Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 27/11/2020 at 13:40, invergowrie arab said:

Thanks you for discerning the meaning from my terribly typed post.

I don't know about the rest of Europe

I'm probably talking shit TBF and it's more about the power of the meat and processed food lobby from WWII onwards.

Possibly, but there is something about this country in that there are a lot of, let's call them scum, who are frightened of anything that's not processed. That may partly be down to advertising, but companies like Nestle have a hold all over Europe. It hasn't stopped other countries retaining a greater perceived value within the population of fresh, or wild food.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Is there anyway we can genetically modify an eagle, turn it into a huge big b*****d, then start training them to hunt Tories on Grouse moors?

You'll need to go to middle earth.

Veers into Jamie Oliver when he was saying a Sicilian cobbler with two euros to rub together could make a nourishing plate of pasta by wandering round to the market to buy 6 cherry tomatoes and 7 mussels and why can't poor people do that here, neglecting to acknowledge shops in schemes look like this:
image.png.53aa0d433dd1e9c7b7c2a5bfce61ba26.png
Is that the McColls in Tillydrone that used to be the Broadsword pub??

Thread now pulled due to threat of litigation by landed power. TGE Andy Wightman straight in there in the replies. What a guy.

Turns out he might not have been 100% accurate on the plight of the former tenants, as advised by Buccleugh’s PR guy!

Edited by Snobot
Spelling

On 29/11/2020 at 13:05, NewBornBairn said:

I think that's spectacularly missing the crucial point where the great estates of Scotland became doomed.

In general, the public doesn't give a toss about grouse or deer or poshies stomping about in Tweed with shotguns. Out of sight, out of mind for something that doesn't affect the lives of ordinary people. 

But, when evidence is presented that the estates are slaughtering birds of prey - the animals on posters, pictures, emblems and tattoos all over, public opinion moves. When drivers on the A9 can see the grotesque scars of tracks being carved into the hillside by bulldozers, people wonder if the environment is being destroyed. Then when they present laughingly small numbers of the money being brought in - £7m for grouse shooting, or roughly Kilmarnock's annual revenue, people can see it's a sham. 

The estates as they exist just now are fucked. It's not "if" any more, it's "when". The first major landowner to smell the coffee and switch over to a Yellowstone approach - stop the shoots, encourage re-wilding, cater proactively for tourists - will become a very rich man indeed. 

Anders Povlsen is doing just that, but he is already a very rich man indeed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/mar/21/danish-billionaires-anders-and-anne-holch-povlsen-say-plan-is-to-restore-scottish-highlands

Edited by K77

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

I want 🐻 bears and I cannot lie, when a bear comes round with an itty bitty waist and a brown thing in your face.

PnB isn't usually too keen on bears, have a like.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'm guessing they'll be wanting seal clubbing brought back now 😂

Nae luck, cuntos. 

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

They just shoot them

Actually a bizarrely one-sided article. Goes into the context of the legislation and the effect it will have no these p***ks, but not the reason the legislation was brought into place in the first place.  

Pish really as our common seals are massively in decline and many of the world's grey seals live around the UK coast. Double netting the pens would solve the issue instead of shooting and the use of acoustic deterrents. Did see this story about orcas returning to an ancestral home after the fish farms were removed this week so their god awful impact on surrounding areas really cant be denied now.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cheknews.ca/i-felt-very-emotional-long-lost-orca-pod-returns-home-to-vancouver-island-after-25-years-732327/%3famp

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Thousands of salmon lost in 'major' seal attack - BBC News

The world's tiniest violin out today

Mon the seals. I assume it's lost on the salmon farms that they have done the equivalent of set up a chicken farm in peak fox territory. Idiots.

As for the wider industry why they don't voluntarily follow their companies approach in Norway and at least put a solid base at the bottom of the pens seems beyond me.