Sign in to follow this  
Tynierose

Nicky Walker suspension (SJFA)

The onus is always on the club to make sure their players are eligible to play.

It mentions that on the ERSJFA website. I believe that the East Region passed a decision to allow League/Local Cup matches to be played when matches are postponed and re-arrange fixtures where grounds are playable. If true surely the SJFA are aware of it and make an alteration to the disciplinary laws. Say a United player had received a Red card on Saturday would he have been banned for the Hurlford match? So when is match not a match? When Tom Johnstone makes an executive decision and introduces a rule that is not in the disciplinary procedures nor passed by an AGM/EGM.

Perhaps United shouldn't have asked for clarification and played Nicky when this match is eventually played. No doubt there would have been a protest - maybe not by Hurlford - but certainly by TJ, highlighting again the high level of incompetence shown by the SJFA.

Edited by boheesian

So will Walker be on the bench if the game goes ahead on Saturday as you won't want to change a winning team.? Lol hope you all have your toys back in the pram by then too lol!!

People are saying Bo'ness "should have asked" for clarification; or not played; "Tom Johnston will dig his heels in"; talking of precedents, principles; etc...

... surely that's all irrelevant - either there's a rule saying the suspension carried-over, or there isn't?

Presumably it'd say something like this:

"where a suspension is applied to a player, and all or part is due to be served against a tie in the Scottish Junior Cup; but that tie is postponed, cancelled or delayed; then the player shall remain suspended for the tie, whenever it is played, and shall be eligible to play in any other matches arranged in the interim".

I've looked on SJFA website rulebooks and can't find such a rule, but it may well be there/exist. But surely that's all the discussion revolves around?

Just stumbled across this thread. No idea if this is relevant but just to throw it in there.

In the senior Scottish Cup, if a player is not available on the original date scheduled for a tie then he can't play in it when it's rearranged if it was off the first time. So for instance if our game against St Johnstone is postponed on Saturday and we bring in a loan player on Monday he can't then play in the rearranged game on the Tuesday and can't play in any replay either.

I wonder if the issue here is that Walker, as a result of the abandoned game, was therefore unavailable on the original date of the cup tie and was due to serve a suspension for it. The cup tie was off and he has since served his suspension in an alternative game but as he was unavailable on the original date of the tie he remains so when it is rearranged even though he's not actually suspended for it? It's a technicality but it makes sense.

Just stumbled across this thread. No idea if this is relevant but just to throw it in there.

In the senior Scottish Cup, if a player is not available on the original date scheduled for a tie then he can't play in it when it's rearranged if it was off the first time. So for instance if our game against St Johnstone is postponed on Saturday and we bring in a loan player on Monday he can't then play in the rearranged game on the Tuesday and can't play in any replay either.

I wonder if the issue here is that Walker, as a result of the abandoned game, was therefore unavailable on the original date of the cup tie and was due to serve a suspension for it. The cup tie was off and he has since served his suspension in an alternative game but as he was unavailable on the original date of the tie he remains so when it is rearranged even though he's not actually suspended for it? It's a technicality but it makes sense.

Good explanation. I am assuming this is in the actual rule book for the SFA Scottish Cup? If so, fine, then it would be applicable. However, a number of people have searched the SJFA rule book and have up until now unearthed nothing that fits this current scenario. Or is Mr Johnstone going to just say that's what the SFA do and that's the end of it. IMO no rule in situ Nicky is available.

Edited by boheesian

Good explanation. I am assuming this is in the actual rule book for the SFA Scottish Cup? If so, fine, then it would be applicable. However, a number of people have searched the SJFA rule book and have up until now unearthed nothing that fits this current scenario. Or is Mr Johnstone going to just say that's what the SFA do and that's the end of it. IMO no rule in situ Nicky is available.

I've now looked it up in the SFA Scottish Cup Rules. Actually it specifically excludes the effects of Disciplinary procedures:

15. Eligibility of Players

(a) A goalkeeper, who is not qualified by registration under the terms of Rule 16(a), but is registered in compliance with Rule 17 may not, for any reason whatsoever, play in any other position.

(b) When a match which is postponed, drawn, or abandoned, is played or replayed, only those players who were eligible by means of their registration, pursuant to the Registration Procedures, at the date fixed for originally playing the Round, may play. For the avoidance of doubt the operation of the Disciplinary Procedures has no impact on the application of this rule.

© All players in the Competition must be eligible to play in the relevant match having regard in particular (but without prejudice to the generality) to the Registration Procedures and the Disciplinary Procedures.

So what that basically says is that if you are not registered on the round date you can't play in the round even if you actually register before the game ends up being played BUT if you were unavailable due to disciplinary procedures at the round date but available by the time it's played you would be able to play.

So actually my suggestion wouldn't apply to the senior cup as it specifically excludes that. I don't know anything about what the Junior Cup rules say. It was just a suggestion.

All this debate and there was an obvious solution that I don't think has been mentioned

WHY COULDNT HE NOT SERVE HIS SUSPENSION V BROXBURN WHEN IT GETS REPLAYED !!!!!????????

All this debate and there was an obvious solution that I don't think has been mentioned

WHY COULDNT HE NOT SERVE HIS SUSPENSION V BROXBURN WHEN IT GETS REPLAYED !!!!!

Too much common sense 4everblue. Not enough ramifications to allow the SJFA to get involved

This may have been mentioned above but another oddity exists in this supposed scenario (which still no-one actually seems to have found in the SJFA rule-book). It's said that the Carnoustie game on Saturday doesn't count for extinguishing the second part of Walker's suspension, and/or he was suspended for it AND remains suspended until they play Hurlford.

If it's the former - it doesn't count - then would anyone sentoff against Carnoustie be able to play v Hurlford?

I've now looked it up in the SFA Scottish Cup Rules. Actually it specifically excludes the effects of Disciplinary procedures:

So what that basically says is that if you are not registered on the round date you can't play in the round even if you actually register before the game ends up being played BUT if you were unavailable due to disciplinary procedures at the round date but available by the time it's played you would be able to play.

Which seems fair enough, tbh. Most suspensions will be cup specific in which case it doesn't matter when the tie is played and what other games in other competitions are played around it. And there's no reason why an 'all-competitions' suspension - e.g. for violent conduct - should be glued to a cup-tie which it happens to have fallen on then been postponed/cancelled. Although the suggestion is that's what happens in the Junior Cup.

Edited by HibeeJibee

This again would depend on the sending off as not all sending off's merit a ban. As two yellow cards in a game = a red but the player may not be over the points total and therefore doesn't incur a ban but I do see where you are coming from.

Ah yes, the Junior system of some only meriting a fine (IIRC) :huh:?

For simplicity, lets say sentoff v Carnoustie for whatever Walker was sentoff for v Penicuik. Or any scenario in which a ban could be incurred which would, in normal circumstances, be served against the next game - even if a Junior Cup tie.

Would he be suspended, in the way Walker was originally - sentoff in league, and next game happens to be a Junior Cup tie?

Or would be not be suspended, on same grounds allegedly causing Walker to miss Hurlford - sentoff in league game before a postponed Junior Cup tie which therefore "doesn't count"?

Edited by HibeeJibee

Can I be the first to point out that if he is not allowed to play on Saturday I'm going to laugh my cock off at the level of seethe Tynie will demonstrate. Just wanted to be clear that such an outcome would definitely have its upside. God help BUjustice right enough. :)

Can I be the first to point out that if he is not allowed to play on Saturday I'm going to laugh my cock off at the level of seethe Tynie will demonstrate. Just wanted to be clear that such an outcome would definitely have its upside. God help BUjustice right enough. :)

Believe me, it won't be in the same league as if we get to Old Trafford in September and the cricket is rained off. Now remember the first round is on you my deep pocketed chum.

I think BUjustice is now in a locked ward somewhere.

Believe me, it won't be in the same league as if we get to Old Trafford in September and the cricket is rained off. Now remember the first round is on you my deep pocketed chum.

Sunshine in Manchester in September Ha fecking Ha. You better hope he's got deep pockets and full of notes (not IOU's) as you'll spend all day in the pub. Now Trent Bridge for 5 days is for the cultured gentlemen and altogether a better experience. Spread your wings.

Apologies for changing tack.

Edited by boheesian

First round ??? first 5 rounds are all on him, in fact is he not treating us as his wife is paying for his Birthday ??

Sunshine in Manchester in September Ha fecking Ha. You better hope he's got deep pockets and full of notes (not IOU's) as you'll spend all day in the pub. Now Trent Bridge for 5 days is for the cultured gentlemen and altogether a better experience. Spread your wings.

Apologies for changing tack.

The big question is, will Nicky Walker still be suspended come September ! I would say yes.....

First round ??? first 5 rounds are all on him, in fact is he not treating us as his wife is paying for his Birthday ??

I like the cut of your jib. Didn't he say he was paying for the hotel too?

Did Bo'ness know the position ahead of the game?

Can someone please answer this question.

Boness were informed on Saturday morning that Nicky Walker would not be allowed to play in the Carnoustie game due to suspension. They were also informed that Nicky Walker would be suspended for the Scottish Cup game next week.

Boness were informed on Saturday morning that Nicky Walker would not be allowed to play in the Carnoustie game due to suspension. They were also informed that Nicky Walker would be suspended for the Scottish Cup game next week.

So in short a two game ban means he is banned from 3 games ?...... WTF !!!

So in short a two game ban means he is banned from 3 games ?...... WTF !!!

By implication: lets say the Hurlford tie is off again and Bo'ness arrange another league game.

He's suspended for that, like Carnoustie, and still Hurlford too? = 4?