Summer football

Krfc 10

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what the average age of those against summer football is?

Attendances are already falling.

The Irish league saw attendances go up when they switched to summer football and as already pointed out, players go away all through the season and the Sep/Oct months are popular for holidays too, so there may not be as much impact in this respect as some would believe.

Summer football for me but I can't see it happening until a large part of the junior fraternity step out of the dark ages!

it is certainly no myth Camelon Juniors had to play 15 league games plus cup ties in a period of 5 weeks last season and this happens elsewhere it is a total farce

Read what I said. I know Camelon suffered last season. In part because if dreadful drainage which they have now rectified from what I could see when we went there and in part because of one single club - Girvan. That does not mean there was a massive issue with timing for football clubs in the way you suggest. The vast, vast majority complete their seasons comfortably within the window available.

We get this summer football junk every year when there are 2 or 3 weeks of cold or wet weather. It's a complete overreaction to a problem which for the most part simply doesn't exist. When individual clubs start impacting lots of others then they should be told to get on with their games at alternative venues in the way that Kelty ended up volunteering to do a couple of seasons back.

Summer football is completely unnecessary and would be a disaster for the juniors.

The Irish league saw attendances go up when they switched to summer football

Summer football for me but I can't see it happening until a large part of the junior fraternity step out of the dark ages!

Irish football attendances did not stay up though. HJ debunks that every year when this comes up. And age profile is irrelevant - common sense would tell you older guys would prefer warmer weather. But they don't - so instead they are labelled as dinosaurs.

Winter football isn't the reason for declining attendances. Wider interests are. And that trend would be much, much worse in summer.

Found this youtube clip on summer football a few days back made by a Napier University journalism student

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1SvwYUjJ1w

What's interesting about it, is the impressive list of interviews he was able to arrange and the extent to which some of them are more unguarded in their comments than they normally would be. There seems to be more support for summer football (mistakenly, in my opinion, because a short winter break would be the better way to go) in the corridors of power than I would ever have thought there would be.

Well I'm only 28 and Im against summer football. Go on about winter months there was 27th December very few teams played but Camelon played Linlithgow Rose and on the 3rd Camelon went to Bo'ness winter months but we managed to get games on. I think only playing 1 midweek game at the start of the season is criminal when you could easily play 3 and even start the super league on the saturday before rather than the Wednesday. For the Teams finishing early I've always been an advocate of having a Consolation Cup that teams can enter.

Of course there's been a decline in Junior attendances, but by and large it's proportionate to the decline in football attendances across the board. We're living in a time when there are more alternative ways for people to spend their free time than probably any point in history.

Summer football sounds good when you talk about it in the depths of winter, but I suspect any upturn in crowds would be minimal and temporary - the majority of people who don't go to games would find another excuse not to go other than the weather. Bottom line is a lot of so-called football fans haven't been inside a ground in years, and get their fix sitting on their arse watching scrolling results on a Saturday afternoon rather than watching a game on their doorstep. Speaking for my own team, it's frustrating having about 100 on a good day through the gate when every pub up and down Maryhill Road is stowed with punters with more interest in how Hull are doing against Stoke than us - or indeed in Thistle a mile down the road.

A couple of points which I raised in one of the previous threads on the same subject which I don't think anyone's mentioned yet on this one - first, good luck pulling punters through the doors on alternate years when either the World Cup or European Championship is on over the summer, and more importantly, we already have a winter break in de facto terms, with the bonus that most weeks there still will be games on somewhere. Yesterday, it was a no-brainer that our game was off, so I headed down the coast to see Whitletts v Saltcoats. At the moment, there will be a game on somewhere 48 weeks of the year, whereas with a summer season there would be 12 weeks with nothing on guaranteed...

Read what I said. I know Camelon suffered last season. In part because if dreadful drainage which they have now rectified from what I could see when we went there and in part because of one single club - Girvan. That does not mean there was a massive issue with timing for football clubs in the way you suggest. The vast, vast majority complete their seasons comfortably within the window available.

We get this summer football junk every year when there are 2 or 3 weeks of cold or wet weather. It's a complete overreaction to a problem which for the most part simply doesn't exist. When individual clubs start impacting lots of others then they should be told to get on with their games at alternative venues in the way that Kelty ended up volunteering to do a couple of seasons back.

Summer football is completely unnecessary and would be a disaster for the juniors.

"Complete their seasons comfortably" "Summer football completely unnecessary" "Complete overreactionto a problem which for the most part simply doesn't exist" My goad HTG what a COMPLETE load of rubbish.

Hurlford last season my mate tells me had only played half their league fixtures when Petershill were finished. That surely defeated any chance they had of doing the double by fair competition in the league. You are COMPLETELY wrong HTG

Summer football wouldnt change that be games off march like there is just now. Then games off at end of season what do u do

By virtue of the fact that re-arranged matches have the benefit of mid-week to cope with any postponements solves any games off in March..

Next we will have the usual case of "It snows in May" Grabbing at straws methinks.

Attendances are already falling.

Are you talking about Scottish football overall or the Juniors? If the former - that's simply incorrect.

The Irish league saw attendances go up when they switched to summer football

That's simply incorrect - they fell for 3 seasons running, rose slightly for 3 seasons without recovering to the original level, then have fallen for 5 seasons running... Their clubs voted 12-9 to ask the FAI to change back (tbf they refused).

EDIT: Also my understanding is the equivalent of non-league/Junior football is Eire stayed-put, e.g. the Munster League, North Tipperary League, Waterford League, Limerick JL, Clare JL, Kerry JL, etc. all seem to operate August-May.

Archived