Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Don't buy healthy, well-fed grouse or pheasant for the table as they are likely to be shot by fat Tories.

SUPPORT FACTORY FARMS INSTEAD

I of course would never buy factory farmed chicken or any goods for that matter, I for one am glad I can trust the conservative party to ensure commercial farming won't become factory farm with reduced welfare standards.

Oh shit no that's exactly what they are going to do. At least the Tories can afford to shoot what they eat.

oh wait no in most cases they dig a big hole and tip of perfectly edible food into, seems odd thing to do when 61,000 needed emergency food when the Tories came into power and now (19/20) 1,900,122 people need emergency food.

There’s no reason why the traditional estate can’t become more progressive and community owned (eg Eigg, S Uist, West Harris, Assynt and other places) whilst still continuing traditional activities including shooting. This is quite interesting reading:-

https://www.communitylandscotland.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Land-for-the-Common-Good_CLS-manifesto-2020-2.pdf

50% of rural land in Scotland is owned by 400 private owners. It’s a closed and tightly guarded shop. 

Back to grouse moors, if the places blatantly killing raptors lose the right to shoot, they only have their own actions to blame. Licensing might help to focus minds next time an eagle floats by. 

1 hour ago, Snobot said:

Back to grouse moors, if the places blatantly killing raptors lose the right to shoot, they only have their own actions to blame. Licensing might help to focus minds next time an eagle floats by. 

They also had ample opportunity to self regulate themselves and done very little to improve things. 

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I agree with Kincardine for once.

I have always pushed the licensing thing through SNP policy making structures as a Trojan horse for the eventual ban of grouse moors and hopefully after the that the state seizure of shooting estates.

Punishing Tories and their housejock lackies is right up there in my motivations for doing so.

You forgot to mention the mobile guillotines that will accompany this.

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I know what it means both wrt to land management and Scottish society.

"We can buy cheap factory-farmed chicken at the supermarket for £3 a bird but let's not buy grouse or pheasant raised in the open as they were shot by fat Tories".

That's what Natter p***ks are turning Scotland in to.

I've had pheasant lots of times in countries like the Czech Republic. It's delicious. They don't let aristocratic fuckwits own the vast majority of their land though in the expectation that a trickle of food will go to the plebs on the open market. They confiscated their land, divided it up among smallholders and expelled/gulaged the reactionary scum decades ago. 

Would you say that this is a solution to the Scottish land problem?

image.png.051db5d15fbd99b0f5a99eb41caf6eed.png

Edited by vikingTON

Lads, lads, lads, he's winding you up. This "you only don't eat it because it was shot by Tories" is just another "Tartan headed gonks with border guards at Gretna." He's never going to explain what he means or why he thinks that. It's just the most unhinged extrapolation of the things he does believe

Come on mate this is like telling a ten year old that Kane isn’t actually The Undertaker’s estranged brother.

I've had pheasant lots of times in countries like the Czech Republic.

The lack of pheasant in Scottish supermarkets is surely simply down to lack of demand. There are plenty of countries where birds like quail, pheasant and guineafowl are commonly sold in supermarkets, along with animals like horse, frog and deer.
We can certainly supply venison in Scotland but folk just aren't interested. Beef, pork and chicken is all people want.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

The lack of pheasant in Scottish supermarkets is surely simply down to lack of demand. There are plenty of countries where birds like quail, pheasant and guineafowl are commonly sold in supermarkets, along with animals like horse, frog and deer.
We can certainly supply venison in Scotland but folk just aren't interested. Beef, pork and chicken is all people want.

I don't found an disassociate the lack of interest that Scottish people have in game from the fact it was basically illegal for them to obtain it for most of the last 400 years 

I don't found an disassociate the lack of interest that Scottish people have in game from the fact it was basically illegal for them to obtain it for most of the last 400 years 

Is that any different from most of the rest of Europe though?

That may be part of the reason but my father grew up eating a lot of rabbit and that's very difficult to find on sale in the UK nowadays.

31 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

That may be part of the reason but my father grew up eating a lot of rabbit and that's very difficult to find on sale in the UK nowadays.

Thanks you for discerning the meaning from my terribly typed post.

I don't know about the rest of Europe

I'm probably talking shit TBF and it's more about the power of the meat and processed food lobby from WWII onwards.

21 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

There's much more a tradition of hunting in areas of continental Europe like France, Italy and Spain, that transcends the class divide, unlike here. It's much more an activity for everyone, particularly in rural areas.

I know in France, hunting is regulated at the departmental level and you have to have sit an exam to get a licence and then get annual permits and insurance. France also has a wider choice of tasty animals like wild boar to hunt.

On 27/11/2020 at 00:32, The_Kincardine said:

The wee fannies who think it's about being nice to birds, though?

I think that's spectacularly missing the crucial point where the great estates of Scotland became doomed.

In general, the public doesn't give a toss about grouse or deer or poshies stomping about in Tweed with shotguns. Out of sight, out of mind for something that doesn't affect the lives of ordinary people. 

But, when evidence is presented that the estates are slaughtering birds of prey - the animals on posters, pictures, emblems and tattoos all over, public opinion moves. When drivers on the A9 can see the grotesque scars of tracks being carved into the hillside by bulldozers, people wonder if the environment is being destroyed. Then when they present laughingly small numbers of the money being brought in - £7m for grouse shooting, or roughly Kilmarnock's annual revenue, people can see it's a sham. 

The estates as they exist just now are fucked. It's not "if" any more, it's "when". The first major landowner to smell the coffee and switch over to a Yellowstone approach - stop the shoots, encourage re-wilding, cater proactively for tourists - will become a very rich man indeed. 

Edited by NewBornBairn