Sporting Integrity (again) - Rangers Loan Signings

Aren't loans between Scottish clubs limited to 1/2 players?

If so, why not with non-Scottish club too.

Yes, there are limits; I think that it may be two players from the same club, but I'm not sure if that applies to players from outwith Scotland.

However, we can rest assured that Rangers will have looked into the rules on this and won't fall foul of them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be wrong but can't you sign 5 from other Scottish clubs so long as they are U21?

If this is the case, then it highlights the nonsense of the loan system generally.

As an aside, Chelsea had 51 signed players last year, with 26 of them out on loan. They're hoovering players up that could be signed permanently by other clubs. The system is being abused.

Yes, there are limits; I think that it may be two players from the same club, but I'm not sure if that applies to players from outwith Scotland.

However, we can rest assured that Rangers will have looked into the rules on this and won't fall foul of them.

We have 3 from Falkirk atm, 1 is an emergency and 2 are development loans. Between emergency loans/normal loans and development loans you could get half a squad if you wanted.

Rangers had to borrow £10M last month just to keep the lights on as they could not afford to pay wages. Now this club has signed 5 players on loan when they cannot afford the wages of the players they have. These loan signings could make the difference between them being promoted or not to the disadvantage of clubs such as Ross County, Motherwell and St Mirren. Should these loan signing be cancelled by the SPFL as Rangers are clearly spending what they do not have to gain an unfair advantage (again)?

If one of these Newcastle loanees scored a play-off winner against us I would not be a happy man when my Club is only paying what it can afford. Time for the SFA to introduce strict financial rules to stop this cheating.

Rangers had to borrow £10M last month just to keep the lights on as they could not afford to pay wages. Now this club has signed 5 players on loan when they cannot afford the wages of the players they have. These loan signings could make the difference between them being promoted or not to the disadvantage of clubs such as Ross County, Motherwell and St Mirren. Should these loan signing be cancelled by the SPFL as Rangers are clearly spending what they do not have to gain an unfair advantage (again)?

If one of these Newcastle loanees scored a play-off winner against us I would not be a happy man when my Club is only paying what it can afford. Time for the SFA to introduce strict financial rules to stop this cheating.

Never mind the rights and wrongs, why have you posted something about Newco in the Premiership forum?

Rangers borrowed money from Ashley, yes, they aren't paying any of these players wages though, so I don't see how you've come to the rest of your post.

I'd read things that implied they were paying it (link below). You clearly know the precise details of the arrangements, though, so I'm happy to bow to your knowledge.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/loan-signings-were-not-forced-to-go-to-rangers-1-3679195

The Telegraph article asks the question, but seems to confirm that nobody knows. So I don't really see how you are any more certain than I was. Still, keep up your condescending tone.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/11388286/Mike-Ashley-is-treating-Rangers-like-a-branch-of-Sports-Direct-with-his-knockdown-loan-deals.html

Both Ashley and the club have been cited by the SFA and have a hearing coming up fairly soon.

What exactly do you expect the SFA to do on top of that? They can't stop him buying shares in a company and they can't stop Rangers from making transfers which are within FIFA rules.

I expect the SFA to be able to arrange a hearing on a pretty major issue that comes under their remit in a timely fashion. Do you think that has happened?

Jackie McNamara snr? :lol:

He's not the only person who's suggested it. Besides, I'd suggest even he is more credible than you, a cúnt on the internet.

I can't prove they're paying the players, but you clearly can't prove they aren't. Call it a draw?

It's relevant not because of NewRangers but because it highlights what a farce the loan system has become. It's ridiculous that any club can bring in so many ringers, from the same loaning club, at the same time to help them gain promotion or avoid relegation. The OP's right for the wrong reason. Sporting integrity's taken a massive hit here.

I highly doubt St Mirren were playing close to zero for Goncalves wages, they'll have made a reasonable contribution.

I have no problem with teams filling their players up with loanees within the rules, but the way Ashley is ripping the piss out of the SFA on the dual interest issue is embarrassing, and unsurprisingly they're doing nothing about it.

Correct.

We're not talking about a normal loan here though.

This is the owner of one club gifting players to another club that he effectively owns and who most definitely cannot afford them.

I'd imagine, if nothing else, this kind of dual ownership could be a way of circumventing the Financial Fairplay rules.

Very surprised that even the Scottish football authorities, who are desperate to get New Rangers back in the to the Premiership, are happy to have their noses rubbed right in it.

I'd read things that implied they were paying it (link below). You clearly know the precise details of the arrangements, though, so I'm happy to bow to your knowledge.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/loan-signings-were-not-forced-to-go-to-rangers-1-3679195

The Telegraph article asks the question, but seems to confirm that nobody knows. So I don't really see how you are any more certain than I was. Still, keep up your condescending tone.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/11388286/Mike-Ashley-is-treating-Rangers-like-a-branch-of-Sports-Direct-with-his-knockdown-loan-deals.html

Implied by McNamara senior who seems as capable of following events as you.

I expect the SFA to be able to arrange a hearing on a pretty major issue that comes under their remit in a timely fashion. Do you think that has happened?

They had an agreement with Ashley in terms of how much influence he was allowed without falling foul of their rules, and he only breached that agreement in December when he bought more shares and appointed Llambias. They have to go through due process in terms of gathering evidence etc, and I imagine it's a fairly complex task when you're dealing with a clusterfuck like Rangers.

Maybe if we were talking about the English FA who have much greater resources, then you'd get this sort of thing done a bit quicker, but I don't really think 10 weeks or so is an unreasonable timescale for this sort of complex case.

Don't know if there behaviour constitutes a breach of sporting integrity but in forcing those players to come to Rangers Ashley must surely be in breach of employment legislation? Nothing new for the worst abuser of zero hour contracts in Britain I suppose.

Still though, although these 5 nobodies will probably improve Rangers - how could they fail to - it's not like they've got guys with any sort of pedigree. Hibs et al and the SPL representative still have nothing to fear.

What Rangers and Newcastle have done is to be fair quite shite. But at the end of the day it's within the rules so whilst it maybe calls the integrity of the game into question, it something the SFA and FIFA would need to answer.

I can understand why fans of fellow Premiership relegation/Championship promotion contenders would be angry. I would be too, but no rules have been breached so it is what it is.

If FIFA turned round tomorrow and blocked the transfers and implemented a rule prohibiting mass transfers between two clubs it would have my support. Until then, hopefully these signings will improve the Rangers team. No doubt they will as the current team can't be bothered whilst these signings have a point to prove.

Will it "guarantee" promotion? Of course not.

The relevance of this subject is that SPFL clubs like Ross County, Motherwell and St Mirren may face relegation in a play-off against a team that is effectively cheating by signing players they cannot afford.

St Mirren got relegated from the SPL in 2001 because when they got promoted they could not strengthen the squad as they would not go into debt.

Loan dealings (in moderation) from Clubs that are financially solvent and looking to strengthen their squad are totally acceptable. However this is a club that has already failed to pay staff and suppliers and ended in administration only three years ago and has been cutting back staff over the last few for months and are having to borrow heavily just to stay open. It may be legal (until next month's decision) but it sure isn't sporting integrity. And my argument would be the same if it was a Hearts, Hibs or St Mirren that was doing the same. If you cannot afford what you have you should not be able to bring in more staff.

Don't know if there behaviour constitutes a breach of sporting integrity but in forcing those players to come to Rangers Ashley must surely be in breach of employment legislation?

If my employer decided to send me on secondment then I'd have f**k all say in the matter.

Archived