus on start up clubs mixed with a handful of established ones... or do you work on finding a solution that takes note of the concerns and works towards suitable inclusion for the betterment of scottish football?

tell them to just get a license and like travel, ignore them completely

Yes, if they dont want to join they don't have to. The juniors are not essential to the pyramid but soon they will realise the pyramid will be essential to them as clubs.

think you'll find its a financial issue rather than attitude, playing regional you don't have to splash £400 on a bus every week. National your talking the majority of your budget going towards buses, not leaving much room for ground improvements or wages.

Funny how every time this topic comes up the main cheerleaders for doing away with Junior football are a man trying to ramp up hits on his piss poor website, a puddle drinking shitgibbon who cant seem to decide who he supports in the second division of the SPFL or indeed who he is stalking round P&B this week and a fan of a fourth division SPFL team who has the name of a second division SPFL team in his username.

Wonder why its always the people outside the "junior" grade that are so upset about the continued existence of "junior" football?

What is it about non-league football that makes theses senior fans start to seethe at the merest mention of the continued existence of football outside of the SPFL pyramid?

think you'll find its a financial issue rather than attitude, playing regional you don't have to splash £400 on a bus every week. National your talking the majority of your budget going towards buses, not leaving much room for ground improvements or wages.

I disagree it seems to be attitude and a misconception of finance as you have diaplyed

Teams don't get a bus everywhere FWIW, even some of the longer travel games are done by carpool. Every club is different mind but its not essential considering others already don't do that.

Wonder why its always the people outside the "junior" grade that are so upset about the continued existence of "junior" football?

What is it about non-league football that makes theses senior fans start to seethe at the merest mention of the continued existence of football outside of the SPFL pyramid?

Agree with you entirely, my experience of some senior fans and dare say some club officials i met during our cup run this year was an attitude of sheer snobbery and disdain towards junior football. Granted this came out after we beat them but initially some were bemused that we weren't joining the lowland and seeking a license but took great pride in showing off there new lovely facilities that were built for lots of money that we don't have access too in our rinky dink ayrshire slums. Again brilliant when we beat them :)

I disagree it seems to be attitude and a misconception of finance as you have diaplyed

Teams don't get a bus everywhere FWIW, even some of the longer travel games are done by carpool. Every club is different mind but its not essential considering others already don't do that.

Just saying what i've heard at the majority of meetings i've been at, travel costs seem to be the big stickler when discussing lowland league/league reconstruction.

Why would 99% of junior clubs want to be a part of a pyramid other than the one they are currently in?

Can you present a good case for central belt juniors clubs wanting to travel to Elgin or Stranraer on a wet Tuesday evening in February and to forego local rivalry for the chance to play in Peterhead, Annan or Montrose?

This!!

Funny how every time this topic comes up the main cheerleaders for doing away with Junior football are a man trying to ramp up hits on his piss poor website, a puddle drinking shitgibbon who cant seem to decide who he supports in the second division of the SPFL or indeed who he is stalking round P&B this week and a fan of a fourth division SPFL team who has the name of a second division SPFL team in his username.

Not always old bean. I'd abolish Junior football as an entity tomorrow if I had a Putinesque grip of the game in Scotland. I think the SFA are spot on in their quest to develop a pyramid. I'd rather the south was split east and west but even then I'd be more than happy that licencing is applicable at top level of the non-nationwide part of the game. If clubs can't afford to provide some 21st century basic levels of care for their players and customers then they shouldn't be near the top end of the non-league game until such time as they can. It's utter nonsense to have multiple layers of separately governed bodies of football in a country this size.

As I said above, the Juniors will reap what it sows in terms of its inability to change. They can't even contemplate a unified top flight in the south without an outcry so there is no chance of anything changing in this grade. Licenced teams get a grant which is probably sufficient to cover their additional travel costs just for being licenced. That's a starting point.

Why would 99% of junior clubs want to be a part of a pyramid other than the one they are currently in?

Can you present a good case for central belt juniors clubs wanting to travel to Elgin or Stranraer on a wet Tuesday evening in February and to forego local rivalry for the chance to play in Peterhead, Annan or Montrose?

I'd quite like a rivalry with Spartans, Edinburgh City, Stenhousemuir, Livingston or any of the myriad of clubs who are no Junior but are 60 miles closer to us than Carnoustie. You think I should never have that opportunity because every blue moon I might need to go quite far away on a midweek? I'd take my chances that things would balance out just fine.

PS - Montrose are in our league structure.

I'd quite like a rivalry with Spartans, Edinburgh City, Stenhousemuir, Livingston or any of the myriad of clubs who are no Junior but are 60 miles closer to us than Carnoustie. You think I should never have that opportunity because every blue moon I might need to go quite far away on a midweek? I'd take my chances that things would balance out just fine.

PS - Montrose are in our league structure.

For what it's worth I would say Linlithgow Rose are one of the very few juniors who might benefit from joining the senior pyramid in its present structure. However, whether it's better to be a biggish fish in a small pond, or a small fish in a big pond is open to conjecture. Fans tend to like their teams winning trophies rather than ending up in mid-table mediocrity.

For what it's worth I would say Linlithgow Rose are one of the very few juniors who might benefit from joining the senior pyramid in its present structure. However, whether it's better to be a biggish fish in a small pond, or a small fish in a big pond is open to conjecture. Fans tend to like their teams winning trophies rather than ending up in mid-table mediocrity.

There was a time when we couldn't have even considered something like this. Every club should have the right to keep progressing but honestly, what would be the problem being part of a regionalised pyramid where you'd be playing at the level you were capable of playing at?

Sorry you don't remember correctly. We had no funding from any source in order to get our license by being a senior (no " " needed) club. All the extra expenditure needed to jump through the license hoops had to be budgeted from our normal fund raising activities.

You don't need a youth set up to get an entry level license as we didn't have any youth teams when we got ours awarded. We now have a youth set up partly funded through funding available to everybody (Peoples Millions).

I stand corrected. And no offence was meant by the ''

We have looked at the licensing requirements and I do know that it isn't that difficult to achieve this. But one of things (and you can probably correct me) floodlights will be a requirement from the lowland league how many club currently are without? We are looking into a ground redevelopment at the moment and would be interested to see how other clubs funded it.

For a club licence yes I know but I am sure I read somewhere that the lowland league is making it a requirement.

You'll need to quote that as I've not seen it anywhere, there's been talk of clubs needing floodlights if considering promotion, but not seen anything to say they be a LL requirement.

Of course like many things, they should be a requirment at that level, but the licensing requirements are lenient as f**k across the board.

I stand corrected. And no offence was meant by the ''

We have looked at the licensing requirements and I do know that it isn't that difficult to achieve this. But one of things (and you can probably correct me) floodlights will be a requirement from the lowland league how many club currently are without? We are looking into a ground redevelopment at the moment and would be interested to see how other clubs funded it.

No offence taken with the ",

As far I know there is no planned requirement for floodlights at Lowland League level. It remains to be seen what would happen if a team wins the league and playoffs and is unable to take promotion due to not having floodlights as it is a requirement for the SPFL. It is a condition of entry to the Lowland League that you cannot refuse promotion.

I believe Alloa had a set for sale recently.

Archived