Pope Francis says it is OK to smack children if their ‘dignity is main

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There no one saying corporal punishment for kids..but a wee quick smack on the bum in a way that doesnt embarrass the child (as a last resort) is fine .

How many times a day do you see Mothers screaming in their childrens faces in a public place for something and completely traumatising them?..and probably the same people that proudly boast that they dont hit their kids.

There no one saying corporal punishment for kids..but a wee quick smack on the bum in a way that doesnt embarrass the child (as a last resort) is fine .

How many times a day do you see Mothers screaming in their childrens faces in a public place for something and completely traumatising them?..and probably the same people that proudly boast that they dont hit their kids.

"A smack on the bum" a "last resort" language designed to make it look like this kind of action is justified and harmless, it's not, you are basically assaulting your children.

You also say that screaming in your kids face would "traumatise them", but actually hitting them won't???

Do you have kids by the way?

^^^ needs a good kick in the balls

Yeah screaming at kids falls into the same category. Sometimes you need to raise your voice, but as a discipline tool it's pretty unhelpful.

Although I'm opposed to smacking children I think some folk go over the top in criticising it. There is a difference between a small smack in the way you are describing and actually beating kids (old school ala belts and stuff).

I'm all about the naughty step with my wee one. Super nanny all the way.

I can safely say that anyone who smacks their kids is a cretin. What kind of fecking message is that to give to a child?

"Okay. I'm bigger and older than you so I'm allowed to inflict pain in order to get what I want".

I was smacked as a child and I don't think it affected me too much, but at the same time, wtf?

"A smack on the bum" a "last resort" language designed to make it look like this kind of action is justified and harmless, it's not, you are basically assaulting your children.

You also say that screaming in your kids face would "traumatise them", but actually hitting them won't???

Do you have kids by the way?

What do you think would be more traumatic or embarrassing for a child that was misbehaving and refusing to listen....a gentle tap on the bum in a quiet manner in private, or screaming at it in front of everone?

What do you think would be more traumatic or embarrassing for a child that was misbehaving and refusing to listen....a gentle tap on the bum in a quiet manner in private, or screaming at it in front of everone?

Both are not acceptable, it doesn't matter how you dress it up, "gentle tap, smack, private" you should'n do it.

eta I assume you think screaming in a child's face and traumatising it would be okay if done in private?

So the kings rules for dealing with unruly children are...

1. You can hit your children as long as you do it in private.

2. You should never shout at your child, no matter what the circumstances.

Close,,,

1. As a last resort a gentle pat on the bum without embarrassing the child is ok in my book.

2. Correct, "screaming " in a child's face is probably more traumatic.

A skelp on the arse has it's place in discipling your kids if used very sparingly in dangerous situations, didn't do it myself but there are times when I find it acceptable, it's not acceptable to slap your kid up n down the supermarket because they're having a tantrum or want a toy(the reserve of those that shouldn't have kids).

How the f**k can you justify assaulting children? What the f**k is wrong with you people?

Children need to know when its time to wind their necks in and you need to hit them for them to understand IMHO as they don't understand verbal threats

Archived