Weird games

Busta Nut

There's one were you are a human but have to try and get a date from a pigeon. You see you actually attend pigeon high school so it all makes perfect sense.

You'll not be surprised to know it's from Japan.

Edit - hatoful boyfriend it's called described as a pigeon dating sim.

eternal darkness - sanitys requiem was a cracking game that was weird.

blood loss made your character hallucinate and it would screw up what your screen was doing - make it look like the game reset, turn the volume down on the game (looking like it was your tv), random character explosians, control flipping to opposites.

wish they remade it

This was a bit mad, and was part of that brief, bizarre Saturday morning kid's show trend to have people phone in and attempt to control games with their voice.

Control a paedophile android on his journey to steal his 12-year-old lover away from her family by bringing a life-saving vaccine to the American president before the bomb in his head explodes, all the while avoiding shitting sausage dogs, leather-clad homosexual stereotypes, and shagging the occasional whore. Oh, and his battery power discharges whenever he moves, so he needs to electrocute himself regularly to recharge, and repair damage to his body so that he's "fully-functional" and able to have sex with his girlfriend after he "rescues" her. Did I miss anything?

French game from UBISoft, based on a French comic book. Did I mention that it's French?

That looks boring as all hell. What on Earth are the controls like? :huh:

From memory you only used the two shoulder buttons, the down button and the 'circle'. Each button corresponded to one of the four shapes the character had to negotiate as he skipped along, you just pressed the corresponding shape as he approached it.

It was boring as hell.

I reckon the weird Japanese sex game genre can be summed up by the infamous Rapelay, which just reads like a sex crime training simulator. Don't know if YouTube has videos, but a read of the Wiki page should be enough.

:(

That's fucking awful. The folk that created that game should be jailed.

You know what the Japanese are like with these things. Different strokes 'n' all that.

"Different strokes"... :shutup

Aye, sorry for mentioning Rapelay; I thought it was pretty well known. Something Awful used to do reviews of Japanese Hentai games, if you're of a similar masochistic mindset to me, and enjoy reading about stuff that you'll wish you didn't know existed. There's some really appalling stuff in there; for example, a game called "Water Closet" that actually turns out to be worse than the title implies. I'll say no more!

In other news, here's a trailer for an (apparently quite good) adventure game in which you play a bloke who's been turned into a cockroach:

I watch a video o you tube of the game "Catherine" cos a work forum mentioned it. It is weird,

What other weird games ye got oot there?

Catherine is strange - it's half irritatingly addictive puzzle game, half extremely bad romcom. The actual gameplay of the puzzles is solid enough but the other stuff that goes along with it just feels like something that really doesn't translate very well.

I do enjoy the boss level where a face appears on her arse and chases you up the blocks, however

catherine-2.jpg

Now, I've played some odd stuff on the PS3 over the years so I'll have a look.

flOw is a game where you are an undefined piece of marine life that goes around eating other things and trying not to be eaten. You move by moving the SIXAXIS on the controller which can be really annoying, if you're trying to not be eaten.

Flower is by the same company and has the same control method as you move a flower petal around areas, coming into contact with other flowers and making them bloom. A bit more structured than flOw, there at least is an end point in this that's recognisable and the music/feel is generally more engrossing to me.

Noby Noby Boy is presented without comment.

Proteus was described as a Walking Simulator and may make you wonder if the BBC Micro ever really went away. There's a decent argument in various places on the internet regarding whether or not this has a point and qualifies as a game, to me you get more of a feel for any possible story through trying to get the trophies for it than actually playing it but whichever way you look at it, it's a bit flimsy.

Doki-Doki Universe, imagine one of those text based adventure games aimed at children, with artwork by children and completely unsuitable for children since it freezes every five minutes.

Linger in Shadows is really an interactive art display. On acid.

Thomas Was Alone is a pretty standard platformer, with an annoying over-earnest English man making out the shapes moving about are people. Bit creepy.

Trash Panic is a Japanese version of Tetris... with rubbish. Carries on the proud Japanese tradition of being absurdly difficult.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars isn't weird, it's cool as f**k. Cars playing football. The kind of thing you can spend umpteen nights pished playing with your mates.

I suppose it's telling that all of these are downloadable only titles rather than full games like Catherine. Guess I'm not as weird as I thought.

Archived