The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

IMG_1478729789.570358.jpg

This is fair. She isn't an inspiring person and she had no inspiring message. Why she focussed so much on trying to win solid red states like Georgia as opposed to just holding what Obama won is beyond me.

IMG_1478730093.409726.thumb.jpg.134b998c

Also somewhat interesting!

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

The more civilized areas voted for Clinton but the redreck states voted Trump.

Completely incorrect.

21 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

The mental breakdown's on twitter today are insane, people are acting like soon being gay will be illegal, being any colour other than white will be illegal, any other religion etc, Huffington post are posting suicide prevention hotline numbers... Get a fucking grip, even if he actually planned to do anything like that he need's the senate to get anything done

The Huffington Post is the Breitbart of the left, I wouldn't pay it much attention. I've seen a lot of people posting about LGBT worries under Trump - has he ever said anything derogatory about them? They're about the only minority group I can't think of him offending throughout this campaign (although of course I may have missed it). 

4 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

This election was a classic case of one side talking to the electorate and listening to the electorate and the other side existing in a bubble  and bypassing and ignoring a crucial constituency of the electorate.

A bit like Brexit.

Like Brexit, I doubt Trump will find it easy to deliver on his rhetoric. But he may surprise us ( hopefully in a good way !)

I wouldnt say Trump talked and listened, more picked up on the anger some people felt against the political establishment and manipulated it.  His base to begin with was religious nutters, 2nd amendment nutters, tea party nutters and rich old white guys.  Im assuming the people who would never vote for any woman probably fit into one of those groups.  He managed to whip up a populist vote by selling some nostalgic version of America (that never really existed) that he was going to restore and, along with the populists, crucially added the mainly white protest vote against the establishment.

Whilst the Democrats would never touch his base, they were sloppy and lazy with their choice of candidate.  Clinton, whilst deeply unpopular herself, was looking to surf the wave of Obama's relative popularity and she never had a chance of snaring the latter two groups of voters.  At least Sanders might have stopped the bleeding of the protest vote to Trump.

The whole thing has been exacerbated by mainly middle class commentators loudly shouting down any legitimate criticism of Clinton as misogyny, which just got people's backs up similar to Brexiters being dismissed solely as racists.

As for his rhetoric, given that he articulated very few actual policies it will be hard to pin him down on whether he actually delivers on anything bar a wall and banning muslims.  I fully expect the buffoon to be impeached within the first 2 years - the concern will be the rabid lunatics that surround him that nobody expected to see anywhere near a government ie Gingrich, Palin, Huckabee et al.

18 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

This election was a classic case of one side talking to the electorate and listening to the electorate and the other side existing in a bubble  and bypassing and ignoring a crucial constituency of the electorate.

A bit like Brexit.

Like Brexit, I doubt Trump will find it easy to deliver on his rhetoric. But he may surprise us ( hopefully in a good way !)

Most of the electorate voted for Clinton though...

Everything about American politics is ludicrous.

11 minutes ago, Sooky said:

IMG_1478729789.570358.jpg

This is fair. She isn't an inspiring person and she had no inspiring message. Why she focussed so much on trying to win solid red states like Georgia as opposed to just holding what Obama won is beyond me.

I think she was too pragmatic and far too honest (contrary to I think her undeserved reputation based on very little) to promise stuff she thought she couldn't deliver given financial constraints and a Republican House at least, if not the Senate. If she'd lied her head off like Trump with empty grand promises, she might have done better. Her main problem though was facing an experienced TV entertainer with the charisma of an Avon Lady, however well intentioned. I doubt if any tactical change would have made much difference, the swing that cost it wasn't so much the poor and angry lowly educated white man, it was middle class white men and women who turned out in their droves to vote for Trump. I heard Irvine Welsh say today that the poor whites mainly voted Democrat.

42 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

The mental breakdown's on twitter today are insane, people are acting like soon being gay will be illegal, being any colour other than white will be illegal, any other religion etc, Huffington post are posting suicide prevention hotline numbers... Get a fucking grip, even if he actually planned to do anything like that he need's the senate to get anything done

Apart from the things he has actually said about minorities, he's enabling and legitimising the views of millions of racists and bigots across America. In the same way the Brexit vote did for some morons here.

Just now, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Most of the electorate voted for Clinton though...

Everything about American politics is ludicrous.

I agree. British politics seems refined by comparison, ha ha .

Just like here there is a groundswell of dissatisfaction with the current ruling elite and where that has taken us....constant wars, globalisation over localism ,  the consolidation of wealth and assets in the hands of  a very small clique, the pace of change  within society  due to mass immigration etc .

People were told by the liberal mainstream that this was an inevitable and desirable path to travel and the people are trying to find a way to say they don't want that. Hence Trump and Brexit.

How this will pan out is  pure guesswork.

4 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Apart from the things he has actually said about minorities, he's enabling and legitimising the views of millions of racists and bigots across America. In the same way the Brexit vote did for some morons here.

That's the sort of ridiculous stereotyping that loses you elections.

1 minute ago, McSpreader said:

That's the sort of ridiculous stereotyping that loses you elections.

It's not something I'd say if I was running the Democrat campaign, but it's true. Some of his policy points have been about more extreme torture for terror suspects (and killing their families), banning all Muslims, and building a giant wall to keep out Mexicans.

The Huffington Post is the Breitbart of the left, I wouldn't pay it much attention. I've seen a lot of people posting about LGBT worries under Trump - has he ever said anything derogatory about them? They're about the only minority group I can't think of him offending throughout this campaign (although of course I may have missed it). 

Mike Pence around a decade or so ago wholeheartedly endorsed gay conversation therapy and, as far as I know, hasn't gone back on this.

Trump is a complete enigma though. Ironically, he would probably have formally been regarded as a highly liberal republican on social issues. But he just constantly flip flops. He agreed with same sex marriage, then he opposed it and said he would try and appoint justices to overturn it. He supported trans people using whatever bathroom they wanted, then he opposed it.

The scary thing about Trump is that you actually have no idea what he stands for.

Just now, DrewDon said:

I do like Michelle Obama, but I can't help thinking the fact that she is loudly being touted as the best anti-Trump hope for 2020 is a sobering indication of just how terribly thin the Democratic bench currently is.

Either Elizabeth Warren or Sanders would have done a much better job at tapping into the anti-establishment feeling than either Clinton or Michelle Obama could.

6 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

It's not something I'd say if I was running the Democrat campaign, but it's true. Some of his policy points have been about more extreme torture for terror suspects (and killing their families), banning all Muslims, and building a giant wall to keep out Mexicans.

He also spent years questioning whether the distinguish President was born in the U.S.  Can't see him doing that if Obama was white.

His comments on the use of torture where incredulous; I can't think of anyone else who would be elected in a Western democracy making that sort of statement.

Archived