Happy With Your Club's Deadline Business?

Prety delighted to be honest.

Gary McDonald out, Danny Swanson in.

McDonald looked like the most expendable player in the squad, along with maybe 2 or 3 others.

We've been crying out for a bit of pace, energy and creativity and we've now got someone who provides exactly that. We've still got plenty of options in the middle of midfield too.

Now all the manager has to figure out is how to keep O'Halloran, Swanson, Wotherspoon, Croft, McFadden and Lappin all happy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very happy, I was hopeful of a 'keeper, a centre half and a midfielder. We ticked all those boxes & added 2 wingers, a CM and a left back this window. Credit definitely due to the club for going out and getting it done.

It's almost as if your board wants to keep your club in the top flight.

It'll never catch on. <_<

Terrible window for us.

We expected the worst before January in terms of losing key players but when the manager left it came as a bit of a shock.

However, we gradually rebuilt and after Saturday things were looking up. Then the suckerpunch yesterday, two of our highest goal scorers out and no replacement.

Repeated bids turned down for Loy suggest the board knew they had to get him in... and they failed. Here's hoping we can turn up gold in the free market but seems unlikely at this stage.

Very happy.

Don't think any Thistle fan could say that they didn't want Taylor in the summer and the fact that we've got him now is brilliant. Definite upgrade on Eccleston, and glad Archie moved him on. More of a fight for forward places now, which benefitted Doolan massively last season. Despite what others said, I didn't think much of Booth last Friday at all, but giving him the benefit of the doubt to improve on that showing since he'll have had more time with the team and hopefully he'll be a decent signing. Getting Finnie with a view to taking SOD's place next season is also a very smart piece of business.

As for outgoings, was sad to see Muirhead go, but he wasn't good enough at this level and happy to see him go somewhere like Falkirk where he'll have the opportunity to rebuild his career and hopefully get another shot in the top league in a couple of years. Would've hoped Lindsay would've got loaned out to a Championship team, as he clearly looks good enough, but any game time for him should be beneficial and hopefully he'll be ready to fight for a first-team place next season. As I've said, Eccleston has been upgraded and wasn't bothered to see him go

Word on McMillan would've been nice. However, it makes me think he might still have a future at the club, and if he continues the form he showed earlier this season, then I wouldn't take issue with that at all.

Aberdeen with the signing of the window IMO. 300k for McLean is an absolute steal.

Relatively, yes. Doyle to Cardiff for a million quid? Puh-lease.

But by Scottish standards that's a lot of money. Not exactly a steal.

I would say though that if James Collins was worth £200,000 - and Hibs fans thought he was a bargain at first - then McLean is a bargain too. He wasn't though.

Very happy with Aberdeen. Delighted with McLean coming in and we've taken a punt on that young lad from Dortmund. No idea if he's any good but I think we tried to get him in the summer so i'm sure we've been looking at him. Another dandy on here can possible clarify if it ass him we looked at previously or if it was someone else.

Playing with the development squad until the summer so we'll just have to see how he gets on. Has been at Bayern and then Dortmund so there must be some talent there.

Would have liked us to have followed Celtic and made a bid to bring Shinnie in immediately but we can't have it all. That's 3 really positive windows we've had so obviously we're due some disappointment and I think that will be in the form of Ryan Jack departing in the summer. I'd hope that we'd negotiate a good fee for him though. We'd be a bit weak in that holding role with Robson on his very last legs and Flood's passing ability being questionable.

Ambivalent.

We have kept our squad together and added 2 players with a pedigree at this level. Heffernan doesnt have a great pedigree but he has one! Probably the 2 positions we least needed to strengthen but whatever.

Motherwell fans have a cracking rollercoaster coming up with that level of scattergun recruitment - it will go one of two ways......

I think Celtic have done some good business this window. I'm very happy to see Stuart Armstrong come in and it's good that GMS has been tied up too. He's clearly got bags of talent so hopefully he can take advantage of any opportunities he gets. Both players should fit in quite well with the fast, high pressing game Ronny is developing at the club. In recent years we've missed out on the likes of McCarthy and Fletcher so it's good to see the board make a point of bringing in some of Scotland's top prospects (the top one in the case of Armstrong imo).

Pretty good news too that Commons is still at the club. I'd concede that his contribution this season has been little better than average but he has played well recently and at the weekend demonstrated that he could turn nothing into something. If he had went I don't think we've anyone to replace him who has that shooting ability or bit of flair that he brings. I hope the board sign him up, the faith Ronny has shown in him recently suggests he does too.

We got rid of Berget who never impressed and my only slight complaint is that others ought to have joined him. I guess not that many clubs fancy a sick note, heartless winger like Dirk. I presume Tonev and Wakaso are still at the club but if they've gone I can't say I'll be any more gutted than I was when Berget left. Wakaso flattered to deceive at times but he's never taken his chance. Obviously the sooner Balde and Pukki go the better but I guess that won't happen until the end of the season, presuming someone is daft enough to offer them a permanent deal.

Didn't Pukki make a pretty good start at Brondby? I'm pretty sure he was doing OK there, and if we can claw back anything in terms of a fee for him I'd be quite chuffed. Not sure how Balde has done, but again, if we can get anything back for him, it'd be a bonus.

Only ever saw the odd glimpse from Wakaso, and if we can howk him back to his parent club, then we should do so. Tonev should have been sent straight back to Villa after being charged with racism, and Derk is a diving shitebag with glass legs who we paid far too much for. With Mackay-Steven being brought in, it should have been possible to ditch at least one of the loanees.

If we can keep GMS fit, then at least we have another excellent creative outlet, as opposed to just relying on Commons all the time, and if Armstrong actually gets a chance we should have more of an attacking threat (keeping Forrest anywhere near fit would also help us in this regard). I would also be brilliant for the national team if we have them putting in a good performance on a regular basis.

It's a bit shite that we didn't look at signing another centre-back. With Van Dijk likely being off at the end of the season and Denayer only being a loan signing, I'd be shitting myself at the prospect of Ambrose being the most experienced CB we have (I know Lustig and Mulgrew are useful in there, but Lustig is a better right-back, and Mulgrew is better suited to centre mid, imo).

All in all, a good window from an attacking perspective, but the defence will need to be looked at at the end of the season.

Obviously we're all very pleased at signing Taylor, but I'm just as pleased at Archie's ruthlessness at shipping out players that it hasn't worked for. I wouldn't have minded us signing an attacking central midfielder as well, but I won't grumble too much.

If we have all our players fit and available, I would say we have the strongest starting XI in the bottom six.

Very pleased with Taylor in for Eccleston. Doolan is better with real competition for his place.

Would have liked Fyvie in too but we probably could not have afforded him. Ideally, a fully fit Welsh will be like a new addition to the squad.

Lacking a bit of experienced cover at full-back if McMillan does not return from suspension. Finnie and Booth have plenty of incentive to prove themselves and get permanent deals in June.

Not sure if the unproven Ben Richards-Everton (back from Airdrie loan) for Aaron Muirhead is a good swap. Need Frans and Seaborne to stay fit with Balatoni as back-up.

Given the budgetary and practical constraints, happy enough. Did well to keep O'Donnell too.

Decent. Got rid of the lingering presence, brought in a winger who'll add quality and give a real kick up the arse to those under performing in the squad, and it also looks like we're going to announce the PCA of Brad McKay anyday. For all my doom and gloom, we've come out of this pretty well.

Archived