The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

Nothing to see folks! Move along!

Clearly yet another right wing conspiracy, Shillary is a picture of health.

There was an ambulance staffed with apparently bulletproof vested 'paramedics' at her talk the other day. Not sure if this is standard procedure or not.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Sooky said:

Some of this Hillary health stuff lately has been way over-exaggerated (OMG she coughed!!!) but a presidential candidate being dragged into a car because she fainted is certainly newsworthy, even if it was just to do with the heat.

Correct.  Won't stop the savage right and less professional doctors (in totally unacceptable medical practice) from speculating on the causes, despite having no idea what her medical record says.  In this particular case, there's a medium between "oh my god she's going to die" and "nothing to see here" - unlike the coughing/hole in the tongue stories.  Some of the fruit loop conspiracy theories are hilariously paranoid - I've already read that she's had a stroke and that pneumonia will kill her in a year.

Of course, the result of this is going to be widespread apathy - anyone who feels "alienated" from the political process is now faced with a choice between 1. a rotten racist b*****d with no discernible policies and big business establishment credentials, 2. a pig ignorant halfwit who doesn't actually know what's going on in Syria (that could could go for candidate 1 as well) or 3. a thoroughly humourless woman whose health is now in question and who contrives to make candidate 1. even vaguely plausible.

Richard Nixon  - or even either of the Bush boys - seem infinitely preferable.  As it is, there is no viable candidate for the majority of non partisan voters.  No question, this is the worst presidential candidacy run off in modern history. 

If she does indeed have Pneumonia then people have a right to be concerned considering it can be deadly. This is not the first time she's had to be surrounded by aides cause she's been struggling. As i said previously on this thread, if she is medically unfit to run then people deserve to know before casting their vote. Absolutely agree with Savage Henry, this is no doubt the worst Presidential Candidacy in a very long time. 

1 hour ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

If she does indeed have Pneumonia then people have a right to be concerned considering it can be deadly. This is not the first time she's had to be surrounded by aides cause she's been struggling. As i said previously on this thread, if she is medically unfit to run then people deserve to know before casting their vote. Absolutely agree with Savage Henry, this is no doubt the worst Presidential Candidacy in a very long time. 

There's one for homophone corner! :P

Pneumonia is like flu for people over 50. Caught early and properly treated the vast majority of people make a full and quick recovery.

The politicisation of this is shameful, but utterly predictable. It's none of our business if someone feels faint and has a fever from time to time.

12 hours ago, Bully Di Villa said:

Hypothetically, if she is too ill and withdraws, very unlikely hopefully, who would be the Democrat candidate? Would it be her running mate, the candidate with the next highest votes (presumably Sanders) or would they have a re-vote?

Kaine would take over. Ballot deadlines would be prohibitive for anyone else and the process wouldn't likely allow Sanders in.

11 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Pneumonia is like flu for people over 50. Caught early and properly treated the vast majority of people make a full and quick recovery.

The politicisation of this is shameful, but utterly predictable. It's none of our business if someone feels faint and has a fever from time to time.

I agree with you, but I suppose the argument had always been, if the president feels faint and has a fever, and is being asked to launch the nuclear arsenal at someone - as slim a chance as that is. I mean, a British prime minister can be a semi vegetative, incompetent dilletante - indeed, most of them have been, but the stakes are so low it's not really an issue beyond the impact on a British electorate that seems hell bent on sado-masochism anyway. The US president on the other hand is the command and control centre for ending the world. Ever since the beginning of the atomic age, people have reasonably expected that physical and mental health should be paramount around itchy trigger fingers.

2 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

"It can be deadly"

So can the flu and an allergic reaction to peanuts.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

I agree with you, but I suppose the argument had always been, if the president feels faint and has a fever, and is being asked to launch the nuclear arsenal at someone - as slim a chance as that is. I mean, a British prime minister can be a semi vegetative, incompetent dilletante - indeed, most of them have been, but the stakes are so low it's not really an issue beyond the impact on a British electorate that seems hell bent on sado-masochism anyway. The US president on the other hand is the command and control centre for ending the world. Ever since the beginning of the atomic age, people have reasonably expected that physical and mental health should be paramount around itchy trigger fingers.

I know you know it's an insane argument but I'm going to say it anyway. It's an insane argument. Literally anyone could faint unexpectedly, or be involved in an accident, or have to undergo something like planned surgery under anaesthetic. It's a total myth that the US President is standing over a red button all the time and these decisions are taken in deep and detailed constant consultation with an extensive array of other people: the Vice President, the Secretary of State, the Joint Chiefs of Staff etc. Without wanting to go all West Wing on people, the world is probably in greater danger when the President of the United States is sleeping or making a public address than they are when they've got pneumonia.

Kaine would take over. Ballot deadlines would be prohibitive for anyone else and the process wouldn't likely allow Sanders in.

Torygraph suggest otherwise, although they state Kaine would remain on the ticket as running mate whoever gets the nomination...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/12/what-would-happen-if-hillary-clinton-drops-out-of-us-election-ra/amp/?client=ms-android-h3g-gb

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I know you know it's an insane argument but I'm going to say it anyway. It's an insane argument. Literally anyone could faint unexpectedly, or be involved in an accident, or have to undergo something like planned surgery under anaesthetic. It's a total myth that the US President is standing over a red button all the time and these decisions are taken in deep and detailed constant consultation with an extensive array of other people: the Vice President, the Secretary of State, the Joint Chiefs of Staff etc. Without wanting to go all West Wing on people, the world is probably in greater danger when the President of the United States is sleeping or making a public address than they are when they've got pneumonia.

Yeah, although it's a pretty anambiguous chain of command in the event of a crisis like that, obviously people try to reduce grey areas in the realm of strategic defence and it's ultimately the C in C's call. How incapacitated does a president have to be before the VP get's the nod?

At the end of the day though, it shouldn't affect her ability to preside. The worst thing she can do is drop dead next to the nuclear football, and then 'ol whatshisname get's the nod. Trump is quite clearly insane but by contrast with Clinton we wouldn't really know about it until after the radioactive fallout had settled.

17 minutes ago, Bully Di Villa said:

Torygraph suggest otherwise, although they state Kaine would remain on the ticket as running mate whoever gets the nomination...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/12/what-would-happen-if-hillary-clinton-drops-out-of-us-election-ra/amp/?client=ms-android-h3g-gb

No they don't. They say Kaine would remain on the ticket as the running-mate if someone else got the nod in the emergency meeting to be the Presidential candidate.

If Clinton withdraws because of health problems they're not going to pick a 75-year-old frail-looking man to replace her.

Biden would be a serious problem for ballot deadlines because almost all of them will have passed by the end of September. Any effort to draft him onto ballots in all the states would likely involve protracted legal cases and tremendous uncertainty. There have been instances of successfully forcing states to change ballots before, but it's typically been for Gubernatorial runs and legislators. It's never happened for the Presidency after a filing dealine. Kaine by contrast is already on the ballot, by virtue of being the VP nominee.

I agree with the general point, if it's nothing more than a short bout of pneumonia then it isn't really a big deal. She'll be fine in a couple of weeks.

But, as always with Clinton, it's the lies. She allegedly knew this on Friday - given the stuff last week it wouldn't surprise me if she already knew when it was 'just allergies'. Regardless, let's assume she found on Friday. Why didn't she make an announcement then? Suspend campaigning for a few days, recover and come back. Instead she goes to events, comes into contact with hundreds of people and pretends nothing is wrong.

Even yesterday, a couple of hours after her collapse, she was pumped full of drugs and wheeled out. Nothing to see here, even her doctor claimed she just 'overheated' and that there was no problem. Then when they realised nobody was buying it, the pneumonia tale came.

It's been politicised because she tried to hide it and had her doctor lie about it.

There is no suggestion that he would take over automatically though:

"No special consideration would be given to Tim Kaine, the current vice-presidential candidate, or Bernie Sanders, Mrs Clinton's closest rival in the race to secure the Democratic nomination. And if someone other than Mr Kaine were selected, he would remain the vice-presidential candidate."

3 minutes ago, Bully Di Villa said:

There is no suggestion that he would take over automatically though:

"No special consideration would be given to Tim Kaine, the current vice-presidential candidate, or Bernie Sanders, Mrs Clinton's closest rival in the race to secure the Democratic nomination. And if someone other than Mr Kaine were selected, he would remain the vice-presidential candidate."

Personally i'd be hoping for Sanders to get the go ahead, he genuinely seems like the only not mental candidate

9 minutes ago, Paco said:

I agree with the general point, if it's nothing more than a short bout of pneumonia then it isn't really a big deal. She'll be fine in a couple of weeks.

But, as always with Clinton, it's the lies. She allegedly knew this on Friday - given the stuff last week it wouldn't surprise me if she already knew when it was 'just allergies'. Regardless, let's assume she found on Friday. Why didn't she make an announcement then? Suspend campaigning for a few days, recover and come back. Instead she goes to events, comes into contact with hundreds of people and pretends nothing is wrong.

Even yesterday, a couple of hours after her collapse, she was pumped full of drugs and wheeled out. Nothing to see here, even her doctor claimed she just 'overheated' and that there was no problem. Then when they realised nobody was buying it, the pneumonia tale came.

It's been politicised because she tried to hide it and had her doctor lie about it.

It's none of our business if the cough or the faint she has is a result of allergies or flu or the common cold or pneumonia. It is not just acceptable but overtly justifiable not to give the world a running commentary of a politician's minor ailments. She has not been incapacitated so she can do the job.

Literally billions of people on this planet will have had flu or similar and said "it's just a cold" and fought-on through a contagious illness during a busy part of their work life. Billions.

Edit: Lying about your health to the electorate is totally fine. It's a totally reasonable response to something people shouldn't even be asking questions about in the first place.

The insinuation from the Twitter doctorate* appears to be that she is hiding Parkinsons.

* - I don't think any of them are real Doctors though.

Archived