Dingwall/Highland things to do..

I have an exchange student coming to visit Glasgow next week and she's been telling me that at some point she'd like to visit the highlands. I'm trying to manufacture it so that I can make the Motherwell game at Ross County at the same time but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things to do/go and see that aren't too far from Dingwall? I might be too pushed for time to make this workable but I was thinking if we left at 6 or 7AM there might be time to stop off somewhere on the way but my tourist information is non existent, is there anything at the cairngorms national park? The website makes it look as if there's lots of decent scenery but not much in the way of real things to do.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an exchange student coming to visit Glasgow next week and she's been telling me that at some point she'd like to visit the highlands. I'm trying to manufacture it so that I can make the Motherwell game at Ross County at the same time but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things to do/go and see that aren't too far from Dingwall? I might be too pushed for time to make this workable but I was thinking if we left at 6 or 7AM there might be time to stop off somewhere on the way but my tourist information is non existent, is there anything at the cairngorms national park? The website makes it look as if there's lots of decent scenery but not much in the way of real things to do.

A distillery tour seems like the easy option to me. Plenty nearby with visitor centres.

Im sure you'll find something to do.

My thoughts exactly.

There is zero chance of this happening unfortunately.

A distillery tour seems like the easy option to me. Plenty nearby with visitor centres.

I'd thought about that but i'll be driving so not really able to enjoy it properly.

I'd go up the scenic way via Fort William (OK not that part so much) and the Great Glen. Urquhart Castle and checking out Loch Ness for the monster tends to be the stereotypical thing to do.

Cheers, i'll have a look at Urquhart castle.

I'd go up the scenic way via Fort William (OK not that part so much) and the Great Glen. Urquhart Castle and checking out Loch Ness for the monster tends to be the stereotypical thing to do.

And maybe stop for lunch at Fort Augustus. There's a place called The Boathouse Lochside that does good food with a stunning view of Loch Ness. You could go an a wee boat trip as well.

http://www.lochnessboathouse.co.uk/

http://www.cruiselochness.com/

P.S. From the restaurant website it looks like the management has changed so I can't swear to the quality. It was great last summer though.

:lol: Cheers for the serious suggestions thus far, Urquhart castle and the loch ness boat trip seems like it'll likely be the plan of action. If we do decide to go to the game i'll be sitting in the county end to avoid the inevitable peltering from my pals in the away end, fresh from a 4 hour lubricated bus drive so if anyone spots a canadian burd, you'll know who i am - there will be no pictures.

Might be an idea to take the train instead of a bus? You can get off then continue your journey at the same station.

Generally more scenic journey than the bus.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/Glas-Ed-InvDec14.pdf

I had a look at the train but the cheapest fair I could see was about £60 return and we're both on a student budget, it'll only be around half that in fuel I think.

Also if going on a day trip, you would have to wait until 19:19 to get a train back to Inverness from Dingwall after the match (to connect with the 20:15 Glasgow train)

A day trip to see a match at Dingwall from Glasgow via train can be a bit of a pain as:

You either: Have to leave the match early to get the 16:26 train or wait until the 19:19 train. The train station is 5 mins at most from the ground on foot.

Archived