The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I was thinking after the election result who would be the equivalend of Trump in the UK but I don't watch enough pish TV to know his equivalent.

I would say Jeremy Kyle.

Remember that ex-MP Robert Kilroy Silk was the most popular of the early morning barrel scraper show hosts before he thought he'd do to UKIP what Trump succeeded in doing with the Republican Party.

Don't be too surprised if one day he gets similar ideas about his station.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

He also said that it wasn't over in his premature defeat speech.  The fact you think him being outside the official campaign matters a jot is pretty telling. Like Boris, Gove and May (probably) you seem quite happy to pick up the racist vote then disassociate yourself with it when you think it suits your cause.

Brexit was created to steal the UKIP vote and settle a part of the conservative party. It was fought on lies, by both sides, it had no discernible outcome, no clarity as to what a Leave vote would mean or entail and the fact there has been a successful High court challenge against one of the proposed (post vote) outcomes, is a pretty good indicator that the process was flawed from start to finish. 

A process that produces no discernible result is I think it is fair to say flawed, is it not?

Brexit means Brexit isn't fucking good enough, before you start.

What a load of tosh.  I presume that you are not in favour of the Scotland having another referendum until we have negotiated with the rest of the UK over the terms of the split?  The reasoning behind the referendum may have been to steal the UKIP vote but it was a manifesto commitment that the Tories made and carried out.  You appear incapable of comprehending how the referendum worked, I placed my vote the exact same as you did.  I had no control over any other person's vote and I have never condoned any racists or racist behaviour.  Does your remain vote mean that you share the same values as Sinn Fein supporters? 

The process has produced a discernible result, the UK voted to leave the EU.  The process and timescales for making this happen should have been clearer without a doubt but for anyone who is opposed to the EU institution and the move towards greater political union then timescales really are secondary.

Oh, and any chance of some campaign materials on the "advisory" nature of the vote?

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

That's odd, I knew it was advisory, it was on the news often enough [citationneeded] , why didn't you?

I asked you previously for the evidence of campaign material and you failed to produce any.  In fact the only thing you produced was a briefing paper that was written before the debate, amendments and final act were actually agreed.  How about I make it easy and allow you just to show any post that you wrote before the vote that states that this was advisory?

There was also a manifesto commitment to "honour the result of the referendum, whatever the outcome"

I'm going to come across like a proper shouty radical now, but people suggesting that everyone should pipe down see what Trump actually is like is a perfect example of white privilege.

If we take him at his word, the things he's said he will do are the policies of a fascist dictator. Only people who wouldn't be affected by those policies if he did enact them are in a position not to take them literally.

8 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'm going to come across like a proper shouty radical now, but people suggesting that everyone should pipe down see what Trump actually is like is a perfect example of white privilege.

If we take him at his word, the things he's said he will do are the policies of a fascist dictator. Only people who wouldn't be affected by those policies if he did enact them are in a position not to take them literally.

Can I enquire to the policies that make him a "fascist dictator"?

Note: the Muslim comment was almost immediately retracted so taking him "at his word", it isn't a clear example. 

25 minutes ago, strichener said:

What a load of tosh.  I presume that you are not in favour of the Scotland having another referendum until we have negotiated with the rest of the UK over the terms of the split?  The reasoning behind the referendum may have been to steal the UKIP vote but it was a manifesto commitment that the Tories made and carried out.  You appear incapable of comprehending how the referendum worked, I placed my vote the exact same as you did.  I had no control over any other person's vote and I have never condoned any racists or racist behaviour.  Does your remain vote mean that you share the same values as Sinn Fein supporters? 

The process has produced a discernible result, the UK voted to leave the EU.  The process and timescales for making this happen should have been clearer without a doubt but for anyone who is opposed to the EU institution and the move towards greater political union then timescales really are secondary.

Oh, and any chance of some campaign materials on the "advisory" nature of the vote?

I'll see your advisory and I'll raise you a bus and a racist billboard that were in the campaign literature but I don't see any money coming the NHS's way nor do I see Turkey joining the EU anytime soon. But advisory is in the legislation regarding referendums though isn't it?

It's not about negotiating it's about putting forward a reasonable explanation of what the process is for removing rights. They haven't done that and until they do, we should all be going down kicking and screaming.

Also, the fact the racists were on your side and you clearly benefited from their vote, doesn't that give you pause. Maybe I'm on the bad guys side? I know it would for me.

2 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Maybe he won't be a racist? Maybe he won't turn out to be a complete sociopath now he has won. it won't affect me if he is coz I'm white but in any case shut it different people, maybe it'll be fine? Spot on.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Note: the Muslim comment was almost immediately retracted so taking him "at his word", it isn't a clear example. 

Trump is the kind of man who could easily retract a retraction depending on how he's feeling in the moment. He's mentally and emotionally unstable.

19 minutes ago, strichener said:

I asked you previously for the evidence of campaign material and you failed to produce any.  In fact the only thing you produced was a briefing paper that was written before the debate, amendments and final act were actually agreed.  How about I make it easy and allow you just to show any post that you wrote before the vote that states that this was advisory?

There was also a manifesto commitment to "honour the result of the referendum, whatever the outcome"

I honour the bit of advice, fucking idiots like you, stooped to give to the rest of the UK.  Now let's put the proposals for enacting that "advice" through a proper parliamentary process and if it turns out to be nonsense/unworkable then you ken whit? It won't pass and we'll stay, or not leave, whatever.

That you've been led up the garden path thinking the frankly ridiculous notion that we could "just leave the EU" like fucking magic, is tragic for you, nobody likes to be taken for a ride, I get that. But that's your problem.

2 minutes ago, Poo said:

Trump is the kind of man who could easily retract a retraction depending on how he's feeling in the moment. He's mentally and emotionally unstable.

Well, quite. His behaviour on the campaign trail has shown he's incredibly shallow, easy to rile and can change his mind at the drop of a hat.

But if we're taking him at his word on the proposed Muslim ban, his actual current policy is increased checks on people visiting from "compromised" countries. Which to be honest they already do anyway. Try getting into the US with an Iranian stamp on your passport.

25 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

:1eye

12 minutes ago, Paco said:

"We should go for waterboarding and we should go tougher than waterboarding."

Advocating killing the families of terrorists was another brainwave.

You're aware Clinton has been taking part in the killing of suspected terrorist's families for years?   They launch drone strikes with no legal proceedings establishing guilt and target buildings full of children and families.   It's the exact same thing.  They also have been using torture for over a decade.   Neither candidate has the moral high ground there.

Archived