The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

To be fair, he's actually been (as much as is possible for Donald Trump) consistent on Obamacare since the start of the process when speaking himself (his campaign come out with much more extreme stuff though). He always said that he felt the pre-existing conditions part and being on parents healthcare was a positive thing but mentioned some vague reform to it that would retain all the nice parts and remove all the bad parts (never explaining how).

I imagine that it'll just remain how it is but they'll try to remove it as Obama's legacy. Trumpcare.

It's tricky as without retaining the mandatory element you get people only signing up for insurance when they get sick which means a big loss for the insurance companies if they're forced to accept preexisting conditions. It's very hard to get have universal health care purely through the private sector, which Republicans demand.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, welshbairn said:

It's tricky as without retaining the mandatory element you get people only signing up for insurance when they get sick which means a big loss for the insurance companies if they're forced to accept preexisting conditions. It's very hard to get have universal health care purely through the private sector, which Republicans demand.

Without being an expert in the subject, I think they should just substantially lower the age of medicare eligibility or remove it all together. As far as I understand, Americans right now are a bit worried because their insurance costs seem to be rising by quite a bit but if they had a public healthcare option, insurance companies would instantly be fighting to lower costs as much as possible to survive and provide affordable competition. Obviously, it's not as simple as that, but it makes logical sense from an economic stand point.

Like you say, Republicans would never pass that. If Trump is actually serious about healthcare though, it is one area where he's got overlap with a lot of Democrats and you'd think that even with opposition, there would be a few Republicans who would jump on board with him to use his popularity and also the moderate stance (in swing states) to win re-election.

It would be pretty funny if Trump just ended up being a liberal Trojan Horse for the next few years and manages to trick the GOP into passing things that Obama couldn't dream of. He has changed positions on almost everything possible. The team he looks to be assembling suggests not, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I actually feel quite sorry for him. In the stint that he was presenting on Fox and acting like a complete nutter, he had quite a serious brain problem. He's only recovered from it in the last couple of years and went back to his more sane positions that he had before the symptoms started.

I do think it's quite brave coming out in that position and admitting that you were totally wrong and off the mark about so many things. It would have been easy to follow the Trump movement and probably end up in his cabinet or some shit.

Without being an expert in the subject, I think they should just substantially lower the age of medicare eligibility or remove it all together. As far as I understand, Americans right now are a bit worried because their insurance costs seem to be rising by quite a bit but if they had a public healthcare option, insurance companies would instantly be fighting to lower costs as much as possible to survive and provide affordable competition. Obviously, it's not as simple as that, but it makes logical sense from an economic stand point.

Like you say, Republicans would never pass that. If Trump is actually serious about healthcare though, it is one area where he's got overlap with a lot of Democrats and you'd think that even with opposition, there would be a few Republicans who would jump on board with him to use his popularity and also the moderate stance (in swing states) to win re-election.

It would be pretty funny if Trump just ended up being a liberal Trojan Horse for the next few years and manages to trick the GOP into passing things that Obama couldn't dream of. He has changed positions on almost everything possible. The team he looks to be assembling suggests not, unfortunately.

People like Steven Bannon sp?, tipped for chief of staff and boss of Breitbart is more of an anarchist prankster who hates the social and even fiscal conservatives in the Republican party establishment even more than the Democrats. It could all be very entertaining if they leave Foreign Affairs and military matters to people who know what they're doing.

Thoroughly reccomend reading Jon Ronson's 'The Elephant In The Room' it's a Kindle single only about 15000 words only costs a couple of quid. Through Alex Jones he meets the alt right and the people Trump has surrounded himself with. It's really interesting and slightly terrifying. These people have absolutely crazy beleifs that would make UKIP's nuttiest supporter seem sane. I hope that now Trump has acheived his goal he drops these maniacs.

The stupidest thing Hillary did, of which there are loads, is essentially organising the alt-right on their belief by legitimising them and making pure bogus claims about them being organised or funded by Putin. The alt-right is literally just loser VLs on Reddit that got scammed by Milo Yiannapolous and think women playing video games is either bad or doesn't happen.

10 hours ago, The DA said:

Doubtless, someone will dob her in it.  I can see the Child Protection Services folk chapping on her door soon enough.

Minimum age to vote in the US is i believe 16, maybe 18, so it had to be a mock election, something many school's have been running(what a stupid fucking idea) Regardless, fucking disgraceful behavior. 

**edit** Watched the rest, heard the part about it being at school

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

The stupidest thing Hillary did, of which there are loads, is essentially organising the alt-right on their belief by legitimising them and making pure bogus claims about them being organised or funded by Putin. The alt-right is literally just loser VLs on Reddit that got scammed by Milo Yiannapolous and think women playing video games is either bad or doesn't happen.

No, the stupidest thing she did was influence the GOP so Trump won the nomination, arrogantly thinking that she would easily beat him because she is so brilliant.

Just no, Unless you vote for someone who is actually running on a campaign of "I will personally ban everyone who isn't white and deport them immediately, anyone who resists will be shot, anyone who harbors a non white will be shot, if a non white try's to enter the country, they will be shot" Then voting for someone isn't a hate crime. 

CxF9Y-ZUcAAAMuX.jpg

The election has been an absolute goldmine for complete bullshit stories:

6ObZYlwl.jpg

Superb parody [emoji1]

The alt-right is literally just loser VLs on Reddit that got scammed by Milo Yiannapolous and think women playing video games is either bad or doesn't happen.

Please be parody [emoji1]

23 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

There have been so many utter lies like that spreading since Trump won, that is honestly one of the most ridiculous things ive ever read

I could post several pages of this stuff, it's hilarious.

I like this one that apparently all takes place within half an hour:

pCAdmaszHcFKpHumOSzf5yevEaxJZA1lwSx0qlvUQfg.png?w=498&s=13ef4613e61fb6434f0102d440fb8f41

7 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-election-day/trump-did-better-blacks-hispanics-romney-12-exit-polls-n681386

Trump did better with Blacks and Hispanic's than Romney did back in 2012 in exit polls

Some crackin demographics coming out of it.

Seems like many black and hispanic women had little taste for Clinton's woman card. Incidents where Trump came out ahead with college-educated women, which is utterly bemusing 'Progressive' bigots who expected mass vote-by-vagina by 'intelligent' women, which is also a nice snobbish backhand to not-college educated women.

46 minutes ago, banana said:

Some crackin demographics coming out of it.

Seems like many black and hispanic women had little taste for Clinton's woman card. Incidents where Trump came out ahead with college-educated women, which is utterly bemusing 'Progressive' bigots who expected mass vote-by-vagina by 'intelligent' women, which is also a nice snobbish backhand to not-college educated women.

Do you beat your wife before or after work?

Archived