Give Soldiers Footballers Wages?

J_Stewart

The link was brilliant. Still a topic that can make for a good discussion.

If it did happen then hopefully soldiers from the condor fancy bankrolling Arbroath to a few Scottish Cups and Premiership titles. ;)

You don't need Arbroath to win Scottish Cups and Premiership titles, Celtic and Dundee United do that for you.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those who moan about social media and morons and yet continue to use Facebook, Twitter etc.

Definitely man. It's the websites that are the problem rather than the idiots who actually post the stuff. I've heard that morons sometimes send stuff via email too, so I've stopped using that. And I taped up my postbox after I read about idiots sending daft letters to other idiots.

This new TV deal will only increase the differential between the ordinary person and Footballer. You can guarantee the increased TV revenue will be spent increasing footballers wages; rather than decreasing ticket prices. And, of course, SKY and BT subscribers will be hit with higher bills to pay for the new deal.

Soldiers on the other-hand, are, to a man - utter c***s with no redeeming features.

Out of interest, would you do the job? I know I wouldn't.

What a solidly flawed argument. I wouldn't want to be a binman but no-one calls them heroes, and no-one clamours for them to earn the millionaire lifestyle enjoyed by a select few who practiced religiously their talent as opposed to joining a sociopathic killing force.

It aould not make sense in the slightest, doing so would almost cripple our military resources. the reason their is so much money going to individuals in sports is quite simply the money being pumped into it all and therefor advertising that goes with it, also footballers wages reflect their ability , ie better players get higher money whereas the military does not do this and has rank and structure in place for a reason . Could you imagine a private making more than a corporal or sergeant, you would have an issue their with respect of the structure and the military operates on discipline and order.

In my eyes the army is actually a well paid career considering you get arond 12-16k starting salary . If you are a young 18-25 recruit with no real commitments like most recruits to the armed forces are then that is huge money and one you will struggle to find when you are at that inexperienced level of your career on "civvy street". Also the military provides you many benefits such as subsidised housing , free healthcare , gp's and dentist on your barracks etc , your meals if you need it , also think they can get percentages off brands of cars , top brand stores etc also if you stick in and make a proper career out of it you are guaranteed a huge big f**k off pension. Now don't get me wrong I am a supporter of the armed forces and understand that at times they are put in shite situation but I am also aware that our military is one of which you sign up on your own accord so the recruits must be fully aware of the situation they are entering. Also think that all these uber "our troops" type of people just soley focus on the army due to the soldiers the media regularly shows them when infact the navy and raf do just as important a job and are thrown into just as equally shite and dangerous situations and also away from home for months at a time and would also be expected have a pay rise aswell. Never mind the fact that most of the time when on leave and they are in a club and mention their occupation they usually get the first choice of any fanny they want haha

I don't think anyone can argue that top level footballers are paid far too much, but then again, if people didn't pay hugely inflated prices to watch these teams, not to mention taking out expensive Sky subscriptions to watch them, then the money simply wouldn't be there.

My opinion on it is that if these top players generate enough interest for people to fork out >£60 on an EPL match ticket and / or a rather expensive Sky Sports package then fair play to them if they rake in the proceeds, regardless of the amount. The whingers in question should take it out on the supporters / armchair fans funding them more than the players. Of course, they could always vote for a massive increase in tax so we can pay 'our boys' similar wages.

You often see a line about how the author couldn’t do the job of a soldier when discussing a topic like this, but why? You would get the same training) and I utterly disagree that they deserve ‘a great deal of praise and admiration’. In fact they deserve zero praise and zero admiration.

It wouldn't surprise me if most troops 'fell into the forces' because they weren't skilled at anything else. Granted that there are several people who decide early on that's what they want to do but from experience I think they're in the minority.

Top players on the other hand rarely finish school and then think "erm, what will I do now? Might as well find some football coaching as I like the odd game of 5's". Usually these guys have been spotted very early on, trained from youth level are are incredibly focussed and skilled in a particular trade.

Funny how you never hear anything negative about Andy Murray raking in millions and buying up Perthshire mansions though. All he does is hit a ball and forward after all. Largely jealousy that some footballers who struggle to string a coherent sentence together have already sorted themselves out for life ahead of the whingers imo.

What a solidly flawed argument. I wouldn't want to be a binman but no-one calls them heroes, and no-one clamours for them to earn the millionaire lifestyle enjoyed by a select few who practiced religiously their talent as opposed to joining a sociopathic killing force.

That was one guy and it was an accident.

:ph34r:

Out of interest, would you do the job? I know I wouldn't.

No. Because I don't want to.

It's not actually a job that is necessary anyway. And I'm not saying all soldiers are c***s and are thick as f**k. But they deserve absolutely zero special treatment or extra respect.

It's not actually a job that is necessary anyway. And I'm not saying all soldiers are c***s and are thick as f**k. But they deserve absolutely zero special treatment or extra respect.

Stick that on some U.S. forum and send me the link so I can sit back and watch the seethe. Even suggesting that they shouldn't get in-store discounts might be enough to induce a meltdown actually.

Stick that on some U.S. forum and send me the link so I can sit back and watch the seethe. Even suggesting that they shouldn't get in-store discounts might be enough to induce a meltdown actually.

Ha! I don't frequent any so wouldn't know where to start. Besides, they'd probably hunt me down and I wouldn't want to have to kill again.

I was asking a question, not posing an argument.

No. Because I don't want to.

I'd disagree that we dont need soldiers. I don't think that they've been deployed very well in recent years. I am very much against our campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, but to say that we don't need soldiers is pretty nuts imo. Joining the army ultimately means that you're prepared to give your life for your country, which is quite admirable in my book. This is deserving of respect as far as I'm concerned as it's not something I would be wliling to do.

I'm not saying all soldiers are heroes or anything sycophantic like that, but I think it's slightly different from other more run of the mill jobs, like a binman or working in an office, who are a fair bit less likely to lose their lives through their jobs.

I was asking a question, not posing an argument.

I'd disagree that we dont need soldiers. I don't think that they've been deployed very well in recent years. I am very much against our campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, but to say that we don't need soldiers is pretty nuts imo. Joining the army ultimately means that you're prepared to give your life for your country, which is quite admirable in my book. This is deserving of respect as far as I'm concerned as it's not something I would be wliling to do.

I'm not saying all soldiers are heroes or anything sycophantic like that, but I think it's slightly different from other more run of the mill jobs, like a binman or working in an office, who are a fair bit less likely to lose their lives through their jobs.

Are they really giving their lives for their country? I don't see it that way. And so fucking what if they are. It's a rather silly thing to do. What are they giving their lives for exactly? No one is threatening our 'way of life'. Are they then giving their lives so bankers can award themselves huge bonuses, that austerity can squeeze the poor even more, that MPs can vote themselves another pay rise? Just saying they are giving their lives 'for their country' is pretty meaningless to me. Perhaps they would say they are doing it for their loved ones, but again, they are in no real danger, and certainly not from someone who has been deemed as an enemy over in Afghanistan or Iraq or wherever. This isn't WW2 when our way of life genuinely was under threat and people's lives truly were in danger.

Are they really giving their lives for their country? I don't see it that way. And so fucking what if they are. It's a rather silly thing to do. What are they giving their lives for exactly? No one is threatening our 'way of life'. Are they then giving their lives so bankers can award themselves huge bonuses, that austerity can squeeze the poor even more, that MPs can vote themselves another pay rise? Just saying they are giving their lives 'for their country' is pretty meaningless to me. Perhaps they would say they are doing it for their loved ones, but again, they are in no real danger, and certainly not from someone who has been deemed as an enemy over in Afghanistan or Iraq or wherever. This isn't WW2 when our way of life genuinely was under threat and people's lives truly were in danger.

Do you not see groups like Isis as a potential threat in the long term to us particularly if we let then grow and perform their actions without any resistance ?

Do you not see groups like Isis as a potential threat in the long term to us particularly if we let then grow and perform their actions without any resistance ?

Trolling or ludicrously naive.

Trolling or ludicrously naive.

This is what I love about Internet discussions; reasoned debate goes out the window and everyone just rushes to insult anyone who has a differing opinion to their own, rather than actually address any points and discuss them.

This is what I love about Internet discussions; reasoned debate goes out the window and everyone just rushes to insult anyone who has a differing opinion to their own, rather than actually address any points and discuss them.

Tom McB is a walloper.

Unfortunately, impressionable 16+ year olds can be convinced to join the army - when you chuck in perks like travel the world, learning skills and earning a wage. What else would you be doing if you had no education qualifications and job opportunities are limited? Plus, if this prevents a draft then I need to give them some respect.

Archived