Line of Duty.

John Lambies Doos

I thought it was a very weak finale. Like others, I found myself getting bored of the Hastings interrogation - it was gripping at the end of the penultimate episode but whilst interesting, was slowly becoming torturous in the finale. I thought the selection of Gill as this season's 'baddy' was far too obvious and convenient to be the answer; yet so it was.  Like the Bodyguard, I felt it was all suspense and then when it actually came to the crunch, was quite disappointing. 

There was so much more that could have been explained with Lisa's character; having her sailing off into the sunset, telling kids how to avoid crime, seemed incongruous with the fact she failed to disclose that Ryan was (presumably) joining the Police to filter info to the OCG. Also, why was she seemingly reluctant to kill anyone? Who was the copper she met in the brothel - was that ever clarified? Was it actually Hargreaves or was he just a fall guy? Because if it was him, surely you have your four bent coppers - Hilton, Gill, Hargreaves and Dot - and the show is over. Maybe this will be covered in the next season...

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

I'd happily watch an hour of just straight interviews but that seems to be the only decent writing on the show. They'd completely run out of ideas by the end there

I think they should have left it on a cliffhanger of ted being charged with murder, spend the next series dealing with that and uncovering gills part, 

Its almost like the either ran out of time to properly explore the gill aspect, or had too much time and filled it with shite contrived endings

I never really bought ted as the bad guy at all. They should have worked on creating more central characters from the start rather than having to a) make the most honest cop in the whole game do a heel turn or b) go down the 'one of ac12 gets framed for a murder they didn't commit' route which they already did previously.

As whodunits go, Gill was like the worst reveal I've seen in a while. I'm glad that storyline is finished with. Hopefully next season we get a much better ending

22 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I was also puzzled at her saying ( I think) that Corbett was killed by the Slavonic chap and the gang were all dead-I am sure it was the Ryan guy in Episode 4 who the appears as the new entrant to Police training? It reminded me of the "Departed" film plot? Still plenty of loose threads for Series 6.  Have enjoyed the series but the last 15 minutes did defy logic but that's the fun

If course it was Ryan, she lied. He's now joined the police and she gets a job for co-operating.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If course it was Ryan, she lied. He's now joined the police and she gets a job for co-operating.

I agree but they appear to have simply accepted the word of a crook and helped her out. Anti corruption indeed or just waiting for the new scripts to be written? I look forward to Series 6 having been a late arrival to LOD

Was Gill a copper??

I thought she was some sort of lawyer.

I think she was also the worst bad guy in the show so far.

Ryan's past not getting called up as he joins the polis is poor. It's too easy to suddenly say "Someone got him in" etc.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Was Gill a copper??

I thought she was some sort of lawyer.

I think she was also the worst bad guy in the show so far.

Ryan's past not getting called up as he joins the polis is poor. It's too easy to suddenly say "Someone got him in" etc.

She was in someway, i canny mind what though 

The 4 dots thing doesn't solve the problem of the big boss. Dot was recruited as were the other 2. It's who recruited them that is the big question.

I also felt the ending was a bit rushed. Perhaps they originally planned for 2 episodes but moved it to a 90 minute one instead.

I've heard there is supposed to be another 2 series but I'm kinda hoping they just do 1 more, make it amazing and end on a high instead.

The 4 dots thing doesn't solve the problem of the big boss. Dot was recruited as were the other 2. It's who recruited them that is the big question.

I also felt the ending was a bit rushed. Perhaps they originally planned for 2 episodes but moved it to a 90 minute one instead.

I've heard there is supposed to be another 2 series but I'm kinda hoping they just do 1 more, make it amazing and end on a high instead.
Think one of the papers said that Martin Compton was signed up for 2 more series but Jed Mercurio has said it's a load of nonsense and that he hasn't even started writing the 6th series yet. I agree that they should do a superb final series then call it a day, but maybe have the young guy Ryan joining AC-3 or getting a promotion or something at the very end to show that it never ends...

On 06/05/2019 at 09:19, PrestersKTID said:

Absolutely hated that Carmichael, she was doing my box in. Patronising wee smirks and noises to ted, clearly pushing for a few good men outburst from him.

Had the feeling that Ted was Corbett dad or something the way he reacted to finding out he was that Anne-Maries boy.

I thought she was a great addition and was a really good character.  Hopefully see more of her in the next season.  

2 hours ago, Eric said:

I thought she was a great addition and was a really good character.  Hopefully see more of her in the next season.  

this actually, yeah. Very good at being ultra patronising and delivering smarmy lines which imo works well when they're delivered against an established character (like seeing a stranger acting like a cheeky c**t to an old friend or something)

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

After a great series, I can't help feeling the end was a bit of an anti climax.

I absolutely don't believe for one second that Dot was giving out subliminal morse code messages as his life force ebbed away.  If I'd saw that, I'd have thought it was his muscles spasming which made his fingers twitch. 

As much as I love LoD, I can't help but feel it's going to suffer from "Lost" syndrome - a hugely popular programme that gets padded beyond it's original life expectancy, just as an excuse to make another few series.

1 hour ago, Fide said:

After a great series, I can't help feeling the end was a bit of an anti climax.

I absolutely don't believe for one second that Dot was giving out subliminal morse code messages as his life force ebbed away.  If I'd saw that, I'd have thought it was his muscles spasming which made his fingers twitch. 

As much as I love LoD, I can't help but feel it's going to suffer from "Lost" syndrome - a hugely popular programme that gets padded beyond it's original life expectancy, just as an excuse to make another few series.

I thought that's how they were initially gonna explain his blink. "look at his twitchy fingers, he wasn't blinking".

Let down is a strong word but it did feel like an episode ending rather than a series.

On 09/05/2019 at 13:09, Thistle_do_nicely said:

this actually, yeah. Very good at being ultra patronising and delivering smarmy lines which imo works well when they're delivered against an established character (like seeing a stranger acting like a cheeky c**t to an old friend or something)

Doesn't really make sense to act like that in a police interview though I don't think.

Any real police interview I've ever watched starts off really friendly only to get more and more persuasive later on. They're supposed to be eliciting a confession. How is being a patronising c**t ever going to achieve that?

Not to say the character wasn't good at it, I just don't think it worked