#BanTheBigots

This has shown up on my timeline a few dozen times today, and having a look at it, it seems that a large number of fans are taking up where Stan Collymore left off this week.

I do think it's a critical cause and have already RT'd myself, so thought I'd urge you all to do likewise.

BanTheBigots_zps71009742.jpg

Basically the jist seems to be that we need all our clubs to "authorise" the SPL to enact powers regarding bans or deductions and so on.

I would like us to get to a situation where if singing is heard - as in Hampden recently - we don't have a toothless bunch of erseholes sitting on their hands, and it seems clear that our media isn't going to do anything to hold them to account either! i can't see Doncaster et al changing soon though!

So... I'm going to email Aberdeen FC directly, and post this up on Twitter and Facebook as well. If I can find out who to hassle at the various newspapers I will do that too.

Sorry for the spam-ish post, but I don't know anyone that isn't sick of and embarrassed by these clowns.

Personally I would take the attitude when there's racist or sectarian chanting it results in docked points, being chucked out a cup competition, being forced to play behind closed doors. I think that's the only way the message will get through.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Italian example, where clubs are forced to play in front of empty stadiums resultant of racist chanting etc., sets something of a precedent that could be adopted here. Those actions havent resolved the problem, but are at least a stronger stand than the weak shite we see here.

Would be happy to see something similar over here.

This has shown up on my timeline a few dozen times today, and having a look at it, it seems that a large number of fans are taking up where Stan Collymore left off this week.

What was Collymore saying? Talksport's one of the biggest succulent lamb media outlets whilst Brazil is a perpetual OF = Scottish football shite spouter so I'd be pleasantly amazed to hear the station come out with anything anti-bigot brother.

Could we get that here? The club's seem focused on short-term self-interest over all else

Remains to be seen... although fan power seemed to play a big part in the re-structuring 'discussions' recently, with the resulted that short-term self-interest-mongers like Milne were in tears at not getting their way. So hopefully if there is a ground-swell of fan opinion behind this it may actually get considered seriously?

There is perhaps a political element to be taken advantage of too? Politicians fucking love to pretend they are real people, and in touch with the working class, by trying to care about football. See the Red Tory Jim Henson puppet Jim Murphy for a case in point, who missed voting on a Fracking Bill to get his photo taken playing keepy-uppy in Aberdeen. Appearing anti-bigotry looks pretty good when it gets levered into the Daily Record or whatever too (see the Offensive Behaviour Act put in place by the SNP, albeit this was arguably a lot less pathetic than Murphy playing Keepy-Uppy instead of doing his job). So as cynical as I am about the motivations for whichever politician may pick up on something like this, I do think its pretty feasible that one of them would see it as an opportunity, and may add some weight to it.

^^^All pretty much pulled out my arse.

Remains to be seen... although fan power seemed to play a big part in the re-structuring 'discussions' recently, with the resulted that short-term self-interest-mongers like Milne were in tears at not getting their way. So hopefully if there is a ground-swell of fan opinion behind this it may actually get considered seriously?

There is perhaps a political element to be taken advantage of too? Politicians fucking love to pretend they are real people, and in touch with the working class, by trying to care about football. See the Red Tory Jim Henson puppet Jim Murphy for a case in point, who missed voting on a Fracking Bill to get his photo taken playing keepy-uppy in Aberdeen. Appearing anti-bigotry looks pretty good when it gets levered into the Daily Record or whatever too (see the Offensive Behaviour Act put in place by the SNP, albeit this was arguably a lot less pathetic than Murphy playing Keepy-Uppy instead of doing his job). So as cynical as I am about the motivations for whichever politician may pick up on something like this, I do think its pretty feasible that one of them would see it as an opportunity, and may add some weight to it.

he would have 'paired' with an opposing MP, so both their 'votes' counted

I do think it's a critical cause and have already RT'd myself, so thought I'd urge you all to do likewise.

BanTheBigots_zps71009742.jpg

Basically the jist seems to be that we need all our clubs to "authorise" the SPL to enact powers regarding bans or deductions and so on.

I would like us to get to a situation where if singing is heard - as in Hampden recently - we don't have a toothless bunch of erseholes sitting on their hands, and it seems clear that our media isn't going to do anything to hold them to account either! i can't see Doncaster et al changing soon though!

So... I'm going to email Aberdeen FC directly, and post this up on Twitter and Facebook as well. If I can find out who to hassle at the various newspapers I will do that too.

Sorry for the spam-ish post, but I don't know anyone that isn't sick of and embarrassed by these clowns.

Personally I would take the attitude when there's racist or sectarian chanting it results in docked points, being chucked out a cup competition, being forced to play behind closed doors. I think that's the only way the message will get through.

I am no fan of Doncaster but let's be perfectly clear, the blames lies with the SFA/SPFL members not their chief executive. The issue of taking action or not taking action against football 'fans' is a policy matter. The chairmen who make up the committees of the governing bodies are the only ones who can tackle this.

Tom English made the point on radio on Saturday that UEFA take the position that a club is responsible for the action of its supporters. The SFA/SPFL position is that as long as they think the club is "doing all it can" to address the problem then the club will not be help accountable.

IMO it is time for us to adopt the far tougher UEFA position but this will require the club chairmen to collectively adopt that policy.

he would have 'paired' with an opposing MP, so both their 'votes' counted

In general, yes, but for this vote Labour MPs abstained anyway. So he wouldn't have voted anyway.

I would have thought, given the Blairite accusations thrown at him and the hard job he has on to turn the electorate-survey results around, he would at least be present at the vote to try and reinforce the impression he is taking big issues like fracking seriously. That he didn't turn up at all was a bit surprising, albeit he maybe didn't want to have to answer hard questions. That he didn't turn up so he could throw some photos around of him playing with a football was more surprising, it didnt create a good impression in a lot of quarters. But of much more relevance, I'm still not sure what the message of that photo-op was, other than "I'm Jim, I like football, I'm just like you". Which was the main point I was trying to make.

Bit of a detour from the thread, so apologies for that :ph34r:

F'ck me, did Murphy shite in your Bovril or something?

What was Collymore saying? Talksport's one of the biggest succulent lamb media outlets whilst Brazil is a perpetual OF = Scottish football shite spouter so I'd be pleasantly amazed to hear the station come out with anything anti-bigot brother.

He was basically saying that the sectarian chanting at Hampden was the same type of blight on the game/society as the far more publicised racist behaviour in Paris.

He also said that it was notable that at least Chelsea, for all their faults, seemed determined to stamp it out, whereas Rangers clearly aren't.

If you punished the club though for the actions of a few absolute cretins, would that stop said cretins from just doing it again? I have my doubts. I suppose you could have a sliding scale - on it happening the club can be told to sort it out themselves or face consequences - but I just don't think it'll stop them.

Will the recent stuff with Chelsea stop some other Chelsea fans from being like that? Probably not. So the Old Firm have no chance when they're doing less.

. I also think he's a c**t. I didnt hide that very well did I :(

no need, the guy is a grade A thundercunt with a dash of utter knobache mixed in.

If you punished the club though for the actions of a few absolute cretins, would that stop said cretins from just doing it again? I have my doubts. I suppose you could have a sliding scale - on it happening the club can be told to sort it out themselves or face consequences - but I just don't think it'll stop them.

Will the recent stuff with Chelsea stop some other Chelsea fans from being like that? Probably not. So the Old Firm have no chance when they're doing less.

The thing is though, on Friday night it wasn't a few cretins, it was (or sounded like) a large part of the support, as it was at Hampden at the semi final.

And if the clubs we're threatened with stadium closures, point deductions etc, i think there is a very good chance that it would stop.

It we could just stick to the league party line of "the clubs do everything in their power to stop it".

The thing is though, on Friday night it wasn't a few cretins, it was (or sounded like) a large part of the support, as it was at Hampden at the semi final.

And if the clubs we're threatened with stadium closures, point deductions etc, i think there is a very good chance that it would stop.

It we could just stick to the league party line of "the clubs do everything in their power to stop it".

If it's a large part of the support at a game, then it's probably still a minority of the entire support, although that doesn't mean much I suppose when the "public" face of the support is acting like that.

I'd like to think that if the clubs were threatened with that, then it would, but I get the feeling they'd just cry conspiracy, act the victim, and carry on regardless. All the while the supporters who aren't bigots, and the club who - for the most part - would rather it didn't happen, get the punishment.

He was basically saying that the sectarian chanting at Hampden was the same type of blight on the game/society as the far more publicised racist behaviour in Paris.

He also said that it was notable that at least Chelsea, for all their faults, seemed determined to stamp it out, whereas Rangers clearly aren't.

Great thanks. I've managed to catch up with it.

It's great to see somebody in the media finally tell it like it is. Naturally it has to come from outside of Scotland though. The great pity is that people will shoot the messenger as they don't like him. I'll get behind anyone willing to help bring down the two sectarian institutions that blight our game.

Archived