Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Racist. Whichever species is best equipped should prosper, outside those that we bumped off the island and need to reintroduce. Red squirrels are quite literally the gingers of the animal kingdom. No one likes them: they will not reproduce.

it makes more sense to kill and eat the greys as you get more meat from them. Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

How would we stop wolves eating sheep instead of deer?

That's an issue. In other countries where wolves live, farmers are given grants to compensate for the loss of livestock.

The question then is where would the money come from to do this? I reckon the income generated from resulting tourism could go some of the way for covering this.

For the greater good I think it needs to be done. If other countries can cope then there is no reason why we can't either.

it makes more sense to kill and eat the greys as you get more meat from them.

Kill to eat as many as you wish of either; culling greys cos' ginger squirrels existed here first is still a ridiculous stance.

Edited by vikingTON

Pleasantly surprised by the results of this poll, I definitely thought I would be pretty much alone in wanting bears in addition to everything else.

Yeah, it seems the positives of doing so (wildlife tourism, controlling overpopulation etc.) would far outweigh the negatives (attacks on humans, issues with livestock etc.). Not many bears could populate the country anyway, given they generally require a large amount of land and food to sustain them, so numbers would be very low which should limit attacks on humans.

In addition to this bears could be carefully tracked and monitored within the country to further reduce the likelihood of attacks on humans.

Wild boar would be fantastic for hunting as well!

There is another consideration. Scotland ranks high when it comes to glorious scenery. We have a world-class level of beauty but our fauna is boring as f**k. Our only noteworthy predatory mammals are foxes and jaiked-up scheme neds.

So I'd say reintroduce the lot and make Scotland's wilderness edgy again. Oh and modify the Protection of Wild Mammals (Scotland) Act 2002 to make anyone with a Burberry cap and Sovvy rings fair game.

Tally ho.