Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In true Scottish style, I think we should be thinking outside the box with this one, introducing something completely unexpected like the kangaroo. I'd love to drive around Pitlochry and catch a glimpse of a wild kangaroo kicking the shit out of the Hunter-Wellies wearing wanks that reside up that way. Or the fly fishers — f*ck them too. C*nts.
Thank you.

Someone's already nicked your idea.

There is a population of wild wallabies on an island on Loch Lomond.

37 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Not just on the island - supposedly they've been seen on the mainland going back 20 years now, which being as they've been on the island since the 1940s I don't find too surprising. I'm guessing the loch froze over sufficiently one winter if true.

Was there not once a Safari Park at Loch Lomond too? It wouldn't surprise me if there are a bunch of non-native species running about. I've seen the way the lemurs have the run of Blair Drummond, and if they wanted to escape there's not that much to stop them.

Not just on the island - supposedly they've been seen on the mainland going back 20 years now, which being as they've been on the island since the 1940s I don't find too surprising. I'm guessing the loch froze over sufficiently one winter if true.
Apparently wallabies can swim reasonably well. It's only a short distance from Inchconnachan, the island they're on, to a neighbouring island and then another short crossing to the 'mainland' just south of Luss. Pretty sure there was a story a good few years back of a lorry hitting one on the A82.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:17, jamamafegan said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38972081

"Scotland's "dramatic open views and vistas" could be threatened by plans to increase woodland cover, according to mountaineers and gamekeepers.

Mountaineering Scotland and the Scottish Gamekeepers Association have jointly written to Scotland's environment secretary."

What a joke. Mountaineering Scotland should be ashamed of themselves. We all know gamekeepers are desperate to cling onto as much desolate, bleak moorland as possible for their precious grouse shooting reserves - but to suggest trees will "ruin the view?" What an embarrassment. Have these people never been to the likes of Glen Affric before?

It's backwards thinking like this that is holding back Scotland's true countryside potential. Back in the day, Scotland was blanketed in pine forests which supported lots of different species. Then the crofters moved in with the sheep, and then the estates turned the land into grouse shooting moorlands. This has resulted in Scotland coming to resemble, in most part, the surface of the moon.

It's a strange alliance, right enough.  Seems like classic "my enemy's enemy is my friend" territory.  A predictable response from the SGA, but a surprising attitude from MS.

But just to pick up on your timeline of deforestation, you can't really blame crofters.  Crofting is form of land tenure born out of the decline of the clan system and the Highland Clearances in the 18th and 19th centuries.  Deforestation has been happening in Scotland for much longer than that due to agriculture and need for timber.  By the time the Romans arrived in the 1st century, it's estimated we had already lost half of our native forests.

Estates evicting their tenants during the Clearances and replacing them with a huge influx of the "Great White Sheep", the rise of unregulated deer populations on sporting estates, cheap timber exports (meaning less need to protect our own woodland), and WWI all combined to bring our forestry levels to a nadir by the early 20th century.

Reforestation, and rewilding more generally, seeks to repair the ecological damage we've done over millennia.  Whilst there's beauty in Scotland's stark landscapes, a lot of them are only that way because we destroyed what was there before.  I understand the reservations some groups have about reintroduction of species - it's a delicate process, but trees should be much less contentious.

Both groups aren't positioning themselves against tree planting, but are emphasising that it needs to be managed properly, which is promising.  I doubt anyone would disagree with that, but I struggle with the notion that all these desolate landscapes that we created need to be protected at all costs because somehow they epitomise Scotland and tourists won't come if we replace them with rich and varied woodland brimming with wildlife.

7 hours ago, LiamDFC said:

In true Scottish style, I think we should be thinking outside the box with this one, introducing something completely unexpected like the kangaroo. I'd love to drive around Pitlochry and catch a glimpse of a wild kangaroo kicking the shit out of the Hunter-Wellies wearing wanks that reside up that way. Or the fly fishers — f*ck them too. C*nts.

Thank you.

Scotland already has one of the only populations of wild wallabies outside of Australia living on an island in Loch Lomond.  Grated, probably not as handy in a scrap as a kangaroo but a few of them could probably swarm Forbes Farquhar-Belgeddes and the ilk, dishing out punishment beatings in rural Perthshire like some sort of paramilitary marsupial gang.

I see this has already been pointed out by the above posters.

Edited by Aladdin
Didnae read the next page

6 hours ago, LiamDFC said:

Thank you.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/the-loch-lomond-island-home-to-wallabies-and-how-to-get-there-1-4205617

I can't do you kangaroos, will these do?

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

21 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Scotland already has one of the only populations of wild wallabies outside of Australia living on an island in Loch Lomond.  Grated, probably not as handy in a scrap as a kangaroo but a few of them could probably swarm Forbes Farquhar-Belgeddes and the ilk, dishing out punishment beatings in rural Perthshire like some sort of paramilitary marsupial gang.

19 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Thank you Scotland; this makes me happy.

5 hours ago, milton75 said:

We need to eat more venison imo. That'll help protect the trees that are there already/being planted.

I've asked before on here, and surprisingly never got a reasonable answer. But why isn't venison dirt cheap here? I'm  always hearing that deer are pests, numbers need to be controlled. There's a wee herd about 50 yards from my door, they live anywhere.

I've asked before on here, and surprisingly never got a reasonable answer. But why isn't venison dirt cheap here? I'm  always hearing that deer are pests, numbers need to be controlled. There's a wee herd about 50 yards from my door, they live anywhere.

No idea. Best guess I have is that you have to get to a tipping point of demand where butchering etc. is cheaply incorporated in price.

Not sure if that flies though, because rabbit and pheasant are cheap as chips.

12 hours ago, Aladdin said:

There's been wallabies in Derbyshire since WW2, their population fluctuating a fair bit.

There are also about 100 bouncing around the Isle of Man, far more than could have escaped from the local wildlife park over the decades as often claimed, suggesting some nutter or the Tynwald are doing it on purpose on the quiet as a way of keeping certain species of plant in check. The interesting part is they've been found in just about every habitat on the island & shown a remarkable ability to adapt to all, contrary to the previous wisdom of their dependency on particular plant species.

18 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Every Loch would have its own named monster,

Loch Ness - Nessie

Loch Earn - Earnie

Loch Garry - Garry

Loch Leven - Craig Leven

Loch Broom - Sweepie

VisitScotland adverts would be Come to Scotland, It's Monsterous

The franchise is already underway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morag_(loch_monster)

On 16/02/2017 at 01:02, Bully Wee Villa said:

Success!

4fb1a8e64c2843b4662724e165ce0768.jpg

23 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

:lol:

That's brilliant - is it a female?

19 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

Good call but I was going by the plumage.

1 hour ago, The DA said:

Don't the males have green heads?

Aye, that's why I think it's a female Mallard.

mallards.jpg