Stirling Albion vs Ayr United

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had high hopes for todays game but after 20 mins it was game over for us despite getting one back in the second half, so its goodbye to League 1 hello League 2 next season. Time to rebuild for next season and hope that Stuart and Martyn get the time to rebuild the team for the challenge of the League 2 next year.

Decent game, Stirling played decent football on the deck and were unlucky not to score at least 3 brilliant chances,

I think Ayr had more shots on goal today than I have seen all season though, Forrest ran the game and we weren't the same team going forward once he moved to midfield. Him, Crawford and Robertsons energy gave us a much quicker look than we have had all season.

We pretty much dominated the first half and Stirling put us under pressure until Beattie scored from a horribly defended corner midway through the second.

Robertson was pretty good, not sure what happened when he got injured, It looked to me like he went down off the ball with a Stirling player but no one was claiming for anything.

Preston was ok, did plenty of running and looked to be more of an option than Donnelly, who must be kicking himself with all the chances Ayr created today

Just thankful to have ended that awful run.

Let's not fool ourselves - we are not remotely out of trouble yet. Stirling were all defensively over the place but still should have equalized before Beatie took his gifted headed at the back post against the run of play at the time. Plenty of work to be done but hopefully now the pressure will be lifted a bit and allow the talent that I think is in parts of the squad to flourish - we shouldn't underestimate the power of a bit of confidence or the shackles of the type of run we have just emerged from.

Ayr stood off Stirling in midfield far too often, and whenever they did so Stirling looked capable of scoring. Conversely, when you press the ball in our Division more often than not mistakes emerge. Fitness still needs working on - some of the new arrivals are clearly lacking match fitness so hopefully the new fitness regime and game time will produce some attractive football for the rest of the season.

Concerned especially about the Crawford injury - looked like ligament or hamstring from the rolling about and the way he limped off needing support. Big thumbs up to McCall for getting a new signing out of Crawford since he arrived. Robertson hopefully should be okay - saw too little of him to judge what he might offer. Well done Ayr anyway for showing a bit of fight - onwards and upwards hopefully.

Ayr started off well with some slick passing but after going 2-0 up allowed Stirling to charge through the midfield without challenge. Marking also needs to be improved. However things are definitely looking up and it was good to see the players' reactions at the end of the game, showing how much the win meant to them.

Pleased to read that Robbie's injury isn't as serious as it seemed. Glad to see Muir getting some game time again. Would also like to see more of McCracken - he had a really good game in the Alloa cup replay but hasn't had much of an opportunity since then.

The Scotch pie was the worst I've tasted this season. Hopefully we won't be subjected to them next season!

Matches are becoming more enjoyable to watch. Well done, Ayr!

Archived