Booth Sacked

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Scott Booth first joined up I was delighted and believed we'd signed up "the new Paul Hartley".

You weren't the only one, think that was the general consensus throughout the lower leagues, he certainly came with high praise from the SFA Development circles and talked a good game.

Will be interesting to see who is appointed next, however there is no doubt that Bomber deserves another shot. Done well before Booth's appointment and even though Alloa were relegated under his reign, there was also improvement there.

If he can improve Stenny between now and the end of the season, then the board shouldn't be looking any further. Maybe the "next Paul Hartley" is right under you nose.

A few questions from an interested outsider (I'm a Jags fan). Why was Booth so unliked? Due to a pish team or was he particularly unpleasant off the field?

Hope Stenny stay up by the way. I always enjoyed going to Ochilview (aside from that time you pumped us 4-0 back in 2000, I think).

Guest Alessandro

"Was he really given enough time?"

He is an incompetent, arrogant, clueless arsehole.

No amount of time would have changed that.

Good riddance.

Bomber has replaced him. In some respects good - he seems a decent guy and has done the job before - in other respects, bad. Is he damaged goods given that he was Booth's right hand man.

McMenamin and Greacan will assist.

The biggest problem of course is that they don't exactly have a great hand to play with.

You weren't the only one, think that was the general consensus throughout the lower leagues, he certainly came with high praise from the SFA Development circles and talked a good game.

Will be interesting to see who is appointed next, however there is no doubt that Bomber deserves another shot. Done well before Booth's appointment and even though Alloa were relegated under his reign, there was also improvement there.

If he can improve Stenny between now and the end of the season, then the board shouldn't be looking any further. Maybe the "next Paul Hartley" is right under you nose.

Bomber and Scott Walker were put in charge of Alloa after Maitland guided them to the relegation places he can't really be held culpable for the fact they went down.

Bomber and Scott Walker were put in charge of Alloa after Maitland guided them to the relegation places he can't really be held culpable for the fact they went down.

Scott Walker can be though.

Indeed. They were only in charge for the play-offs and actually got much improved performances from the team in the two games against Annan. Having been abysmal for weeks we put in a decent performance at Annan and were unlucky to lose 2-1. We would still have won the tie had Jim Lister not missed some great chances in the return leg at Alloa. Still not convinced by the decision to play Mikey McGowan RB in that game mind you but it was certainly a bold call :)

I spoke to Bomber for the Alloa programme a couple of years back and he was very clear then that he wanted to have a go at management when he was finished playing. He was a great lower league player, an articulate guy and seems to be very well liked in the game. His day job experience with top class athletes would also be an asset I'd imagine. If circumstances are right it wouldn't be a surprise if Scott Walker joins up with him again. All the best to Bomber, I hope he makes a real success of it.

For what it's worth, here is a clip of what he had to say back in 2012;

“I think coaching and management is going to be my only real opportunity to be involved at a high, high level. I believe you can only do it when you stop playing, so I’ll concentrate on playing and build up as much knowledge as I can, and hopefully when I hang up the boots, an opportunity will arise, and I can take it with both hands”.

Another excellent read Francesc Fabregas, well done. Must have been a difficult article to write as it's so easy to start rambling on or becoming too emotional that it becomes a bore, but I personally think you pulled it off and it was a cracking read. As I said, well done!!

Now that Booth has gone, will Stenny now revert back to 2 training sessions a week?? The "3 sessions plus a game" initiative always seemed to me as being perfect in an ideal world but far to much in the real world of work, families and shifts, so I'm not surprised to read that it was badly received by the squad, especially when they were getting rag dolled for most of them. No doubt, the fact that a player was having to give up 4 days out of 7 to play for the club would probably have put 1 or 2 off from signing as well.

Stenny reverted back to training twice a week in the New Year, without explanation. Not sure if it was because Scott Booth realised it wasn't working or there was pressure from the board because they needed to hire out the pitch, but it seems far more appropriate for the players anyway. Who'd want to work for four out of seven days a week when you can work for three elsewhere and get the same money. It definitely put players off joining the club or signing on.

Booth did have some good ideas and you can't fault his ambition but he just had no idea how to fit them into a part-time framework. Chuck in the dire coaching sessions and his bad man-management and you've got a recipe for disaster, as we've found out.

Archived