Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Plenty of studies show environmental tourism is now a far bigger economic driver than "sporting" tourism. That's before you even consider how much of the money these c***s bring in ever goes back into the local community.

Sporting estates still like to pretend they are the only game in town though.

It would be interesting to see lynx introduced but gamekeepers would have them shot and dumped in the sea within weeks the same they do with raptors. Or trapped and poisoned like they do with wildcats, pine martens, polecats and ravens, or shot like they do with mountain hare

There is no reason we can't re-introduce stuff and keep the murderous sociopaths happy. We can reintroduce them, then have them shot by paying maniacs.

• 1 month later...

“The Danish retail billionaire who has become Britain’s biggest private landowner has outlined his hugely ambitious 200-year plans to “re-wild” the “most vulnerable, precious and mysteriously beautiful landscapes” in the Highlands.

In an open letter to the people of Scotland, Anders Povlsen, who now owns 12 estates covering more than 220,000 acres, says his “simple” vision is to “restore our parts of the Highlands to their former magnificent natural state and repair the harm that man has inflicted on them”.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/02/danish-billionaire-explains-re-wilding-vision-highlands/?utm_source=All+Contacts&utm_campaign=65f610b886-Morning+Briefing031218&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dd843c5cb6-65f610b886-21861551&goal=0_dd843c5cb6-65f610b886-21861551&mc_cid=65f610b886&mc_eid=e30b4a441c

My first thoughts: our man Anders here is an absolute legend. He could quite possibly transform the face of our countryside and leave a truly incredible legacy.

My seconds thoughts are that it’s a really sorry state of affairs when we have to rely on a very rich foreign man to enhance our landscapes and biodiversity - when really that is the job of our own government and our “national parks.”

Hopefully Anders can provide the powerful voice that politicians will finally listen to.

58 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

My seconds thoughts are that it’s a really sorry state of affairs when we have to rely on a very rich foreign man to enhance our landscapes and biodiversity - when really that is the job of our own government and our “national parks.”

Sadly the SNP won't risk pissing off farmers by reintroducing Lynx or wolves to Scotland. Fergus Ewing has been quoted at various NFU events saying such reintroductions would happen over his dead body.

Sadly the SNP won't risk pissing off farmers by reintroducing Lynx or wolves to Scotland. Fergus Ewing has been quoted at various NFU events saying such reintroductions would happen over his dead body.

Indeed. They’d risk losing votes in the rural areas which they obviously do not want.

Fergus Ewing though, is a massive arsehole.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

WE can solve 2 problems at once , we can eradicate the native but pestilential "Scheme Goblin"  by introducing them to the wild and leaving them to the Bears , Wolves and Lynx  , once they have been successfully culled and natures balance has been restored  ( this will mean a sharp increase in predator numbers while the pitiful . but plentiful prey are consumed ) the predator numbers will drop and we will have to give them a few sheep

small price to pay 

A bit of a set back yesterday for the rewilding movement, albeit in England.

Lynx UK Trust’s application for reintroduction of Lynx to Northumberland has been rejected by the government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-46446890

Real shame this as it would likely have paved the way for reintroductions in Scotland as well. I was under the impression that Lynx UK are pretty on the ball so I was surprised to see the government say there was any holes
in the plans. Probably the UK government being complete dicks as usual.

Reintroducing the lynx has to be the next major rewilding step in Scotland. Sadly as RiG has said above, it’s unlikely the SNP would risk upsetting rural communities - and we have absolute backwards numpties like Ewing to contend with. There would have to be overwhelming support in the countryside from SNP voting landowners.

Article last week that they are looking at a cull of wild boar due to the THREAT of pigs being infected by some disease, not to mention a few other areas for people feeling intimidated by them and numbers growing.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/19/national-trust-criticised-after-hiring-marksman-to-cull-wild-boar-stourhead-estate

https://news.sky.com/story/out-of-control-wild-boar-to-be-culled-in-the-uk-as-numbers-soar-11561926

• 2 months later...

IMG_4456.jpg

For those who don’t know, this is the practise known as muir burning. Estate workers torch the hills to allow new heather to grow for the grouse to eat in preparation for following shooting seasons. It’s one of the reasons why huge parts of our country are devoid of life, complete wastelands.

I think grouse shooting has a place in Scotland but it’s currently an unsustainable practise and it’s terrible for native wildlife. Imagine what our country would look like with not just more trees, but with upland scrubland and true succession of plants into the alpine zone. It would be glorious.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

IMG_4456.jpg

For those who don’t know, this is the practise known as muir burning. Estate workers torch the hills to allow new heather to grow for the grouse to eat in preparation for following shooting seasons. It’s one of the reasons why huge parts of our country are devoid of life, complete wastelands.

I think grouse shooting has a place in Scotland but it’s currently an unsustainable practise and it’s terrible for native wildlife. Imagine what our country would look like with not just more trees, but with upland scrubland and true succession of plants into the alpine zone. It would be glorious.

I'm ingnorant of this but they do they burn the old stuff surely it regrows for the grouse to eat? Also are they not in danger of starting wild fires? I'm surprised they are allowed to do this

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Yes they burn it to produce shoots for grouse. What habitat there is in heather for anything else is wiped out and when this coincides with rain, the little nutrients that exist are washed down the hill.

Estates can do whatever they like, and muir burn is arguably at the less heinous end. Have a look at the archives on

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com

It is a bloodbath out there. The Ewing wing means the SNP will never take any action though.

Thanks for that, not enjoyable reading but now better informed. I'm quite frankly amazed that they are allowed to set fires like that. We do have better laws around fox hunting compared to England some some action has been taken in my opinion however obviously some way to go

• 1 month later...