Play off dates

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The playoffs (in the days of the SFL) were an extension of the league season ad not classified as a cup tournament.

Means home side keeps the gates and season tickets still valid.

Has that changed now we are the SPFL?

For the old sfl play-offs no, the games are treated the exact same, for the new play-offs between spfl and championship the league keeps 50% of the gate, part of the deal for the play-offs being introduced in the first place and helping the league pay out the increased prize money for championship teams.

The season tickets point isn't true btw it's the clubs discretion, if clubs sell season tickets as entry to all games then they would need to make them valid, but many sell season tickets as entry to 18 league games, so don't have to provide entry to play-offs.

For the old sfl play-offs no, the games are treated the exact same, for the new play-offs between spfl and championship the league keeps 50% of the gate, part of the deal for the play-offs being introduced in the first place and helping the league pay out the increased prize money for championship teams.

The season tickets point isn't true btw it's the clubs discretion, if clubs sell season tickets as entry to all games then they would need to make them valid, but many sell season tickets as entry to 18 league games, so don't have to provide entry to play-offs.

Yeah, we never provided entry to playoffs as part of the season ticket and the Premiership playoff rules specifically forbid letting season ticket holders in. The point of the 50% is actually to pay the parachute payment for the second relegated side incidentally though in the big picture it's still to go towards additional costs of the league so the effect is the same.

Why do they make the final a 2 legged affair? Surely a 1 leg final in a neutral venue halfway between the teams would be more exciting?

It would be more exciting but you'd either have to (1) arrange the venues at a week's notice or (2) have them prearranged, whether for Hampden over a weekend or at various different venues, and risk the chosen location being remote from both clubs.

You'd potentially get very low crowds for a League 1 or League 2 play-off final if it was at a neutral venue some distance from the clubs playing it. Leaving nobody happy.

Two changes since SPFL formed:

(1) Championship playoffs added (with 50% gates > SPFL)

(2) L1 & L2 playoff finals 2nd leg home advantage to higher-placed team. SFL randomly drew.

I see the Championship final second leg is scheduled for Saturday 16th, when, to use the last few years as a precedence, I'd have expected it to be played on Sunday 17th for TV.

Assuming it's televised, can we expect this to be moved to the Sunday or the now common Sarurday 5.30pm TV slot?

I see the Championship final second leg is scheduled for Saturday 16th, when, to use the last few years as a precedence, I'd have expected it to be played on Sunday 17th for TV.

Assuming it's televised, can we expect this to be moved to the Sunday or the now common Sarurday 5.30pm TV slot?

Who usually broadcasts it, Alba?

It will be moved to Sunday with a 4:05 KO

• 2 weeks later...

Arbroath - Best day out of the five

Queen's Park - I guess it could be interesting since i've never seen us play in a league game at Hampden before

Stenhousemuir - Quite enjoy the away day, plus our matches tend to be pretty good

Ayr - 12 points

East Fife - The thought of potentially having to travel to both Methil and Cowdenbeath is more depressing than this season

So basically anyone but East Fife.

Do Livi (if finish 9th) go to Brechin the Wednesday or Saturday?

Who's at home first in the final

Livi(or whoever) would be at home for the 2nd leg for both rounds.

9th is viewed as the highest position, and highest placed is at home 2nd.

Out of the 4 teams we are most definitely the ones with the worst form

Which either means we will win them or get humped

Hoping that Stenny finish 9th. Ayr are probably the biggest part time club in the country, should be in the 2nd. Also our midweek away tie if (and that's a very big if) we get past QP would be through in Stenhousemuir, which is only an hour and a bits drive. Would bring a good travelling support through, to Ayr on a Wednesday I couldn't see that many travelling.

Nervous about next Wednesday already, although I'm not sure why, we will end up getting pumped

Archived