Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If anyone fancies a laugh check out the SGAs response to the fact grouse moors now require to be licenced with plans for this to commence immediately.
https://news.scottishgamekeepers.co.uk/2020/11/chairman-comment-grouse-moor-licensing.html?m=1
Absolutely delicious stuff there

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Grouse are delicious and shooting is a healthy outdoor sport.  No wonder NatGov hates it.

One to many gins tonight Kink.

No one is talking about banning the "sport" although it's about as sporting as Messi taking penalty kicks into a new born baby. All that will be achieved is tightening up the practice, I don't think ensuring that a lot of people with guns obey the law is controversial particularly when other predators of grouse have been killed by humans. There is no reason there can't be a diverse Highlands with controlled grouse moors but the current situation is unsustainable in every sense of the word.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

One to many gins tonight Kink.

No one is talking about banning the "sport" although it's about as sporting as Messi taking penalty kicks into a new born baby. All that will be achieved is tightening up the practice, I don't think ensuring that a lot of people with guns obey the law is controversial particularly when other predators of grouse have been killed by humans. There is no reason there can't be a diverse Highlands with controlled grouse moors but the current situation is unsustainable in every sense of the word.

This old trope?  Really?

Scottish shooting estates are brilliant for so many reasons - not least of which is decent land management.

We both know that this measure is heehaw to do with protecting raptors.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This old trope?  Really?

Scottish shooting estates are brilliant for so many reasons - not least of which is decent land management.

I thought it was Friday, it is for me! 

I'm not sure flattening everything is "decent land management"

Enlighten me, so this is just to stop folk shooting?

Maintaining a monoculture of heather through burning and cutting drains into peat is not decent land management.

Please explain these “brilliant” reasons.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I thought it was Friday, it is for me! 

I'm not sure flattening everything is "decent land management"

Enlighten me, so this is just to stop folk shooting?

It is all about 'estates':  The estates from which the ScotNats get their biggest support vs the estates which the jealous Natter hoi polloi despise as a symbol of Tory privilege.

Handing out licensing is simply no more than Natter tokenism.  Again..

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

It is all about 'estates':  The estates from which the ScotNats get their biggest support vs the estates which the jealous Natter hoi polloi despise as a symbol of Tory privilege.

So this is to what shut the estates down? Tbh I'm not sure it is when these estates were first established the people in them felt duty bound to protect them in the main to protect the natural environment the modern estates are to drive maximum profit at the expense of the country and the world reminding these people that money is no good when the earth is a blackened rock I don't think is progressive it's common sense. 

Do you not agree that more diversity would benefit the country? Otherwise if I get gifted enough money to AstroTurf the earth I should be able to? Or do you not think an elected government should be able to protect its natural environment and resources against people who through nothing but luck own enormous chucks of Scotland and do with it what they please.

34 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Grouse are delicious and shooting is a healthy outdoor sport.  No wonder NatGov hates it.

16 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This old trope?  Really?

9 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

"Decent land management" 😂

You're either desperate or monumentally stupid. Which is it? 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

So this is to what shut the estates down? Tbh I'm not sure it is when these estates were first established the people in them felt duty bound to protect them in the main to protect the natural environment the modern estates are to drive maximum profit at the expense of the country

During my time in A'deenshire I got to know a fair few estate owners and my (then) Mrs did a fair bit of work with said estate owners - having come from a shooting estate in Sweden herself.

The land is their asset and that they are good husbanders of it is beyond doubt, in most cases.

This  is nothing more than the politics of envy but, sadly, not surprising.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

During my time in A'deenshire I got to know a fair few estate owners and my (then) Mrs did a fair bit of work with said estate owners - having come from a shooting estate in Sweden herself.

The land is their asset and that they are good husbanders of it is beyond doubt, in most cases.

This  is nothing more than the politics of envy but, sadly, not surprising.

I'm don't envy anyone who owns an estate, it requires a lot of work and money to run one in the correct manor. Grouse moors in the main are baron places with nothing other than grouse it is of course their asset but just as you can't do what you like to a house the way they manage their land should be subject to control by the relevant authorities 

I agree with Kincardine for once.

I have always pushed the licensing thing through SNP policy making structures as a Trojan horse for the eventual ban of grouse moors and hopefully after the that the state seizure of shooting estates.

Punishing Tories and their housejock lackies is right up there in my motivations for doing so.

22 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I see that the hapless Jupe - the Wolfie Smith of our forum - is joining in.

Nothing good will come from his contribution.

😂

Rent-free, as per. Glorious stuff. 

Btw, made-up tales with made-up people from nineteen-fucking-oatcake don't count for shit. 

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I agree with Kincardine for once.

I have always pushed the licensing thing through SNP policy making structures as a Trojan horse for the eventual ban of grouse moors and hopefully after the that the state seizure of shooting estates.

Punishing Tories and their housejock lackies is right up there in my motivations for doing so.

And once shooting is banned, I've a feeling that I know which sport will be next in the firing line. 

The grouse estates do themselves no favours and play into the hands of the antis but for me and many others this could eventually affect our own pass time/sport if we stay silent. 

Just now, bennett said:

And once shooting is banned, I've a feeling that I know which sport will be next in the firing line. 

The grouse estates do themselves no favours and play into the hands of the antis but for me and many others this could eventually affect our own pass time/sport if we stay silent. 

If you're honestly suggesting football will face harsher government sanctions once grouse shooting is banned then that is wild.