Rewilding Scotland

Reintroduction of native species to Scotland  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Welcome to Highland Scotland. This is a photo taken recently in an area of moorland. A truck full of dead hares. They are being killed, legally unbelievably, because game keepers say it helps prevent the spread of disease in grouse.

I'm sick of what game keepers have to say because clearly they don't give a f**k about our wildlife. More shocking still is that the government allow this to happen. It's countryside management that's gone out of control. We should be promoting our wildlife to the world, not allowing for it to be destroyed for the benefit of the Tory game keepers. Game keepers:

1) Don't like trees

2) Don't like hares

3) Don't like raptors

They are an actual shit stain on our land. Get them to f**k

P.s. I'm not one for petitions but I signed this one. http://onekind.scot/campaigns/protect_mountain_hares_in_cairngorms_national_park/

b3a0c0207eb3e767eb0bc3d7e34cd34f.jpg

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/rewilding/

I’ll be pledging some dough to this for sure.

It’s been a while since I posted in this thread. Does anyone else here share the vision for rewilding Scotland?

Good spot, I'll be donating to that.

I was at a talk last week on lynx reintroduction to Scotland given by an old university lecturer of mine. Really interesting stuff with the main takeaway point being that Scotland could, potentially, support a population of a few hundred lynx. Sadly I doubt the SG would ever let this happen and Fergus Ewing has been quoted as saying reintroduction of lynx would happen "over his dead body" which is massively disappointing.

On 01/03/2017 at 20:32, jamamafegan said:

Welcome to Highland Scotland. This is a photo taken recently in an area of moorland. A truck full of dead hares. They are being killed, legally unbelievably, because game keepers say it helps prevent the spread of disease in grouse.

I'm sick of what game keepers have to say because clearly they don't give a f**k about our wildlife. More shocking still is that the government allow this to happen. It's countryside management that's gone out of control. We should be promoting our wildlife to the world, not allowing for it to be destroyed for the benefit of the Tory game keepers. Game keepers:

1) Don't like trees

2) Don't like hares

3) Don't like raptors

They are an actual shit stain on our land. Get them to f**k

P.s. I'm not one for petitions but I signed this one. http://onekind.scot/campaigns/protect_mountain_hares_in_cairngorms_national_park/

b3a0c0207eb3e767eb0bc3d7e34cd34f.jpg

Not to mention the art of burning vast areas of heather.  Love seeing adders and such but you've got to wonder how many perish because of this ridiculous practice.

Spotted a hen harrier on Mull last year and am prepared for that to be my last look at the species due to their constant, blatant yet still illegal persecution.

I'd love to see driven grouse shooting completely banned and game keepers all on the dole.

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2018 at 18:13, jamamafegan said:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/rewilding/

I’ll be pledging some dough to this for sure.

It’s been a while since I posted in this thread. Does anyone else here share the vision for rewilding Scotland?

My copy of this book arrived yesterday. Great read so far.

Was reading a while back that the red squirrel might not be doomed as we thought - it has native-born hauners on the horizon in the shape of the pine marten which is making a reasonably big comeback, certainly in Scotland...martens will eat grey squirrels but not red ones, and as they spread into an area the greys' population plummets....

How much do game keepers actually contribute to society / gov' coffers?  I can't imagine it propping up any communities (other than perhaps a two house hamlet) and it's surely a pretty niche activity played by a tiny minority?  For harm vs reward, it seems ridiculous.

My copy of this book arrived yesterday. Great read so far.

I’ve just finished reading mine. I haven’t bought a book in years and I love it. It has now become my bible - my mission is to make sure as many people as possible get to borrow it and read it. Beautiful images in it and loads of interesting information - I didn’t know the extent to which our marine life has been exploited and damaged by dredging. It’s important people in Scotland know about these things.

IMG_3473.jpg

Was reading a while back that the red squirrel might not be doomed as we thought - it has native-born hauners on the horizon in the shape of the pine marten which is making a reasonably big comeback, certainly in Scotland...martens will eat grey squirrels but not red ones, and as they spread into an area the greys' population plummets....

The book said this as well, I find that fascinating - do you know why Martens leave the reds alone but target greys?

13 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The book said this as well, I find that fascinating - do you know why Martens leave the reds alone but target greys?

To raid their stashes of nylons and Hershey bars.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

If I remember right, it was something to do with greys spending more time on the ground feeding and being an easier catch than the more arboreal reds.

Plus they're racists.

On 02/10/2018 at 13:51, Hedgecutter said:

How much do game keepers actually contribute to society / gov' coffers?  I can't imagine it propping up any communities (other than perhaps a two house hamlet) and it's surely a pretty niche activity played by a tiny minority?  For harm vs reward, it seems ridiculous.

Plenty of studies show environmental tourism is now a far bigger economic driver than "sporting" tourism. That's before you even consider how much of the money these c***s bring in ever goes back into the local community.

Sporting estates still like to pretend they are the only game in town though.

It would be interesting to see lynx introduced but gamekeepers would have them shot and dumped in the sea within weeks the same they do with raptors. Or trapped and poisoned like they do with wildcats, pine martens, polecats and ravens, or shot like they do with mountain hare

54 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It would be interesting to see lynx introduced but gamekeepers would have them shot and dumped in the sea within weeks the same they do with raptors. Or trapped and poisoned like they do with wildcats, pine martens, polecats and ravens, or shot like they do with mountain hare

I think we should go down the Hunger Games route, but rather than unfairly pick random punters from society, we should take the gamekeepers and release them  onto the moors with a 24 hr window where it's ok to shoot at them (they'd wear a special tag to avoid everybody shooting at everybody).  If they survive then they can go about killing animals in the same fashion for another year and if they don't make it then whoever inherits it all is entered the following year.  I'd certainly pay top dollar to watch that.