Rate Your Manager's Signings This Season

Stephen was a superb talent when he was introduced to the first team and John must have been a very young teen at the time but the general vibe you got out of the club was Stephen is good but John has shown more potential in all the under age groups and has continued it to the first team.

We managed to lose Stephen for 150k, who knows maybe Dundee will sign John for a pittance too after the way things seem to be going for us. Don't know how much compo we'll be due if he doesn't renew his contract in the summer, he has been at the club since he was 8 I think. Don't know how it gets calculated.

The Telfer to Dundee United deal was calculated using £35k a year for every year he'd been at them since the age of 12.

So it would be £35k x 8, then add on the VAT. So it would be around £285,600 I think, if they use the same principle.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met the McGinns maw the other week on the train as she was going to Aberdeen for the Dundee game to see Paul and she alluded to the fact that John's potential fee will put a few clubs off she thought 250/350k at least.

What a lovely woman she was though the McGinns will have a place in my heart forever.

Kilmarnock seem to have brought in some complete dross, but are in a better position than last year. Is Johnston doing a better job managing the team, or has the pishness of the bottom three let them off the hook?

The first part of the season we were passing the ball, bringing through youngsters and winning games leading to us playing with confidence. Then Miller came in and we booted the ball forward at every attempt. We then began a run of of bad form and scoring a lack of goals. AJ has been helped by the fact we can score penalties and free kicks, along with St Mirren, Ross County and Motherwell being (somehow) worse.

chantler - 3/10 - dwarf with no pace

Westlake - 2/10 - looks like he was plucked from sunday league , also has no pace, but might improve

Two absolutely ludicrous statements.

First of all, I can only assume you've been lucky enough to blank Tesselaar's performances from your memory. Chantler is far more adept than Tess ever was in a Killie shirt, and has been solid all season (bar one or two moments, but what else can you expect at this level?). I don't remember Garry Hay being the tallest or having any more pace than Chantler, but I guess that's okay 'cos he's a Killie fan?

As for Westlake, I'd love to see your rating for Barbour this season... If Westlake "looks like he was plucked from Sunday League" then where in the name of the wee man did we get Barbour? RB is 22 and DW is 23 so there can't be any of the "he's a young player" excuses, because if he is then so is Westlake.

Scott Bain

Looks a great prospect and have been very impressed with him so far. As good a shot stopper as Letheren is Bain's all round game is better. He will no doubt go into bigger and better things and hopefully make us a healthy sum. 9/10

Arvid Schenk

Was doomed after the disaster of New Year's Day. Despite not being at fault for all the goals he quite simply looked like a rabbit in the headlights. It was as if they pulled him off the street. Not his fault though he should never have been signed in the first place. 0/10

Paul McGinn

Had a great start to season but really went off the boil in run up to christmas and was a bit of a liability at times. Hopefully he can recapture his early season form but at moment for me the jury is still out on whether or not he can consistently produce at this level. 5/10

James McPake

After being laughed at for signing him he has proved to be a very shrewd signing. Yes positioning and decision making can let him down at times but the man will run through brick walls for his team. His performance in the league cup derby was unreal he practically had to be carried off the park after picking up an injury early in 2nd half. Thought he would be out for weeks but was right back in on the Saturday. 8/10

Thomas Konrad

Very impressive start and felt him and McPake complimented each other very well. He is very good with ball at feet and picking out a pass. However much like McGinn has gone right of the boil and his stature means he can be bullied at times. Think he can recapture his early season form but still that doubt on how consistent a performer he will be long term. 6/10

Kostadin Gadzhalov

Difficult to judge due to the few games that he has played. His first couple games he looked comfortable on the ball but wasn't really tested. However he was given a bit of a lesson by Scotland on Saturday which was quite worrying. Think he might be just be a bit to similar to Konrad in that he is good on the ball but can be easily bullied. 5/10

Kevin Thomson

Undoubtedly was a very player in his day and in the limited time he has been on the park has looked a class act. However I don't think he will ever be able to be a regular in our team due to him being made of the same stuff as Nicky Riley. For that reason if we could I would get rid of him in the summer as he is obviously our highest earner. As good as he might be we cannot afford to pay for him to sit in the stand. It also looked like he just didn't fancy it on Saturday. 3/10

Simon Ferry

Thought he had a bit of a slow start then in the league cup derby I thought he had a great game and looked like he might kick on from there. Unfortunately that just hasn't happened. Imagine he might be one of our higher earners so depending how he does between now and end of season could be one for the chop in the summer. 3/10

GGH

Great player when he is in the mood and probably our most creative player. Always looking to make something happen and we really miss him when he is not playing as Saturday proved.

Get a lot of undeserved stick from our fans when things don't come off. 8/10

Wee Gowser

Great wee player who makes our midfield tick. Loves a tackle and a moan but he can also play a bit as well. Was noticeable how much we missed him when he had spell on sidelines. Love his apparent angry man syndrome on the park just hope he can screw the nut off it as he can be a very important player for us. Think a few of our fans still underestimate his importance to the team. 9/10

Phil Roberts

Was an obvious risk by Paul Hartley that quite simply has back fired. The boy is clearly talented as the celtic game showed but quite simply he appears to be an utter arsehole. If he had a similar attitude as Boyle to go with his ability he would be idolised by dundee fans. We should get rid ASAP and I would be very surprised if he is still making a living out of the game in a couple of years. 1/10

The Tank

Didn't see him in pre season so was really disappointed with his start to season with the hype surrounding him. However have been really impressed with him in the last month or so. Think he deserves more game time to progress. Don't think he will ever be a prolific goalscorer but if he can keep up his current form think he has more to offer. 6/10

Greg Stewart

What a find he has been. Great player who has the opportunity to go very far. Scores all types of goals and god knows where we would be without him. One of Dundee's best signings in years and hopefully he will be around for another year at least. Only thing his game lacks is pace if he had that he would probably already be playing at a level well above us. 11/10

David Clarkson

When he first signed I thought it was a poor signing as thought we could have strengthened other areas but he very quickly proved everyone wrong when he started banging in the goals and putting in a real shift. However since the goals dried up he has been absolutely terrible and doesn't look interested. He was nothing short of a disgrace on Saturday and to be honest couldn't care less if he never plays for us again. A worthwhile signing for what he done initially but don't see a future for him at the club. 8/10 for his first 10 or so games and 0/10 since.

On the whole his signings have been good with Bain, McGowan and Stewart being exceptional.

However I would like us to start to get away from signing the Kevin Thomson's and Paul Heffernans of this world and concentrate on getting in players who we can see out teams for 3/4 years and consolidate our position in this league.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

No way I could be bothered doing that on an iphone so you have a greenie

Seaborne- 7/10, would probably be an 8 but for his habit of missing matches (St Mirren x 2, Hamilton, Celtic, Dundee Utd) at the last minute thus leaving me mentally unprepared for Muirhead or Balatoni coming in

Frans- 7/10- solid enough, bit slow which you'd expect given the size of him but we're far less likely to get ragdolled by diddy but huge CFs like Calvin Zola with him and Seaborne in the team

Carroll- 2/10- had a couple of decent games but just didn't look like a left-back, yet when he had the ball he didn't look good enough going forward either. Well rid.

Osman- 7.5/10- when he's on form he is very very good and also a panto villain, but been up and down a bit lately.

Eccleston - 4/10- goals to minutes ratio probably isn't too bad, but never really looked as if he was going to be much use.

Richards-Everton, Booth, Finnie, and Taylor not rated.

Lee Miller - Came in to (some) fanfare, and was touted as being our best signing of the summer on paper. Injuries set him back at the start of the season, and he looked to be behind Magennis in terms of a start. He did get his first start in the 3-0 cup defeat at Ibrox, and from then on has struggled. Looks to be absolutely bereft of any confidence, and continually fluffs chances or passes to a teammate instead of having a go himself. A difficult one as he definitely needs more confidence, but we can't afford to give him that much more time when he isn't scoring. 3/10

Tope Obadeyi - The enigma. Has moments when he looks completely unplayable, before reverting to type and tripping over his own feet. When he is playing though he provides a decent outlet in wide areas with his pace and trickery, although his final ball is often lacking. Worked well at the start of the season when asked to come inside and play off Magennis, and you can't argue that he has scored a few goals. A decent squad addition, and should be retained if/when the manager departs. 6/10.

Chris Chantler - Was confirmed as signing on the day of the opening game of the season, and had a solid debut at Dens. Continued to be solid for the remainder of the season, bar on or two lapses of concentration. Quite small so could be vulnerable to balls over the top, but he has decent positioning and that saves him on most occasions. Far and away a better left-back than Tesselaar. 7/10.

Paul Cairney - Looked decent when he was given a chance at Hibs, so most Killie fans were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he was announced as signing. Targeted (a little unfairly given his underactive thyroid condition) for his weight, but just doesn't appear interested at all which would be a far bigger bugbear. Had a few injuries at the start of the season, but was then put into the U20s immediately, where he was outshone by Kiltie, Splaine and Pooler. Has offered nothing whenever he has appeared in stripes and supposedly rejected the chance to leave in January. A nothing player 1/10.

Josh Magennis - Big Josh has been a revelation since joining (sorta). Nowhere near as bad a player as was being made out by St Mirren and Aberdeen fans in the summer, Josh has worked his arse off for the team which is something that can't be said about a lot of the squad. Was excellent as the lone striker in the early parts of the season, using his physicality to create space and lure defenders out of position. Sure, not the best finisher in the world, but deserves a place due to what he brings when utilised correctly. AJ's second best signing. 7.5/10.

Mark Connolly - Saw Mark play in pre-season against Rotherham and Annan and knew then he wasn't the same player that had disgraced Perth a number of years back. Not sure what else can be said that hasn't been already - he's the leader and the solid defender we've been lacking since Monty. Destined to be a Celtic player one day. 9/10.

Euan Smith - Hasn't featured for the first team yet, but was always 'one for the future'. Played very well the one time I saw him for Clyde, and looks decent when playing in the U20's. Think he'll make a few appearances before the end of the season at least. 5/10.

Michael Ngoo - Has provided more talking points than a lot of AJ's signings combined. Whether it be his arrest after 'Smiths-Gate', or Virgin Van Dijk's horror challenge on him (still a mystery as to why he wasn't further punished) he certainly hasn't been a shrinking violet since joining. He's not really had a chance to have a proper run of games, and to his credit he did score against St Johnstone in the cup only for it to be wrongly chalked off. Another in the Tope category of "hard to defend against 'cos even he doesn't know what he'll do next" he's a decent guy to have in reserve. Although I doubt his wages would reflect that standing in the squad. So because of that - 4/10.

Jamie Hamill - Brought in to provide more grit in the midfield, whilst ticking AJ's "Must be able to play (well or not) more than one position" box. When he's been fit he's been, well, Jamie Hamill. Put himself about, won balls, made silly passes and generally looked like a Premiership midfielder. Still only 27 (seriously..) I can see him staying here for the rest of his career, and I wouldn't be too disheartened if he did. If you don't expect too much from Jamie, then he'll always be there and always be 6/10.

Daryll Westlake - Originally signed as right back cover for Ross Barbour, Westlake has become a regular recently after Barbour's poor run of form. Not the best going forward, but his positioning is excellent and he reads the game well. Always looking to cut inside and play the easy pass, which isn't necessarily a bad trait when you're not too blessed with pace. A better player than anyone else we've got in that position, and will likely go on to be a decent Premiership/League 1 in England right-back. 6/10.

Gary Locke - Of course not a player anymore, but Locke looked to have been one of AJ's best acquistions in the summer. Certainly in comparison to who was in his role before... *shudder*. When things started to turn though fingers started being pointed Locke's way and if rumours are to believed he's about as popular in the dressing room as the gaffer. Had a go at certain fans during the meet the manager event, and appears a bit fed up at Killie. Thankfully he isn't likely to take on teh job in the summer because of his closeness with AJ, but is certainly a better assistant than he who shall not be named. 4/10.

Two absolutely ludicrous statements.

First of all, I can only assume you've been lucky enough to blank Tesselaar's performances from your memory. Chantler is far more adept than Tess ever was in a Killie shirt, and has been solid all season (bar one or two moments, but what else can you expect at this level?). I don't remember Garry Hay being the tallest or having any more pace than Chantler, but I guess that's okay 'cos he's a Killie fan?

As for Westlake, I'd love to see your rating for Barbour this season... If Westlake "looks like he was plucked from Sunday League" then where in the name of the wee man did we get Barbour? RB is 22 and DW is 23 so there can't be any of the "he's a young player" excuses, because if he is then so is Westlake.

Totally agree QLP. Westlake and Chantler look a bit rough round the edges but I'd have them in the team before this season's Barbour and any season's Tess.

Westlake has a player in him - don't think our "coaches" are the ones to find it though!

Mark Connolly - Saw Mark play in pre-season against Rotherham and Annan and knew then he wasn't the same player that had disgraced Perth a number of years back. Not sure what else can be said that hasn't been already - he's the leader and the solid defender we've been lacking since Monty. Destined to be a Celtic player one day. 9/10.

I like Connolly as much as the next fella, but Celtic would be lowering their standards if they signed him. He's too slow.

I like Connolly as much as the next fella, but Celtic would be lowering their standards if they signed him. He's too slow.

He's like a younger, quicker Frazer Wright. But you're right he's not the quickest. Cracking player though and would be an addition to just about everyone bar Celtics squad.

He's like a younger, quicker Frazer Wright. But you're right he's not the quickest. Cracking player though and would be an addition to just about everyone bar Celtics squad.

Please stop talking up Connolly! Guaranteed to move soon but I'd like to keep him as long as possible.

McPake, McGowan, Stewart, Bain and Thomson all get pass marks for me. All would walk into a bottom 6 side with Stewart walking into every team bar Aberdeen and Celtic.

Dundee have been blessed with excellent keepers over the years.

McPake, McGowan, Stewart, Bain and Thomson all get pass marks for me. All would walk into a bottom 6 side with Stewart walking into every team bar Aberdeen and Celtic.

Dundee have been blessed with excellent keepers over the years.

No they wouldn't.

Archived