The Greenock Galacticos v Stirling Albion

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the covers have been used for years. I think they essentially don't particularly work anymore and only serve to damage the grass in the longer term.

I'm sure Mark Farrell said something something these lines a few years ago. If I'm remembering rightly they'd only really be of any use if the frost is at about 0, -1 and it's only on the night before the game.

Incorrect.

The covers are still in use.

Fair enough, just remember something being said about them not being used in the lower temperatures or when the frost is going to cover a longer period of time. I think it was probably around the last time a game was called off and there was the same reaction to the covers not being used.

Can you actually shed some light on their use?

I don't think the covers have been used for years. I think they essentially don't particularly work anymore and only serve to damage the grass in the longer term.

I'm sure Mark Farrell said something something these lines a few years ago. If I'm remembering rightly they'd only really be of any use if the frost is at about 0, -1 and it's only on the night before the game.

Did we not buy Queens relatively modern covers when they put their plastic pitch in?

As I understand the covers thing, they can only protect for the one maybe two nights of sub zero temperatures. They provide insulation aimed at keeping in whatever heat is in the ground but after a couple of nights there is no heat to retain. Likewise, putting them on after the ground is frozen is worse than useless as all it does is trap the frost in the ground in much the way a Thermos flask will keep stuff cold as well as hot. Last week we had 5/6 nights in a row of sub zero temperatures and the shaded bit of the ground under the stand hardly gets any sun at all in the summer, never mind the winter.

As for games being played at Battery Park, I think the poster will find plastic pitches with no shade are quite a lot less affected by frost than Cappielow.

Did we not buy Queens relatively modern covers when they put their plastic pitch in?

As I understand the covers thing, they can only protect for the one maybe two nights of sub zero temperatures. They provide insulation aimed at keeping in whatever heat is in the ground but after a couple of nights there is no heat to retain. Likewise, putting them on after the ground is frozen is worse than useless as all it does is trap the frost in the ground in much the way a Thermos flask will keep stuff cold as well as hot. Last week we had 5/6 nights in a row of sub zero temperatures and the shaded bit of the ground under the stand hardly gets any sun at all in the summer, never mind the winter.

As for games being played at Battery Park, I think the poster will find plastic pitches with no shade are quite a lot less affected by frost than Cappielow.

Yeah, that would make sense.

The covers weren't used because the stand side had been frozen since last Sunday, the forecast was for the temperature to rise meaning a thaw would have saw the game on. Forecasters got it wrong but the covers wouldn't have made a difference . Having said that the pitch was playable as of midday today (Sunday).

Archived