Pope Francis says it is OK to smack children if their ‘dignity is main

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the sense of personality and behaviour, genes only offer potential. Nurture does way more than nature in determining behaviour.

Yeah - but potential can be very different. I'm not saying genetics is more important, or even equal to, environment.

I mind the look on my wee one's face when she caught her finger in a closing door. The terror, pain and shock that was in her face haunted me for weeks, and this was a complete "accident" after one of the cats nudged the door shut.

I simply cannot imagine what it must feel like for a child to have their own fucking parents inflict that kind of misery upon them.

FTFY

Given that the defence of hitting children has now been reduced to arguing that some people are born so genetically deficient that violence is the only thing they'll understand, I reckon that the wishy washy liberals can call this a win.

Well that's clearly not true.

Some tube claimed all kids were born perfect and parents were always to blame when things went wrong. This is blatantly bollocks.

Pointing this out doesn't put you on the side of the parents who smack their kids. I'm on the wishy washy liberal side (as any of my posts on the first couple of pages will testify).

Well that's clearly not true.

Some tube claimed all kids were born perfect and parents were always to blame when things went wrong. This is blatantly bollocks.

Pointing this out doesn't put you on the side of the parents who smack their kids. I'm on the wishy washy liberal side (as any of my posts on the first couple of pages will testify).

Don't be so literal. The comment that kids are born perfect, i.e. without behavioural problems in this context, was directly in response to the assertion that some kids are born uncontrollable. Kids are shaped by their environment and parents are responsible for that environment. Any other approach is a fucking cop-out.

For the record, I'm not blaming parents for giving their children inherited or random diseases. That would be absurd.

Don't be so literal. The comment that kids are born perfect, i.e. without behavioural problems in this context, was directly in response to the assertion that some kids are born uncontrollable. Kids are shaped by their environment and parents are responsible for that environment. Any other approach is a fucking cop-out.

For the record, I'm not blaming parents for giving their children inherited or random diseases. That would be absurd.

I'm not saying genetics is just about the diseases, it's got to be more than that.

Going back to the original point, rather than dancing around this, at what point does it then become acceptable to hit an uncontrollable child? If they're hitting your leg? After 18 minutes of misbehaving?

When you're only half-pissed and your coupon goes down to an 89th minute equaliser at Ibrox leaving you skint, beerless and fucking furious.

Eh....I'm told. :ph34r:

Archived