Queens v alloa

When did Benedictus turn into a lumbering cart-horse? Hes always looked really good against us but was so far off the pace today it was bordering on embarrassing. Lucky to last as long as he did without picking up his first booking and then sent off for a stupid, desperately late, challenge late on. Quite what Smith was complaining about I dont know. He'd been on at the linesman all game, I wouldnt blame him if he'd just had enough :lol:

As far as I'm aware that was the first time Marr and Benedictus have played together. I thought Marr was off the pace as well today can't really have a go though as that's his first start in months. Benedictus is usually better than that.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once Reilly went off we lost all shape up front. It's only when someone isn't there you realise what he does. He never gives defenders a moments peace, pulls them out of position, always ready to nick a ball if defender takes too long. Once he left Alloa defenders had easier time of it.

Totally agree here.

Reilly still has flaws in his game, but he's really important to us. The value of his harrying game, is only truly evident when it's missing.

It enables us to dominate teams at times by moving us up the park and hemming them in.

Reilly is a brilliant forward at this level.

For the first 30mins i thought that was the poorest Alloa team i,ve seen at Palmy in a long time then they started to get into the game and could have taken the lead in the second half, That said i still think the better team won. I too am a Mcshane convert but his set peices are becoming frustrating. Zander certainly put himself back in the driving seat today with his performance and really should have got MOM. All in all i,ll take a scruffy hard fought win any day.

Alloa were missing three key men and had two players making their first starts, probably not too surprising they took a while to get going. The charge from another poster about negatively is pretty harsh too given Alloa went with Buchanan, Layne, Cawley and Roberts in that team. If it looked overly defensive you have to assume it didn't work out the way it was supposed to because that wasn't in any way a defensive line up.

With about 20 minutes to go we were looking at a decent point or maybe even three and Cowdenbeath were a goal down. In the end we got none and they got three. We must win next week, it's as simple as that.

Feel sorry for Smith today he went for it in the dying minutes by taking Marr off and throwing big Greg on up front and playing with three strikers only for Kyle to get his second booking and sent off(ref got it right).

tbh I thought it was harsh to give Benedictus a second yellow when he was so comprehensively done by Carmichael. It was a foul all day long but I didn't think it was malicious for a second and, given that he was going to get sent off, I thought the booking was OTT. Wouldn't have bothered me if he had stayed on the park.

Alloa were missing three key men and had two players making their first starts, probably not too surprising they took a while to get going. The charge from another poster about negatively is pretty harsh too given Alloa went with Buchanan, Layne, Cawley and Roberts in that team. If it looked overly defensive you have to assume it didn't work out the way it was supposed to because that wasn't in any way a defensive line up.

With about 20 minutes to go we were looking at a decent point or maybe even three and Cowdenbeath were a goal down. In the end we got none and they got three. We must win next week, it's as simple as that.

Can't disagree with any of that. For a good second half spell Alloa were much more likely to score than us.

tbh I thought it was harsh to give Benedictus a second yellow when he was so comprehensively done by Carmichael. It was a foul all day long but I didn't think it was malicious for a second and, given that he was going to get sent off, I thought the booking was OTT. Wouldn't have bothered me if he had stayed on the park.

Pretty much agree.

The ref shouldn't let the fact that he's already on a booking influence this decision, but as a booking in its own right, the second one was harsh. He was simply beaten by some skill when trying to win the ball.

No malice or cynicism was intended and no damage was done at all. In such circumstances, a booking is unfair. Any such injustice of course seems compounded when it's a second one.

I agree on Clark - a match winning performance today.Messiah Mitchell is a good turn of phrase, but there's no doubt that his delivery was consistently very good, certainly in comparison to anything we've had since. That doesn't of course mean that he necessarily should play just now, but there's no doubt that we're getting a poor return in this area just now.

He has a cracking delivery, I wouldn't even begin to argue that. Arguably the best set pieces we've had from a player in years. I just think he has a poor delivery on more occasions than some folk think. Just before he was crocked his corners were pretty shocking. It's a petty pop from me I suppose, but sometimes the blue tinted specs from some of our fans can niggle away at me :P

It was the same with Harris. Folk made out as if he was the greatest left back the division had ever seen, but failed to acknowledge the 5 wayward route one's he'd produce in most games!

That's a fair point mate. Ben Gordon got away with it against Livi the other week when he was a bit reckless. Hopefully everything will fall into place soon and our luck will change.

Fair play to Queens though. You's are playing well this season I thought losing Kerr would've made you's weaker but you's are a solid outfit. Reilly going off helped us today as he's a menace.

It wasnt so much the negativity that stood out as the blatant time wasting right from kick off.

Pretty frustrating game today where once again it was like 2 different alloa teams on display. First half we started off pretty poor second to every ball, slow off the mark, and loving balls to noone. When Reilly went off it seemed to startle queens and the game was a bit more even for 5-10 minutes until queens got back into there game. At half time there only looked to be one winner in the game and that was queens.

Second half started off similar to the first but shortly after alloa came onto a game. They controlled everything for around half an hour. Shortly after queens got a free header that they took advantage of and took the lead, from then on queens had the momentum but alloa still gave their all.

Overall queens had a much better first half with alloa probably edging the second but not able to finish. A draw would have been a fair result but if you don't take your chances you don't get points and queens took a chance that we gave them.

Few points from other posters, genuine question when has Buchanan ever dived have I naively missed this or is the queens poster talking out his arse?

Alloa definitely didn't time waste today and I didn't notice any timewasting by queens either.

Benedictus first yellow was harsh I thought but the second was definitely right, although it seems some of you think different?

Do queens upload highlights regularly I'd like to see both benedictus challenges.

We dominated the first half but the usual problem of failing to take our chances when on top could have been our downfall. Also the Alloa keeper pulled of two or three great saves during that spell to keep his side in the game.

The second half was more even and it was Zander's turn to pull off a couple of excellent stops to deny Alloa the opener. Once we freshened things up with a couple of substitutions we got back on top and the rest, as they say, is history. We're not going to dominate every game for 90 minutes and sometimes have to settle for scraping through, but if we score one goal more than the opposition in each game then that should be good enough, although maybe not good for the old ticker. The best team in the division at present, Hearts, only managed a one goal win over Livi so we shouldn't be too critical of our performance.

Russell is a good player but can't stay on his feet for some reason. Fell over in the recent game against Cowden and conned another ref.

I'd be surprised if there was a team in the country, that has had less penalties than queens in the past few years.

Archived