Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The shooty fraternity really are a tear-stained mess these days. Fresh from campaigning against Calor Gas, they're now greeting about the winner of the Countryfile photo competition [emoji23]

They're even greeting about butchers not displaying carcasses in their windows these days ffs.

11 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

The shooty fraternity really are a tear-stained mess these days. Fresh from campaigning against Calor Gas, they're now greeting about the winner of the Countryfile photo competition emoji23.png

They're even greeting about butchers not displaying carcasses in their windows these days ffs.

Given all the recent bad press regarding shooting and dodgy game keepers it's  no wonder they're on the defensive atm.

It'll be interesting to see the research that's been commissioned to evaluate the ecological impact of releasing 43 million non-native game birds into the UK countryside every year. Funny how the part of the Wildlife & Countryside act which states that the deliberate act of releasing non native flora and fauna is considered an offence is completely ignored where game birds are concerned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Interesting window into how parts of rural Scotland operate:

This could all have been resolved amicably by waiting until the people were out to shoot the cats. Then tell them that they've gone to live on a farm.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Get that bunch from don't f**k with cats on to this case ASAP. Justice for folk with large fences and no pal down the pub.

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

"In October, however, the shooting season started. “A neighbour said: ‘I’d keep your cats in. We know the groundskeeper has shot 12 cats to stop them taking the game birds.” Lana and her husband were appalled, but thought that, if they reasoned with the local landowner, he would have his gamekeeper leave the cats alone. They were wrong. “He said: ‘It’s my land, I’ll do what the hell I like. Who do you think you are? You’re not even from round here!’” Once-friendly neighbours took his side. “We were shunned. He had a lot of influence in the community.”

Fearful for their cats’ safety – they were worried the gamekeeper might shoot into their garden – they erected a six-foot fence. Being ostracised in a close-knit rural community took its toll. “No one would talk to us. You’d go into the pub and people would turn their backs on you. From a mental health point of view, it impacted us a lot.” They started finding rocks on their driveway. Eventually they sold up. They now live in a rented house in France, where their cats are free to roam again."

RuralLife.PNG.53022a0914702388b205ce147dc60cb2.PNG

RuralLifePt2.PNG.54c790bcb2cba669bde7c970c5ae366f.PNG

The End

Edited by Hedgecutter

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/25/yellowstone-wolf-project-25th-anniversary

This article from today's Guardian provides a good summary of the benefits that have been seen since wolves were re-introduced into Yellowstone National Park 25 years ago... here's hoping for something similar in Scotland!

• 1 month later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/science/pablo-escobar-hippos.html

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/24/pablo-escobars-cocaine-hippos-show-how-invasive-species-can-restore-a-lost-world-aoe

Quite interesting articles in the New York Times/Guardian, about the accidental success of Pablo Escoabr's pet hippos in restoring balance to the Colombian eco-system.  Maybe all Scotland needs is an extrovert drug kingpin to build his own prison in the highlands, complete with some exotic animals... 

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2020/04/01/andy-wightman-msp-secures-immediate-temporary-muirburn-ban/?fbclid=IwAR0779MlKK10ICE_knWIxDNuvWM512KucZAWPwjlxmAqmAKTLvXlVDpDPzE

Pleasing. On yourself big Andy. Although it might not have much of an impact, with the muirburning season ending 30th of April, it's got the grousers all upset which is always good to watch 😄

10 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2020/04/01/andy-wightman-msp-secures-immediate-temporary-muirburn-ban/?fbclid=IwAR0779MlKK10ICE_knWIxDNuvWM512KucZAWPwjlxmAqmAKTLvXlVDpDPzE

Pleasing. On yourself big Andy. Although it might not have much of an impact, with the muirburning season ending 30th of April, it's got the grousers all upset which is always good to watch 😄

I also very much enjoyed seeing BASC bleating about shooting estates not being entitled to government support during the conoravirus pandemic.

https://basc.org.uk/basc-calls-on-scottish-government-to-rectify-the-lack-of-support-for-shooting-businesses/

I also very much enjoyed seeing BASC bleating about shooting estates not being entitled to government support during the conoravirus pandemic.
https://basc.org.uk/basc-calls-on-scottish-government-to-rectify-the-lack-of-support-for-shooting-businesses/
This was truly delightful stuff. As I understand it, only businesses paying rates can apply. I seem to recall the likes of BASC having absolute tantrums over this a while back, with ScotGov relenting and leaving it up to local authorities. Glorious that their own greed has bitten them on the arse.

Trying to plead poverty when you're charging £10,000 for a day's shooting can get straight in the bin.

5 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

This was truly delightful stuff. As I understand it, only businesses paying rates can apply. I seem to recall the likes of BASC having absolute tantrums over this a while back, with ScotGov relenting and leaving it up to local authorities. Glorious that their own greed has bitten them on the arse.

Trying to plead poverty when you're charging £10,000 for a day's shooting can get straight in the bin.

I was just having a look at their Facebook page and noticed they'd been posting little wildlife identification quizzes. 

As a teacher myself it was nice to see that they'd offered appropriate challenge by matching the question standard to their audience.

Screenshot_20200402-175120_Chrome.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...