stirling university - full of bad 'uns

Njord

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But we've moved passed that now, people aged similiar to me have grown up in a world where blacks and whites are equal so why keep harking back to a time when we weren't? Is that not just keeping the problem around?

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me here? If you aren't then 'blacking up' is keeping the problem around, as it's harking back to a time when we weren't treated as equals. The more people replicate it, the more we'll struggle to move on. It's completely unnecessary, and anyone with even a slight knowledge of racial history knows just how offensive 'blackface' is.

The way you've worded that looks like you're in agreement with me though.

You genuinly think that if someone wears a Jimmy hat and that person isn't Scottish then that is racist?

Making fun of another culture is racist. it'll probably not be a big deal to many folk but it is still sketchy. A better example would be to dress up as a Native American or a Mexican in a sombrero.

My mum's English and my dad's Scottish, am I alright? I own one and don't want arrested.

Hanging offense imo...

Making fun of another culture is racist. it'll probably not be a big deal to many folk but it is still sketchy. A better example would be to dress up as a Native American or a Mexican in a sombrero.

Native Americans wear sombreros ?

Fairdoes I agree with you there.

It was a stupid idea to go with because of the past. Especially being a university team as it'll be highlighted. But I definitely don't think any one of them are racist.

They've attempted to look like an ACON team, that's all there is to it. They should be warned not to act like fannies again as they're representing a Uni but that's all.

Stupid? Definitely. Racist? no.

So you do think it's racist then, albeit unintentional? That's fair enough.

Of a squad of 30-40 university students though, you'd think that at least one of them would realise that what they were doing was at least a little dodgy. Chances are most of them did realise, but they wanted to demostrate an edgy, 'don't give a shit' attitude. Then if called up about it, they can give it the 'we just wanted to celebrate the AFCON and we didn't realise blackface was bad as we're so young' babyface routine.

I hope the university comes down on them like a tonne of bricks. Can't imagine them being punished too severely though, as it's basically the entire football team.

Maybe not in the same timeline as you refer to, but jeebus, you really need to get out more.

I need to get out more? You just said you think jimmy wigs are racist.

I think I'm perfectly fine thanks I get out 7 days a week and hold a very responsible job. I think sometime people go way ott on this site though.

Unreal.

I think I'm perfectly fine thanks I get out 7 days a week and hold a very responsible job. I think sometime people go way ott on this site though.

Unreal.

Earns £9 an hour in my opinion...

Unreal.

Stop responding to trolls.

So you do think it's racist then, albeit unintentional? That's fair enough.

Of a squad of 30-40 university students though, you'd think that at least one of them would realise that what they were doing was at least a little dodgy. Chances are most of them did realise, but they wanted to demostrate an edgy, 'don't give a shit' attitude. Then if called up about it, they can give it the 'we just wanted to celebrate the AFCON and we didn't realise blackface was bad as we're so young' babyface routine.

I hope the university comes down on them like a tonne of bricks. Can't imagine them being punished too severely though, as it's basically the entire football team.

This.

Close thread.

Archived