Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

Surely re-introducing Lynx and Wolves are dangerous to the people that regularly walk the munros, west highland way etc every year? Will there be any laws and regulations on weapons to defend yourself should you encounter one?

That would be no great loss, imho...

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I get loads of Bullfinches in my garden, so it's fine.

ETA: here's a photo of one from the other day with one of its wee Greenfinch pals. 

IMG_20190424_182715.jpg

We get a lot of sparrows and finches, I can't remember what colour they are! :lol: And a bossy robin.

They queue up on the telephone wire and wait their turn.

Surely re-introducing Lynx and Wolves are dangerous to the people that regularly walk the munros, west highland way etc every year? Will there be any laws and regulations on weapons to defend yourself should you encounter one?
I would imagine the danger to the public from wolves and/or lynx would be next to f**k all to be honest. If anything it would probably increase the visitor numbers on the off chance of spotting them

2 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Given there's never been a recorded incidence of a wild lynx attacking a human in Europe I think you'll be okay. They are reclusive and mainly nocturnal tending to stick to forest cover. Unless you happen to pitch up a tent in some woods with a starving lynx and slather yourself in ketchup and simply lie there you will unlikely be bothered by one.

For wolves there have been recorded attacks but the majority, if not all of them, are not fatal -particularly in recent years. Wolves that have attacked humans have typically done so because they are suffering from rabies or in self defence. Given that rabies has largely been eradicated from most of Europe it is unlikely that a rabid wolf would attack a human if they were introduced here. There are currently more than 12,000 wolves in Europe and  more than 50,000 wolves in North America,yet there have only been a handful of attacks in recent decades despite these populations living in relatively close proximity to millions of humans.

Edited by RiG

• 1 month later...
bump - chuck him a tenner he's a one man war against all the folk ruining Scotland's wild places.
https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/legal-costs-of-defending-a-defamation-action

I gave him £30. It costs a fucking fortune to defend a legal action. Fucking joke. Anyway, hope he wins.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

bump - chuck him a tenner he's a one man war against all the folk ruining Scotland's wild places.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/legal-costs-of-defending-a-defamation-action

Just found this thread and pretty impressive stuff. Not sure about the bears though but the rest get my vote.

£20 heading that mans way. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

More blatant criminality.

That's in addition to the tagged hen harrier found dead in an illegal trap in Perth a few days ago. The Scottish government is getting conservation of native wildlife so badly wrong. These bloody grouse moors need to be heavily licenced as they seem to fully rely on criminal activity to function. There also needs to be a stronger deterrent for wildlife crime. It's far to easy to get away with shit like this.

Edited by Rizzo

• 2 weeks later...

For me, this is just heartbreaking to see. This beautiful bird suffering in the name of grouse shooting.

The Scottish Government needs to grow a set and take serious action. This problem is not going away. The grouse shooting industry should be shut down and undergo a massive shake up. How many more rare raptors are going to die until something is done about this?

• 5 weeks later...

IMG_6161.jpg

This is being widely shared tonight.

A first year golden eagle has been photographed in Deeside with what appears to be a trap clamped around its leg. Yet another example of barbaric act towards raptors in Scotland from people with a certain agenda. Expecting the Scottish Government to come out with another pitiful statement saying how they condemn these acts and not take any further action. How long will this illegal persecution go on for?

Speaking to acquaintances with connections to keepers , crime against raptors is still absolutely and unashamedly rife. One story revolved around a keeper persecuting Red Kites, which won’t even make a difference to game birds.

Scottish Government’s nature conservation leaves a lot to be desired, but how can they stop this and other similar crimes is the question when attitudes are so entrenched?

It struck me yesterday on my travels up the A9 and beyond how much of a charred desert the grouse orientated Drumochter hills are, whereas in contrast native tree planting further north (Aultguish to Ullapool) is starting to become established and will seriously improve the landscape and environment. 

Speaking to acquaintances with connections to keepers , crime against raptors is still absolutely and unashamedly rife. One story revolved around a keeper persecuting Red Kites, which won’t even make a difference to game birds.
Scottish Government’s nature conservation leaves a lot to be desired, but how can they stop this and other similar crimes is the question when attitudes are so entrenched?

Ultimately it takes regular, unannounced extensive searches.

Farmings has in the past taken a ‘they ain’t going to stop me ‘ attitude, and whilst it still exists having the thought that SEPA etc might just turn up at least makes them give it’s a 2nd thought. Gaming needs the same attitude.

8 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

IMG_6161.jpg

This is being widely shared tonight.

A first year golden eagle has been photographed in Deeside with what appears to be a trap clamped around its leg. Yet another example of barbaric act towards raptors in Scotland from people with a certain agenda. Expecting the Scottish Government to come out with another pitiful statement saying how they condemn these acts and not take any further action. How long will this illegal persecution go on for?

Unsurprisingly the shooting community have well and truly circled the wagons on this one, instead of trying to accept some responsibility. This hilariously paranoid rant was on a local facebook page last night. The boy's absolutely obsessed with the RSPB and Chris Packham as well. 

1927605183_Screenshot2019-08-14at06_56_36.png.d699aec79ad6a529a77bf9534b473aea.png

8 hours ago, Snobot said:

It struck me yesterday on my travels up the A9 and beyond how much of a charred desert the grouse orientated Drumochter hills are, whereas in contrast native tree planting further north (Aultguish to Ullapool) is starting to become established and will seriously improve the landscape and environment. 

You don't even have to go as far north as Aultguish to see what can be achieved by responsible estate management. Glen Feshie is being returned to its natural state and it's a stunning place. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

13 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Unsurprisingly the shooting community have well and truly circled the wagons on this one, instead of trying to accept some responsibility. This hilariously paranoid rant was on a local facebook page last night. The boy's absolutely obsessed with the RSPB and Chris Packham as well. 

1927605183_Screenshot2019-08-14at06_56_36.png.d699aec79ad6a529a77bf9534b473aea.png

You don't even have to go as far north as Aultguish to see what can be achieved by responsible estate management. Glen Feshie is being returned to its natural state and it's a stunning place. 

That's funny, the first I saw of it was yesterday on Facebook and the first comment was from an utter moon-howler who reckoned Chris Packham had personally set it all up. A lot of them have gone well beyond the line where they start to believe their own drivel.

That's funny, the first I saw of it was yesterday on Facebook and the first comment was from an utter moon-howler who reckoned Chris Packham had personally set it all up. A lot of them have gone well beyond the line where they start to believe their own drivel.
"Corvids" are the latest target of their ire. I assume they f**k with grouse in some way or another.

15 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
18 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

"Corvids" are the latest target of their ire. I assume they f**k with grouse in some way or another.

God knows what specific threat they pose to grouse. Feels like they're one of the many species that are perceived to be a threat in some way but there's probably limited evidence.

To hear some farmers talk about them it's a wonder anyone ever gets to eat Scottish lamb what with all the corvids lining up at the birth of every lamb ever. 

They peck the eyes out and pull the intestines out through the arsehole apparently, and they ALWAYS go for the eyes first.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone interested in planting native trees from seed but not quite sure how to do so? I've just been made aware of this nifty wee handbook and printed a copy for myself. Includes some useful info, such as what month to collect seeds from the different species and how to prepare the seeds for sowing. There's plenty of species in the list that will be setting seeds from now until November, so it's a good time to get collecting next time you're out for a walk!

https://treegrowing.tcv.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/handbook.pdf