Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

some important votes this week if you want to pester your MSP.

What else are they voting about? I'm only aware of the vote on whether mountain hares should be added to the protected species list.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Are they finally going after the west coast fish farms?

No, but they might ban acoustic seal scarers. Fish farming is in the main an environmental scandal and has been for 30+ years. Sadly each administration has enthusiastically supported it or at least not effectively regulated it.

The committee tasked with examining the industry and its interactions with wildlife said 2 years ago that the status quo is unacceptable but f*ck all has been done.

It is very easy for the pro farming lobby to play the class card at angling interests, given the number of double barrelled names and baronets involved, but it goes way beyond that to the health of the whole ecosystem. I have access to fishing and thankfully the local farm is one of the few small scale operators with excellent lice control figures, and guess what, the sea trout are doing ok in the locality but it’s a very different story 20 miles away as the crow flies.

I share Mixu’s views on Ewing. I’m pro Independence but the SNP make it hard to vote for them on this particular issue and the wider environmental failings detailed above.

I'm not sure anyone can really claim that the SNP have the environment as a priority. Far too many iconic species are still persecuted with no consequence in Scotland under their watch despite us having the benefit of vicarious liability.

Fergus Ewing, in particular, is an utter worm.

Edited by Rizzo

On 15/06/2020 at 13:56, Snobot said:

I share Mixu’s views on Ewing. I’m pro Independence but the SNP make it hard to vote for them on this particular issue and the wider environmental failings detailed above.

On 15/06/2020 at 14:45, Rizzo said:

I'm not sure anyone can really claim that the SNP have the environment as a priority. Far too many iconic species are still persecuted with no consequence in Scotland under their watch despite us having the benefit of vicarious liability.

Fergus Ewing, in particular, is an utter worm.

Agree with these comments. The SNP, whilst I agree with a lot of their policies, have been disappointing WRT the environment. I was quite surprised that Coul Links was canned after being called in.

36 minutes ago, RiG said:

Agree with these comments. The SNP, whilst I agree with a lot of their policies, have been disappointing WRT the environment. I was quite surprised that Coul Links was canned after being called in.

The ecologist who did the study giving Trump development the thumbs up was a lot less enthusiastic when it was on his door step!

4 hours ago, RH33 said:

The ecologist who did the study giving Trump development the thumbs up was a lot less enthusiastic when it was on his door step!

Shocking(!)

Noticed the rewilding  of George Square over the weekend , with a herd of utter bampots , congregating for reasons known only to themselves and Mother Nature.

opportunity for a cull missed , methinks 

Edited by bishopburn boy
I can’t spell

Countryside Alliance, BASC, GWCT and SGA will all be utterly seething.

Looking for at least 2 tear-stained statements along the usual lines within the next 12 hours.

They don't live in the countryside, how can they possibly understand our ways... been doing this for centuries blah fucking blah.

Stopped in at mates today who's been putting out traps for his landlord, he lives in a gate house of a rather large castle/country house. The landlord has thriving population of red squirrels, who lately, have been getting attacked by greys so my mate has been catching some. I arrived just as the estate keeper was taking them out the traps, there was a red in one so it got released,  the others? f**k me, he grabbed them by the tails then just went over and smashed them off a tree. Pretty  brutal but it certainly achieved what he wanted.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Stopped in at mates today who's been putting out traps for his landlord, he lives in a gate house of a rather large castle/country house. The landlord has thriving population of red squirrels, who lately, have been getting attacked by greys so my mate has been catching some. I arrived just as the estate keeper was taking them out the traps, there was a red in one so it got released,  the others? f**k me, he grabbed them by the tails then just went over and smashed them off a tree. Pretty  brutal but it certainly achieved what he wanted.

PM his phone number to  Melanie's Malarkey. 

Good. Sounds like a quick dispatch. I would have put them in a pot as well. All in favour of eradicating greys from this country and I’ve absolutely no time for suggestions they should be left alone because it’s cruel to kill them etc.

I once met an ecologist on a job down south who tried to tell me it was wrong to get rid of them because it was cruel. Couldn’t believe what I was hearing. She’s clearly in the wrong game if thats her way of thinking.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Can somebody please explain how the hares’ days are numbered because they will no longer be on the receiving end of an annual massacre? Probably some pish about over-population, disease, hunger. Well lads, if you’d maybe stop killing all the other predators there might not be a f*cking problem.

Mountain Hares are cool creatures. ’Mon the hares.

5 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Can somebody please explain how the hares’ days are numbered because they will no longer be on the receiving end of an annual massacre? Probably some pish about over-population, disease, hunger. Well lads, if you’d maybe stop killing all the other predators there might not be a f*cking problem.

Mountain Hares are cool creatures. ’Mon the hares.

They are also delicious.  The best game I have ever cooked and eaten.

11 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Good. Sounds like a quick dispatch. I would have put them in a pot as well. All in favour of eradicating greys from this country and I’ve absolutely no time for suggestions they should be left alone because it’s cruel to kill them etc.

I once met an ecologist on a job down south who tried to tell me it was wrong to get rid of them because it was cruel. Couldn’t believe what I was hearing. She’s clearly in the wrong game if thats her way of thinking.

I've no qualms about the outcome, not my house/land after all, the 10 year old laddie who came off the trampoline to see the wee squirrels, not so much :lol:

Exactly. I saw a guy on Facebook there claim that there will be more hares in a “poor state” as a result of this. I swiftly told him that any hares in a poor state would be picked off by predators - such is the natural order of things. Thing is, they know fine well there are no predators because they’ve killed them all.

Another claim I’ve seen them peddle is that the hares will eat all the trees, this “will be a disaster for animals and trees.” An absolutely laughable statement to make considering you’d be incredibly lucky to find any trees on a grouse moor and there’s virtually no wildlife to be seen for miles and miles.

This myth that they keep pushing, that grouse moors are some sort of havens for wildlife is nothing more than that - a total myth. Yesterday’s result is another step towards ending driven grouse moor practises on our hills - the keepery types all know it, they’ve been boxed into a corner by conservationists, ecologists and politicians and they are terrified. It’s absolutely glorious.