Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

It's Paul O'Donoghue of Wildcat Haven suing Andy Wightman for defamation notoriety. Surprised he's got the time to do this while staving off bankrupting himself paying costs for that. A total crank and I'm amazed he's getting uncritical press coverage for this. This or wolves comes up every couple of years and it's always knocked back because the plan always involves fencing off a big area contrary to right to roam laws. 

Didn't realise it was him -One of the comments in the article is interesting that lynx may pick of feral domestic cats and help wild cats stay wild. 

Do you think that fences are inevitable? I don't think Lynx would home near humans and llamas are fairly effective deterrents to protect sheep.

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Not having a fence provokes objections from farmers, members of public, local authorities. Having a fence provokes hill walkers and access advocates. I'd probably go with no fences and suitable compo if someone's Highland cow gets eaten. 

If you held a gun to my head to say something nice about this proposal, it is marginally better than the last one that wanted to have lynx right next to a grouse shooting estate, 3 guesses.how that would have ended!

The grouse shooters would endorse the plans and everyone would join hands and skip round the soon to be re-wilded moors?

It's Paul O'Donoghue of Wildcat Haven suing Andy Wightman for defamation notoriety. Surprised he's got the time to do this while staving off bankrupting himself paying costs for that. A total crank and I'm amazed he's getting uncritical press coverage for this. This or wolves comes up every couple of years and it's always knocked back because the plan always involves fencing off a big area contrary to right to roam laws. 

Aye, nobody should be holding their breath over this - guys an absolute bellend. I think the Lynx UK Trust would somehow do more damage to the cause than good.

Fencing off and denying access to swathes of land will never happen simply because the opposition from hillwalking/rambling etc groups would be enormous and rightly so.

Indeed. No proposal should include fencing off land. If the powers to be insist that should be the case then I’m afraid it will just go to show how far away we are from making this dream a reality.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2020 at 11:29, RandomGuy. said:

20200824_112312.thumb.jpg.df2d005bc4d52417f8b237c312959d5f.jpg

Hello.

There was one New Year's Day a few years back when I woke up a bit hungover and went through to make coffee. As I was standing at the kitchen window I nearly shat myself when a pair of antlers went across my field of view.

Roe Deer - turned out there was a family group living in the area which became semi-regulars in the garden as it was an ideal route back to the woodland behind it...biggest number I had in the garden at once was five, which I guess counts as a herd...

• 2 weeks later...

I could have sworn there was a topic on this previously but I can't find it so I will post it in here.

A couple of years ago an American golf developer Todd Warnock who, in fairness, has invested a good bit of money in Dornoch benefiting locals and golf visitors, wanted to build a golf course north of Embo which involved building on some protected areas (SPA, SSSI) including dunes and important areas for birds (sounding familiar?). Highland Council, IIRC, went against the recommendation of their planning officials and granted permission for the development citing the socio-economic benefits of the development which would outweigh the adverse environmental effects.

Scottish Ministers called in the application and, after a PLI, agreed with the reporters findings and refused permission as it was agreed that the socio-economic benefits did not outweigh the adverse effects on the environment. Warnock, whilst obviously unhappy, walked away.

Step forward then Embo amateur football club and local councillor Jim McGillvary, who just happens to be Chairman of the Embo Trust who stood to benefit financially from the development if it went ahead, who are proposing another golf course and ancillary facilities, erm, in the exact same location as the original proposal. I'm sure this will be well received...

https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/campaigners-pledge-fight-new-plan-golf-course-wildlife-site-2970275

7 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Great news! Trust the locals to come up with those dreadful names though 🤮

First sea eagle chicks bred in Royal Deeside for about 200 years https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-54161621

Atleast it wasn't Eagle McEagleface.

No knowledge of the incident, aye OK then. You hope that there are some reputable keepers out there but the industry's habit of denying there's even an issue and claming up to protect their own makes it perfectly acceptable to assume that they're all f**king at it.