Pope Francis says it is OK to smack children if their ‘dignity is main

Vatican defends comments about disciplining with justice after facing previous criticism from UN over attitude to corporal punishment

Pope Francis told parents it is OK to spank their children to discipline them as long as their dignity is maintained.

Francis made the remarks this week during his weekly general audience, which was devoted to the role of fathers in the family.

Francis outlined the traits of a good father: one who forgives but is able to correct with firmness while not discouraging the child.

One time, I heard a father in a meeting with married couples say I sometimes have to smack my children a bit, but never in the face so as to not humiliate them, Francis said.

How beautiful. he added. He knows the sense of dignity! He has to punish them but does it justly and moves on.

Full article here;

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/06/pope-francis-parents-ok-smack-children-dignity

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, I personally could never bring myself to spank them no matter how unruly they were.

Have fun when they are older and bigger and running rings around you like all the other spoiled little b*****ds whose parents want to be the child's "friend" rather than a parent.

A quick skelp teaches them at an early age that misbehaviour comes with painful consequences. Better they learn that from you now than getting the f**k punched out of them when they go to school.

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, I personally could never bring myself to spank them no matter how unruly they were. I don't like the idea of corporal punishment but I'm not sure if it should be made illegal either - should parents still have the right to spank their kids?

Only up until the age of 40.

Have fun when they are older and bigger and running rings around you like all the other spoiled little b*****ds whose parents want to be the child's "friend" rather than a parent.

A quick skelp teaches them at an early age that misbehaviour comes with painful consequences. Better they learn that from you now than getting the f**k punched out of them when they go to school.

You scary individual.

I'm with Waffen on this one. I was hit as a child when bad. Wrong is wrong a skelp is teaching wrong.

I'm now 40 and my maw would probably give me clip round the ear now and again if she was still here.

Discipline! Serpect!

Wow.

Fucking wow.

What a sadistic old c**t you are.

Wow.

Fucking wow.

What a sadistic old c**t you are.

Yup, have to laugh (pity) parents that can't control their child unless it's through the medium of violence, or worse, those that think if you don't batter f**k out of your child they will grow up defective.

If you have to hit your children to control them or teach them respect, you've failed at being a parent.

Often people who are in favour of hitting kids tend to have been hit as kids themselves, they always say that it's done them no harm. I'd say the fact they think it's acceptable to hit kids is proof in itself that it has done them harm. It's effectively saying that violence is the answer to the problem. It then gets passed on to the next generation.

Creep.

I don't agree with hitting kids to discipline them, and I will never smack my two.

But there are a lot of parents out there who are unable to discipline their kids, and feel that smacking them isn't right. This is a problem as the kids then grow up with no sense of consequences.

Archived