League Structure Next Season

Teams should be encouraged to show ambition off the park as well as on it. Both Duns (with a brand new ground) and Burntisland (with covered enclosure and further expansion of the pavilion) have managed to improve their facilities since joining the EoS. Eyemouth are also working hard to improve their ground.

I've read umpteen times that there are amateur clubs good enough (which I have no doubt about) AND better run than a lot of Junior/EoS clubs. What constitutes 'better run'? If they are better run then they should have a committee that are capable of fundraising and accessing grants that allow them to erect a fence and barrier around the pitch.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelso, Eyemouth, Duns, Coldstream and Peebles didn't used to have a rail, I'm not sure if they all do now. I think a fence or wall round the pitch might be

I think Eyemouth, Kelso, Peebles and Tynecastle are the only EOS League clubs without handrails now... the latter 3 plus Ormiston are the only unenclosed, IIRC.

I expect that the major stumbling block for these very good and well run amateur clubs obtaining entry to the E of S is the fact that they do not have a place to play that is their own and therefore would be unable to enclose it, erect a hand rail or put up floodlights. Many of them will have to share changing facilities with other teams playing on nearby pitches and I think that was one of the reasons Selkirk FC were not allowed to enter a team in the E of S.

Yes. Selkirk planned on using a pitch on the outside of their main pitch for their EoS application. It involved a walk from the dressing room, around the perimeter of the main pitch I think.

Like it or not, the EoS will be regarded as Step 6 (6 & 7 if they keep 2 divisions) in the pyramid and there seems little point in bringing in new teams that can't even meet the basic EoS criteria. Why join the league in the first place if just staying there is the limit of your ambition? Regardless of how well a team does on the pitch, they'll not be in a position to achieve promotion to the Lowland League if they don't have an entry level licence. It surely makes sense in having new teams meeting the EoS criteria as a sort of 'halfway house' towards licensing?

Alot of people see it as glorified amateurs, don't get me wrong I prefer it to amateurs having playing lowland amateur and EoS in one season. The plus sides are folk staying behind after games for a beer food etc. And sometimes the lure of a signing on fee training gear...

As for the leagues, surely an expansion of a couple teams could and would help.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of responses here baffle me, it is definately a case of snobbery!

With all due respect, what is the difference between meadowbank 3G where leith play and saughton 3G where tollcross play? The difference between fernieside where tynecastle play and Bingham were lochend have played, both ferniesdide and Bingham are almost identical with both having the same council template changing rooms and open public parks.

Having played at eos 'grounds', the likes of ormiston and Easthouses, there changing facilities are tiny and pretty rundown, although I understand both are now making improvements and weell done to both teams for this.

I couldn't agree more with a the statement above with regards to lowland league killing east of scotland. For the east of scotland to move forward it definately needs a few new introductions and 1 league would be far more interesting IMO. I see people saying that would this amateur team compete in eos etc. but ask yourself would any of the 1st division eos teams compete in the LEAFA premier 1? I genuinely reckon they would all struggle! Teams like ormiston, there team is pencaitland from the LEAFA league last year, same players and management just playing under the ormiston name/badge, a team that never really done anything outside there league which was basically LEAFA 3rd division.

I'd rather have two leagues, but this playing each other 4 times in the 1st is pissing some people off. EOS is as good as dead since the introduction of the LL. The premier is now just decent and the 1st dire imo. Fucking shame !!!. With one league next season however, there'll be clubs getting pumelled constantly.

I couldn't agree more with a the statement above with regards to lowland league killing east of scotland. For the east of scotland to move forward it definately needs a few new introductions and 1 league would be far more interesting IMO.

Give it a couple of seasons and it could be a much stronger league. If the pyramid isn't changed in the near future, and once the LL is up to its full quota this summer, the EoS will be the entry point for any ambitious juniors, amateurs and new clubs. The issue might become lack of promotion opportunities to the LL.

With all due respect, what is the difference between meadowbank 3G where leith play and saughton 3G where tollcross play? The difference between fernieside where tynecastle play and Bingham were lochend have played, both ferniesdide and Bingham are almost identical with both having the same council template changing rooms and open public parks.

Having played at eos 'grounds', the likes of ormiston and Easthouses, there changing facilities are tiny and pretty rundown, although I understand both are now making improvements and weell done to both teams for this.

I couldn't agree more with a the statement above with regards to lowland league killing east of scotland. For the east of scotland to move forward it definately needs a few new introductions and 1 league would be far more interesting IMO. I see people saying that would this amateur team compete in eos etc. but ask yourself would any of the 1st division eos teams compete in the LEAFA premier 1? I genuinely reckon they would all struggle! Teams like ormiston, there team is pencaitland from the LEAFA league last year, same players and management just playing under the ormiston name/badge, a team that never really done anything outside there league which was basically LEAFA 3rd division.

You clearly did your research didnt you!?!? Same players and management? A handful of players from the Pencaitland team and a manager! Thats it.

'That never really done anything outside there league which was basically LEAFA 3rd division'

League and Cup Winners in the Mickey Mouse 3rd Division

Beaten Semi Finalists in both the major cup competitions in LEAFA: Centenary & Logan Cup, firstly after ET v Heriot Vale(premier league winners that year) 3-2 and then in the other one we battered Musselburgh(league leaders this year) for 120 minutes then got beat on penalties.

Beaten Finalists in another cup with Shotts who also won the National South Cup and either the Centenary or the Logan.

The Ormiston starting line up on Saturday was as follows:

1. Ross Combe (Dalkeith Juniors)

2. Jordan Mack (Edinburgh United)

3. Keiran Watson (Dunbar United)

4. John Morgan (Dunbar United)

5. Ross Ferguson (Tranent Juniors)

6. Johnny Edmund (Musselburgh Athletic U-20s)

7. Dan Watson (Tranent Juniors)

8. George Cunningham (Preston Athletic)

9. Dean Woods (Pencaitland)

10. Declan Quinn (Pencaitland)

11. Lee John Cockerill ( Pencaitland)

12. Craig Wojtowycz (Haddington Athletic)

14. Steven Finlayson (Tranent Juniors)

15. Redmond Barker (Musselburgh Athletic)

16. Brian McEwan (Ormiston)

17. Liam Skinner (Pencaitland)

Trust next time you post you may wish to check facts, 3 players in the starting line up doesn't constitute a team!!!!

'That never really done anything outside there league which was basically LEAFA 3rd division'

League and Cup Winners in the Mickey Mouse 3rd Division

Beaten Semi Finalists in both the major cup competitions in LEAFA: Centenary & Logan Cup, firstly after ET v Heriot Vale(premier league winners that year) 3-2 and then in the other one we battered Musselburgh(league leaders this year) for 120 minutes then got beat on penalties.

Beaten Finalists in another cup with Shotts who also won the National South Cup and either the Centenary or the Logan.

The Ormiston starting line up on Saturday was as follows:

1. Ross Combe (Dalkeith Juniors)

2. Jordan Mack (Edinburgh United)

3. Keiran Watson (Dunbar United)

4. John Morgan (Dunbar United)

5. Ross Ferguson (Tranent Juniors)

6. Johnny Edmund (Musselburgh Athletic U-20s)

7. Dan Watson (Tranent Juniors)

8. George Cunningham (Preston Athletic)

9. Dean Woods (Pencaitland)

10. Declan Quinn (Pencaitland)

11. Lee John Cockerill ( Pencaitland)

12. Craig Wojtowycz (Haddington Athletic)

14. Steven Finlayson (Tranent Juniors)

15. Redmond Barker (Musselburgh Athletic)

16. Brian McEwan (Ormiston)

17. Liam Skinner (Pencaitland)

Trust next time you post you may wish to check facts, 3 players in the starting line up doesn't constitute a team!!!!

em kindergarden error there as the teams web says different.
could be a typo or a simple slip of the pen

em kindergarden error there as the teams web says different.
could be a typo or a simple slip of the pen

For the avoidance of doubt 'puma king' starting line up means those numbered 1-11, not sure what you think it means?

The two subs available to us on Saturday were Wojtowycz and Finlayson?

Barker was suspended, McEwan was working, Skinner and David Ross (Tranent Juniors, omitted from my list above) were injured.

The point of the post was to highlight the fact that the team doesn't just comprise of ex Pencaitland players.

Not really sure what your post was alluding to??

For the avoidance of doubt 'puma king' starting line up means those numbered 1-11, not sure what you think it means?

The two subs available to us on Saturday were Wojtowycz and Finlayson?

Barker was suspended, McEwan was working, Skinner and David Ross (Tranent Juniors, omitted from my list above) were injured.

The point of the post was to highlight the fact that the team doesn't just comprise of ex Pencaitland players.

Not really sure what your post was alluding to??

who mentioned your starting team ?

Archived