League Structure Next Season

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather have two leagues, but this playing each other 4 times in the 1st is pissing some people off. EOS is as good as dead since the introduction of the LL. The premier is now just decent and the 1st dire imo. Fucking shame !!!. With one league next season however, there'll be clubs getting pumelled constantly.

Ultimately, both options have pros-n-cons.

Two small leagues mean a more manageable number of fixtures, more to 'play for' (2 titles to win plus relegation to avoid / promotion to win) and new clubs can be added without having to change the structure... However playing people 3 / 4 times is more repetitive, plus some clubs have to be in the lower level and everyone aspires to be as high-up as possible.

One big league means a greater variety of opponents, and everyone can say they are in the top deck... However it means more matches (17 is a 34 date campaign whereas the current divisions are 27/28 dates), nothing to 'play for' apart from the 1 title, and to add in new clubs means going back to 2 divisions which requires some clubs demoting themselves. You'll not prove or disprove the 'quality mismatch' argument until/if it happens IMO.

What are Ormiston's reasons for wanting 1 league, is it just that they don't like playing the other teams 3 or 4 times? In the top 4 tiers of our Scottish League pyramid system the teams play each other 4 times so why not the EOS? I see that in the top EOS league 4 teams are challenging for the title and the rest are battling to avoid the drop. In the bottom division half the teams are challenging for the title and the other half don't want to be bottom. So all 17 teams at this point have something to play for and you definitely won't have that in a 17 team league. Take competition out of football and what do you have? Nothing IMO.

The EOS don't do themselves any favours on promoting their league. The website is better than the shambles it was previously but is still apparently under construction after about 6 months. Their Facebook page's last post was on August 19th 2014 and the Twitter page's last post was 4th October 2014! At least get that sorted out first if you want the world to know about your league for god's sake, it's very amateurish and does absolutely nothing to promote EOS football.

the criteria for the EOS league should be:

one football pitch

two changing rooms

officials room

toilets

showers.

two goal posts

Ok so this is a bit tongue in cheek, but you get my drift.

I honestly beleive they are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to appear to be far superior than they are. Its snobbish.

I am not one of these people who think that the amateurs would go in there and win it etc, but i do think the EOS is at a cross roads. They need to recruit teams. Simple as that.

I have spoken to a few people at some very well run Amateur sides who have asked about applying, or for further information and its not always the open and transparant converstoin it should be. The EOS should be doing more to work with these teams. Engage with them, give them advice and support to try and help them. But again its like snobbish thing, "amateurs in our league" type of attitude. Crazy.

Someone tell me what use it is having rules and entry criteria for car parking, finances, boundary fences etc when the very existance of the East of Scotland Association is, in my humble opinion, not far awar from ceasing to exist. Next it will be criteria to have heated seats in the dug outs.

I will give them 5 years going down this road before they are in the position of struggling to put together a single league of 10 teams.

Cutting your nose off to spite your face comes to mind.

Also good point about the website and twitter etc. Its actually worse having them but never using them, than not having them at all, half arsed.

Cue people going on about "standards" and "Committee set ups" etc etc.

one football pitch

two changing rooms

officials room

toilets

showers.

two goal posts

I honestly beleive they are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to appear to be far superior than they are. Its snobbish.

I am not one of these people who think that the amateurs would go in there and win it etc, but i do think the EOS is at a cross roads. They need to recruit teams. Simple as that.

I have spoken to a few people at some very well run Amateur sides who have asked about applying, or for further information and its not always the open and transparant converstoin it should be. The EOS should be doing more to work with these teams. Engage with them, give them advice and support to try and help them. But again its like snobbish thing, "amateurs in our league" type of attitude. Crazy.

Someone tell me what use it is having rules and entry criteria for car parking, finances, boundary fences etc when the very existance of the East of Scotland Association is, in my humble opinion, not far awar from ceasing to exist. Next it will be criteria to have heated seats in the dug outs.

I will give them 5 years going down this road before they are in the position of struggling to put together a single league of 10 teams.

Also good point about the website and twitter etc. Its actually worse having them but never using them, than not having them at all, half arsed.

good post, totally agree with everything you've said

Ultimately the one/two division debate is driven by the numbers anyway.

Fewer than 16 clubs and it has to be 1 division? More than 18 and it has to be 2 divisions surely (otherwise the league campaign would be as long as the Premiership!)? It's only the 16-17-18 territory where you've even got a debate.

New clubs would mean bigger divisions: e.g. Snowball mentioned 10-10, that would be more variety and 27 league games is sensible number. In terms of criteria I think the factors are how tough are the criteria and what grace periods can be granted.

It's a difficult time for EOSL adapting to a new place in a new order... far less disruptive for SOSL (who admitted 3 new clubs this season, tbf).

one football pitch

two changing rooms

officials room

toilets

showers.

two goal posts

100% agree with this! Am pretty sure there are many Border/Edinburgh/Lothian and even Fife must have teams that can take the step up for example. I know Greenlaw have some great facilities for example! What teams in Edinburgh have the necessary 'requirements'??

The EOS need to have a look at themselves and think would one league work? Some will fancy it but IMO it wouldn't work. One of the posters mentioned the playing four times a season is frustrating and i agree with on that.

Just let some good organised Amateur teams be given their chance and make the EOS good again!

I can't see that it's a 'snobbishness' that's preventing Amateur teams being entertained. Where were Duns and Burntisland playing immediately prior to joining the EoS League? Both of these sides have joined within the last few years.

If the criteria is no better than the criteria required to enter the amateur leagues, then what is the incentive for Ams teams to join? Usually you want to make the step up in order to play at better grounds against better sides (disregarding Kelso and Ormiston who play on public parks just now.)

Ormiston have sent out an email, nailing their colours to the "one league" next season mast.

How do we all feel ?

Is current structure working or should there be one league next season ?

Ormiston have sent out an email, is that to all the other clubs or to the EOS League or what?

No one has yet said why it is that Ormiston want one league. Does anyone other than Ormiston know why they want this, is it in the content of the email?

Possible reasons are that they don't want to play the other teams 4 times or they never want to be relegated. It looks like they are having a good season and are having some really close competitive games so would be interesting to know their reasons.

Ormiston have sent out an email, is that to all the other clubs or to the EOS League or what?

No one has yet said why it is that Ormiston want one league. Does anyone other than Ormiston know why they want this, is it in the content of the email?

Possible reasons are that they don't want to play the other teams 4 times or they never want to be relegated. It looks like they are having a good season and are having some really close competitive games so would be interesting to know their reasons.

Maybe be just hearsay but wasn't it not mentioned on here a while back they had a desire to go to junior? Maybe it wasn't them a might be getting confused with someone else.

I can't see that it's a 'snobbishness' that's preventing Amateur teams being entertained. Where were Duns and Burntisland playing immediately prior to joining the EoS League? Both of these sides have joined within the last few years.

If the criteria is no better than the criteria required to enter the amateur leagues, then what is the incentive for Ams teams to join? Usually you want to make the step up in order to play at better grounds against better sides (disregarding Kelso and Ormiston who play on public parks just now.)he criteria has changed since those two joined from amateur leagues

I think the criteria has changed since those teams joined has it not? A rail round the pitch was not required then but is required now for new teams entering I believe. Clubs already in the E of S who don't have a rail are okay though. Kelso, Eyemouth, Duns, Coldstream and Peebles didn't used to have a rail, I'm not sure if they all do now. I think a fence or wall round the pitch might be required now too for new clubs. Most amateur outfits just won't be able to afford that kind of cost.

Archived