Line of Duty.

John Lambies Doos

20 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Last night we are expected to believe that buckells was the messenger, so how did they get the power over him etc 

What? They established that Buckells acted as a messenger purely because it was extra cash in his pocket. They didn't have leverage over him, he was just greedy.

He might have fallen in after the Lawrence Christopher case but how he got involved isn't that important, really. Osborne obviously had influence over him though because of the Lawrence Christopher case and because he's the Chief Constable. 

unironically would have preferred them to just bring in Lee Mack for the finale (or Jason Isaacs who tbf would have been a worthy addition to the main cast anyway) and make him H, playing Boston - More than a Feeling before a Sopranos style fade to black.

I sort of get the charitable takes on it being exactly what they were aiming for - the last line literally spells it out to you on screen that anti-corruption has never been weaker - but can't shake the view that it was a really, really dull ending. End of the day if you're building up a big mystery box for multiple seasons hinting at leaks coming from within AC-12, then open it up and it's just a couple of tickets to the box factory in fucking Birmingham then it's hard not to feel let down. 

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I never watch TV series but enjoyed the clips Googlebox showed of this series so watched last nights. A resounding meh! Even from my limited knowledge it was underwhelming having buckles as H. Also in a non pervy way I was hoping Kate and Jo would get together 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I never watch TV series but enjoyed the clips Googlebox showed of this series so watched last nights. A resounding meh! Even from my limited knowledge it was underwhelming having buckles as H. Also in a non pervy way I was hoping Kate and Jo would get together 

There is so much wrong here.

Don't think it was as bad as it was made out to be and there are still so many questions to answer that I think there must be a series 7 on the way.

One interesting bit that I haven't seen mentioned before came during the interview with Buckles. It might help that due to having a very loud 10 month old baby in the house we watch with the subtitles on, but when Buckles was talking about how the OCG was organised after Tommy Hunter was killed and going through a list of names, he got to Hilton and Cottan then the subtitles had "and..." as if he was going to say another name or pair of names but Hastings cut him off, said "You?" then smiled. Seemed a bit weird. I'm not in the "Hastings is H" camp but why didn't he wait for the next name?

Then at the end, when Buckles was getting sent down, he looked a bit despondent when he was led into the cell, but as the prison officer closed the door he smiled, and that was the last sign of him before the little slot closed. It might be relief that he's in a secure unit and won't get killed, but it didn't look that way to me. Seemed to be a knowing smile, like everything was going to turn out OK in the end.

Wouldn't be a huge shock to me if Thurlwell/Nesbitt turned up as the real Fourth Man in the next - final - series, with a newly pensioned off Hastings having to call in favours and possibly break the law (which he obviously famously goes on about following it to the letter, fella; the letter) to finally get his man.Screenshot_20210504-102044_BBC%20iPlayer.jpegScreenshot_20210504-101959_BBC%20iPlayer.jpegScreenshot_20210504-102050_BBC%20iPlayer.jpegScreenshot_20210504-102219_BBC%20iPlayer.jpeg

Don't think it was as bad as it was made out to be and there are still so many questions to answer that I think there must be a series 7 on the way.

One interesting bit that I haven't seen mentioned before came during the interview with Buckles. It might help that due to having a very loud 10 month old baby in the house we watch with the subtitles on, but when Buckles was talking about how the OCG was organised after Tommy Hunter was killed and going through a list of names, he got to Hilton and Cottan then the subtitles had "and..." as if he was going to say another name or pair of names but Hastings cut him off, said "You?" then smiled. Seemed a bit weird. I'm not in the "Hastings is H" camp but why didn't he wait for the next name?

Then at the end, when Buckles was getting sent down, he looked a bit despondent when he was led into the cell, but as the prison officer closed the door he smiled, and that was the last sign of him before the little slot closed. It might be relief that he's in a secure unit and won't get killed, but it didn't look that way to me. Seemed to be a knowing smile, like everything was going to turn out OK in the end.

Wouldn't be a huge shock to me if Thurlwell/Nesbitt turned up as the real Fourth Man in the next - final - series, with a newly pensioned off Hastings having to call in favours and possibly break the law (which he obviously famously goes on about following it to the letter, fella; the letter) to finally get his man.1276825617_Screenshot_20210504-102044_BBC20iPlayer.thumb.jpeg.ddffed47ca250a97d9da5f0fa5df8543.jpeg25949134_Screenshot_20210504-101959_BBC20iPlayer.thumb.jpeg.acf4e1a1844b975c4996a33147bc5620.jpeg2138881992_Screenshot_20210504-102050_BBC20iPlayer.thumb.jpeg.e5b2fdc7a7da29e814bb6b0916da4d13.jpeg1076446022_Screenshot_20210504-102219_BBC20iPlayer.thumb.jpeg.a7743e9d8af59645d4bbf7fcc7d73d06.jpeg
The point you make on Nesbitt is why I think theres bound to be another series. I can't believe they'd just use a couple of headshots / random photos of him when they could have used anyone.

7 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
9 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Wouldn't be a huge shock to me if Thurlwell/Nesbitt turned up as the real Fourth Man in the next - final - series, with a newly pensioned off Hastings having to call in favours and possibly break the law (which he obviously famously goes on about following it to the letter, fella; the letter) to finally get his man.1276825617_Screenshot_20210504-102044_BBC20iPlayer.thumb.jpeg.ddffed47ca250a97d9da5f0fa5df8543.jpeg25949134_Screenshot_20210504-101959_BBC20iPlayer.thumb.jpeg.acf4e1a1844b975c4996a33147bc5620.jpeg2138881992_Screenshot_20210504-102050_BBC20iPlayer.thumb.jpeg.e5b2fdc7a7da29e814bb6b0916da4d13.jpeg1076446022_Screenshot_20210504-102219_BBC20iPlayer.thumb.jpeg.a7743e9d8af59645d4bbf7fcc7d73d06.jpeg

The point you make on Nesbitt is why I think theres bound to be another series. I can't believe they'd just use a couple of headshots / random photos of him when they could have used anyone.

They probably used his mugshots given he is starring in bloodlands and its a talking point for LoD and free PR for nesbitt, i wouldnt read much into it at all given he was confirmed dead unless the ocg has hold over the spanish authorities as well

I think folk are reading too much into the Nesbit thing.
I am sure I read/heard Nisbet made a jokey comment about not being involved when they both filmed in Belfast and I think Mercurio has squeezed him in that way.

I enjoyed it with the conclusion of so many story lines. So it wasn't all big drama but I found it quite effective with the opportunity to continue if needed.
Loved them jumping out the prison van on the OCG and the finding of the evidence box that the OCG used as leverage, linking to previous storylines as well as demise of Ryan.
Loved the occ health engagement being about support rather than demonisation and that it had been instigated by Ted in a positive way.
Liked the honesty of Ted and the conclusion of the John Corbett/his mum/ Ted triangle
Liked it was Buckles hiding in plain site and that none of the suggested plot outcomes I'd seen suggested him. Do i think he's the final part... Nah, he kept saying he passed on the messages so who is directing him??
Liked that Jimmy Nesbitt wasn't parachuted in and had no additional presence.
Liked the happy ending for Jo and Terry Boyle who had horrible life experiences through no fault of their own.
Liked Kate's return to AC12 and the resolution of differences between the three amigos.
Liked the prison guards getting their come uppance.
Liked that Chris and Chloe are good guys.. (so far..)
Liked that it's now in Carmichaels hands to decide how she progresses with the info Ted gave her - love her character.
Leaves open the institutionalised corruption aspects which can be found in so many organisations and liked the fact it unfortunately reflects current UK government shenanigans.

So all in all, not bad for 60mins entertainment and plenty openings for another series though equally happy if it stops there.

The whole security box thing i thought was laughable, every bit of evidence required to tie up 4 different murders all in the one box for the police to find

Id even have preferred buckells admitting setting up the murders instead so that they can be concluded instead of the lootbox under the cement lol

The whole security box thing i thought was laughable, every bit of evidence required to tie up 4 different murders all in the one box for the police to find
Id even have preferred buckells admitting setting up the murders instead so that they can be concluded instead of the lootbox under the cement lol
The one bit of thar scene that got me was that Chris was listong what was found. Clearly hes hes going to list everything that was found, but Steve steamed in with "was there any items found that implicated Philip Osbourne in the box?".

There was no need for him to say that

49 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The one bit of thar scene that got me was that Chris was listong what was found. Clearly hes hes going to list everything that was found, but Steve steamed in with "was there any items found that implicated Philip Osbourne in the box?".

There was no need for him to say that

Aye that was a belter, as if there was gonna be something covered in his prints or stuff in there 😂

5 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Aye that was a belter, as if there was gonna be something covered in his prints or stuff in there 😂

Have a little patience Stevie boy. Im sure the lad who is methodically describing the contents will get to that if its there. Hes probably aware of its potential importance 

The biggest thing that annoyed me in this series was the 'cliffhanger' at the end of episode 5 with Kate and Ryan.

The OCG that's been ruthless for 6 series (Ryan even gave Jo a warning with 'that's how easy it is, Jo' earlier on in the series) suddenly lure Kate to a remote area, allow Jo to give Kate fair warning of what's about to happen and Ryan turns into a quivering mess about it.

Classic TV tactic but really irritated me.

The biggest thing that annoyed me in this series was the 'cliffhanger' at the end of episode 5 with Kate and Ryan.
The OCG that's been ruthless for 6 series (Ryan even gave Jo a warning with 'that's how easy it is, Jo' earlier on in the series) suddenly lure Kate to a remote area, allow Jo to give Kate fair warning of what's about to happen and Ryan turns into a quivering mess about it.
Classic TV tactic but really irritated me.

Especially when the main trailer for the season was a shot from the next episode showing Kate and Jo surrounded by the Police and Ted telling Kate to surrender but she'd have the full protection of the law.

I enjoyed it with the conclusion of so many story lines. So it wasn't all big drama but I found it quite effective with the opportunity to continue if needed.
Loved them jumping out the prison van on the OCG and the finding of the evidence box that the OCG used as leverage, linking to previous storylines as well as demise of Ryan.
Loved the occ health engagement being about support rather than demonisation and that it had been instigated by Ted in a positive way.
Liked the honesty of Ted and the conclusion of the John Corbett/his mum/ Ted triangle
Liked it was Buckles hiding in plain site and that none of the suggested plot outcomes I'd seen suggested him. Do i think he's the final part... Nah, he kept saying he passed on the messages so who is directing him??
Liked that Jimmy Nesbitt wasn't parachuted in and had no additional presence.
Liked the happy ending for Jo and Terry Boyle who had horrible life experiences through no fault of their own.
Liked Kate's return to AC12 and the resolution of differences between the three amigos.
Liked the prison guards getting their come uppance.
Liked that Chris and Chloe are good guys.. (so far..)
Liked that it's now in Carmichaels hands to decide how she progresses with the info Ted gave her - love her character.
Leaves open the institutionalised corruption aspects which can be found in so many organisations and liked the fact it unfortunately reflects current UK government shenanigans.

So all in all, not bad for 60mins entertainment and plenty openings for another series though equally happy if it stops there.
Drag storyline out for 6 episodes/series & rush multiple, weak, conclusions through in 60 mins? #meh

Started watching back through this again a couple of weeks ago as felt there was a lot of references made in series 6 that completely bypassed me / I'd forgotten about.

Currently about half way through season 5 and I'd forgotten how good a character John Corbett is. Probably my favourite character throughout the show.