Japan

Crash Bandicoot

I loved Osaka, they love a party.

There's a ridiculous bar with a swimming pool and candy floss machine that particularly loved three Scots coming in.

The people in Osaka appeared much friendlier in terms of just coming over and talking. Although I found the easiest way to start conversations is to have a massive beer in your hand

How did you enjoy Miyajima? Looking to go there next time I visit? And how were the flights via Istanbul. I'm looking at going that way next time, having gone via Amsterdam in the past?

Miyajima was great. You can get over there with your JR pass. When I was there the weather was perfect so you could see for miles from the top of Mt. Misen. Deer all over the place.

Hasn't rained a drop the entire trip. Pretty much constant sunshine and 23-26 degrees. I didnt expect it to be so warm so I wasn't best prepared with my clothes choices.

The flight over via Istanbul was great. The food was better than edible, flight was on time and there was live Bundesliga on so that passed a couple of hours. With it being a night flight as well it wasnt difficult to sleep. No complaints.

I'm in Kansai airport just now. A few hours until my flight but I had nothing else to do so just going to grab some food and browse on the phone. One of those rare trips when you feel a bit sick coming home. Dreading work on Thursday.

• 1 month later...

Away back in March after a 5 day stopover in Hong Kong. My brother is coming with me this time and he hasn't been before so I'm away back to Tokyo and Kansai again, but the last time I didn't have nearly enough time to see everything so I'm going to fill in all the gaps. Still plenty to do.

Gives me time to brush up on my Japanese.

How much are we roughly talking travelling from the uk and back? Mate in oz went over to Tokyo and said it was a cracking city.

Got a couple of places I want to still do before I inevitably settle down.

Both times I've got my flights for £370 return. Which for the distance traveled isn't too bad. Turkish Airlines via Istanbul.

Accommodation can be as expensive or as affordable as you want it to be. It's not cheap cheap, but there are good affordable hotels and capsules out there.

Both times I've got my flights for £370 return. Which for the distance traveled isn't too bad. Turkish Airlines via Istanbul.

Accommodation can be as expensive or as affordable as you want it to be. It's not cheap cheap, but there are good affordable hotels and capsules out there.

That is a pretty decent price but I'm guessing it depends on what time of year you go. I was £1100 to go to Perth via London and Kuala Lumper.

That is a pretty decent price but I'm guessing it depends on what time of year you go. I was £1100 to go to Perth via London and Kuala Lumper.

I've seen return flights to Kansai from Edinburgh KLM as low as about £495. It's a quicker route than Turkish and leaves in the morning coming back and arrives same day, Turkish leaves late at night and arrives around midday next day. KLM will also soon be operating 787s to Japan, previously it was fairly antique 747s.

I've seen return flights to Kansai from Edinburgh KLM as low as about £495. It's a quicker route than Turkish and leaves in the morning coming back and arrives same day, Turkish leaves late at night and arrives around midday next day. KLM will also soon be operating 787s to Japan, previously it was fairly antique 747s.

Went with KLM last year and their service was crap. Drink choice was whisky, vodka, wine or beer and in flight entertainment was really poor. If these do not matter too much and they are cheap enough why not?

Edited by Hard Graft

The longer route doesn't bother me all that much. I quite like flying out late at night as it's far easier to sleep and you get a full day to do whatever you want before the flight.

I'm not a fan of KLM either, but if they're cheap and it gets me there then I'd probably go for it.

Edited by S7C

• 3 weeks later...

Depends who you book with. Etihad or Emirates are usually about 500quid return (via Abu Dhabi or Dubai) to KL. Then you can get an Air Asia X from KL to Perth for about 150-200 return.

Bit of footering through different companies but not a big deal for the saving involved.

• 4 weeks later...

Went there for the weekend (scooted over from South Korea) last year and heading there for a crammed 6 days this year. Two nights in Tokyo and thinking about Kanazawa for the museum and maybe two other places.

I'll probably get the JR rail card for a week as I quite enjoy travelling by train. I'd appreciate suggestions as to what other two places I should make a wee stop and overnight stay in, given that I can travel all over the place. I've seen plenty of shrines and palaces already....

I have to fly back from Osaka.

Do you have to book each train journey before you travel with the JR pass?

Ta

You can just jump on one of the unreserved seat carriages with your JR pass. I'd work it if it's actually worth it though. I doubt the Shinkansen to Kanazawa and the trip from there to KIX would come in above the cost of the pass.

Kanazawa is a nice place, fantastic seafood in and around the market, an exquisite garden and a nice old teahouse district. It's great to visit due to being one of the largest places in Japan aside from Kyoto to avoid the bombs during WWII (alas, not mid-20th century Japanese town planning).

I'd like to visit Shirakawa-go and Gokayama some day, you can stay a night in one of the old style farm houses. Takayama is a nice, nice town and not far from Kanazawa. Plenty of Onsen places in shooting distance from Kanazawa too if you're into that. You could reach Kanazawa from Tokyo via Matsumoto, which has a surviving non-reconstructed castle and a huge wasabi farm.

Kyoto and Nara are the obvious two other places to visit in that part of Japan and would be a natural progression from Kanazawa towards KIX. Heavy on shrines and palaces, but the most spectacular ones are there. Best website to plan trips and check prices is this one:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

May be in Japan myself later this year and am very much looking forward to sampling a strong zero or two while doing the rail pass thing.

375.jpg

Booked 2 weeks in Japan for Easter. Probably first week in Tokyo and surrounding then down to Kyoto area for the 2nd week then back up to Tokyo for flight home. Already made a fair list of things to do from reading this thread. Much appreciated.

Kyoto and Nara are the obvious two other places to visit in that part of Japan and would be a natural progression from Kanazawa towards KIX. Heavy on shrines and palaces, but the most spectacular ones are there. Best website to plan trips and check prices is this one:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

May be in Japan myself later this year and am very much looking forward to sampling a strong zero or two while doing the rail pass thing.

375.jpg

Had a wee look at a website discussing Strong Zero. Seems to be mental stuff that gets you seriously bevvied very quickly and / or makes you vomit.

Bring it on.