What would 5 more years of the Tories mean?

FlyerTon

Highly skilled professionan actually

Starting to worry that you'll actually be forced to get a job are you?

I've always found it strange that some folk on the right seem to think folk on the left must be on benefits - like we're desperate for more help for ourselves.

Is it that inconceivable that as a teacher the thing I want from politics is a fairer society? Maybe its because those on the right seem to have more of a 'look after number one' approach to life.

Just an observation.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always found it strange that some folk on the right seem to think folk on the left must be on benefits - like we're desperate for more help for ourselves.

Is it that inconceivable that as a teacher the thing I want from politics is a fairer society? Maybe its because those on the right seem to have more of a 'look after number one' approach to life.

Just an observation.

As an observation, I too want a fairer society, my definition being a society with the minimum of interference in peoples lives, a society in which free speech is an absolute, a society where I decide how to spend my money instead of some kleptocratic politician stealing it from me under the guise of "social justice", and handing it to their supporters in order that they keep producing the litters of mewling cabbages to keep the current corrupt system going. I could go on, but I'll just finish by saying that when I was at school, the more left wing a teacher was, the more useless they were at teaching, I sincerely hope that you're bucking this trend for the sake of your pupils.

As an observation, I too want a fairer society, my definition being a society with the minimum of interference in peoples lives, a society in which free speech is an absolute, a society where I decide how to spend my money instead of some kleptocratic politician stealing it from me under the guise of "social justice", and handing it to their supporters in order that they keep producing the litters of mewling cabbages to keep the current corrupt system going. I could go on, but I'll just finish by saying that when I was at school, the more left wing a teacher was, the more useless they were at teaching, I sincerely hope that you're bucking this trend for the sake of your pupils.

You claim to want a fairer society but then go on to criticise and stigmatise poor folk. I guess that comes down to a very different definition of the word fair.

The timing of when Indyref2 happens certainly isn't rocket science.

Maybe you're right that the SNP will think they'll never be this popular again and might press the button next year.

It's not unreasonable however to expect the SNP to want to have a public mandate in both Westminster and Holyrood elections before announcing it which would make 2021 the manifesto to watch. They need to be certain of victory if they go again.

We'll know soon enough.

If the Tories are in Downing Street on May 8th, no matter how well the SNP did, they will "crank-up" the " Tories in charge, Scotland did not vote for them" rhetoric, a no-brainer really, they talk about a week being a long time in politics, why would they wait until the manifesto for 2021 for #indyref2, when everyone knows that politicians and governments do have a "shelf life" and after a possible 14 years in charge, the people might just "fancy" a change, just a thought

Just an observation.

Trouble is. who decides what a fairer society is.

I am long enough in the tooth to see what the 1960/80's unions did to promote a fairer society.

Well paid greedy miners putting self employed/small business grafters out of work for a start, that was not very fair.

Nowadays we have working class pensioners with a bit of savings getting zilch return whilst the banks/building societies support the rich middle classes with low cost mortgages.

Trouble is. who decides what a fairer society is.

I am long enough in the tooth to see what the 1960/80's unions did to promote a fairer society.

Well paid greedy miners putting self employed/small business grafters out of work for a start, that was not very fair.

Nowadays we have working class pensioners with a bit of savings getting zilch return whilst the banks/building societies support the rich middle classes with low cost mortgages.

Your point about the miners outs you as someone to be ignored.

Quite happy if Dave wins a clear majority, bar some issues done an okay job for me, get an EU referendum and reform of the disastrous human rights situ. We'll see continued efforts to reduce the deficit which at £90 billion a year is still way too high. The thought of a Lab or La/SNP coalition is quite horrific tbh, I definitely prefer Mrs Sturgeon to Murphy, and maybe they are the best party to run the executive in Holyrood, but no more than that.

Quite happy if Dave wins a clear majority, bar some issues done an okay job for me, get an EU referendum and reform of the disastrous human rights situ. We'll see continued efforts to reduce the deficit which at £90 billion a year is still way too high. The thought of a Lab or La/SNP coalition is quite horrific tbh, I definitely prefer Mrs Sturgeon to Murphy, and maybe they are the best party to run the executive in Holyrood, but no more than that.

What do you not like abour human rights?

reform of the disastrous human rights situ.

What do you not like abour human rights?

Pandy baiting the trap here and ready to pounce. My hooks are well tentered. Will Pete reply? Will Pandy get bored and away and gnaw on some bamboo? Fuxake, Easter Enders Live never had such drama!

Just an observation.

Everyone has a "look after number one" approach to life. To say otherwise is to be willfully ignorant. What keeps us from randomly looting and using acts of violence against each other is fear and morality. The people who lack them are the psycho and sociopaths in our society. Have you ever wanted to go on strike for better pay? If you have, then your certainly acting in your own interest at the expense of your pupils. We're all for a fairer society, but I don't believe in the Robin Hood approach, as that disincentives all members of society in the long run.

You claim to want a fairer society but then go on to criticise and stigmatise poor folk. I guess that comes down to a very different definition of the word fair.

It's not about the definition, it's how one believes in going about it. It's unlikely there would ever be a consensus over it. I don't see where he was stigmatizing "the poor" (and that would depend on your definition). Even if he was, attacking them would be the wrong way to go. I blame politicians who try to bribe people in the here and now in order to get elected, and create a situation where they become dependent on handouts. Allowing a situation where they become unfairly stigmatized.

Popcorn at the ready?

Well Pete has made something of a reply. I suspect, though, that he has both missed the point and is edging closer to the abyss. Here's his response.

28 terrorists have used it to avoid deportation, and countless more criminals have done likewise. It's a charter for abuse and easy money for lawyers like Mrs Blair. It was her that got her grinning other half to blindly sign up to it.

If Pandy is too busy trying to remember when he last had sex I may feel obliged to jump in and offer hauners.

Archived