Pope Francis says it is OK to smack children if their ‘dignity is main

No problem hitting your son, but hitting your daughter is a no-no.

Should never hit a girl.

For the sake of removing any doubt, this post is not serious in any way

How're you doing Mark? Haven't seen you in ages. Sad that one has to use smlies or spoilers to express irony these days - the cognoscenti used to just 'get it'.

Smacking weans is always bad.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic, but does anyone remember the Rangers fan who regaled us with tales of his mum making him go out and fight other children who were upsetting him.

Good times.

Well, not for him obviously.

Vatican defends comments about disciplining with justice after facing previous criticism from UN over attitude to corporal punishment

Pope Francis told parents it is OK to spank their children to discipline them as long as their dignity is maintained.

Francis made the remarks this week during his weekly general audience, which was devoted to the role of fathers in the family.

Francis outlined the traits of a good father: one who forgives but is able to correct with firmness while not discouraging the child.

One time, I heard a father in a meeting with married couples say I sometimes have to smack my children a bit, but never in the face so as to not humiliate them, Francis said.

How beautiful. he added. He knows the sense of dignity! He has to punish them but does it justly and moves on.

Full article here;

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/06/pope-francis-parents-ok-smack-children-dignity

I don't give a f**k what the Pope thinks, but I agree with him on this, a wee smack on the bum , sometimes it's probably less traumatic for a kid .

I don't give a f**k what the Pope thinks, but I agree with him on this, a wee smack on the bum , sometimes it's probably less traumatic for a kid .

Don't be stupid. There is no need to hit children.

Or anyone else for that matter.

A 78 year old, virgin, who heads an organisation guilty of horrific crimes against children, giving parenting advice. Great.

Pretty much sums it up. If you're looking to this guy to tell you whether or not it's OK to hit children then you're in serious trouble.

Amazing how many folk get het up about being unable to physically hurt their own children. It's a subject best not brought up among groups of acquaintances as invariably somebody will lose the place and terrify the f**k out of everyone else.

Best example I remember: the furious father of a one year old who insisted that the only way he could teach his daughter not to touch the TV screen was to smack her across the back of her legs - "How else am I supposed to show her that she's done something wrong?" :unsure:

Archived