Summer football

Krfc 10

KR10, Have given any thought to the fact that Its always been this way, no point in changing now. What about hard pitches in the summer, some folk will have the bowling. Why run the risk of having games played every week when it's more exciting to play one game in two months in the winter and three a week in May. Have you even considered the health risks of playing or watching in the summer sun, less risk associated with playing in a storm when it's dark at quarter past three and your struggling to see the far end of the pitch. You may like to know what you're doing on a Saturday but many people on here enjoy waiting till half tenish each Saturday to find out if there game will be on or not, I could go on but can I suggest you put a bit more thought into it posting nonsense like this.

Oh the sarcasm...

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really ? I must have imagined us playing 15 games in 6 weeks at the end of last season after going over 3 months without a league game.

I said more myth than truth and that the vast majority coped absolutely fine. Camelon were also affected last season. It's also the case that clubs who suffer from poor drainage tend to play more at the end of the season. Anyway, this was discussed in 1960 and rejected out of hand. There's a reason for that - the clubs are perfectly content playing football through the winter and they're quite right.

It's also the case that clubs who suffer from poor drainage tend to play more at the end of the season.

Poor come back, as our backlog was caused by our away Scottish Junior Cup tie v Girvan taking 9 weeks to be settled and then getting a run of local cup fixtures after that.

What's your problem?

What's your problem?

Krfc, He is simply a lover of the absolute chaos the junior game gets into year after year at this time.

See you sergeant furious (Salvation Army I presume?) Go away, would you just go away.

Poor come back, as our backlog was caused by our away Scottish Junior Cup tie v Girvan taking 9 weeks to be settled and then getting a run of local cup fixtures after that.

I don't think it's a poor comeback at all. As a rule it's true. What was the problem with Girvan?

You would have players going away on holiday during the season a lot more and what about pre season how you gonna manage that in January and February with the weather

Just how do you think they cope at present with the season in full flow ? They have managed the change in Ireland, and have no intention of going back into the bedlam we have to live with in Scotland.

This topic has been done to death in the past.

It sounds nice as a soundbyte but it doesn't work in practice, and (to quote the poster Kennie) the clubs have debated it and rejected it. Also we barely saw a thread about it on P&B last season, and haven't seen one until the last day in January this season. Why is that? It's as fewer games have been lost.

That's just not the case. The vast majority of teams completed last season with no difficulty whatsoever and some had real issues about an early finish. This Saturday, Monday, Wednesday stuff is more myth than truth.

Good point. There were actually calls for an East Region Consolation Cup, many clubs finished so early.

And even if backlogs were a problem, there are much simpler and less difficult solutions, e.g.:

* starting a touch earlier;

* adjusting or scrapping sectional cups;

* playing floodlight midweeks in March and early April;

* abolishing September holiday weekends;

and so on.

Issues like Rutherglen-Girvan are arguments against scheduling Junior Cup-ties for mid-winter.

Something needs to happen as the status quo isn't any good ...

We had first game today in weeks at a very very windy Girvan.

Product was poor as conditions impossible almost .. The paying public deserve better.

Summer football is a must in my opinion ..

How many times is this discussion going to happen on this forum....

New people are joining and reading this forum all the time. No big deal in it being discussed again by those who want to. You or anyone can just avoid it totally if it really bothers you that much.

Something needs to happen as the status quo isn't any good ...

We had first game today in weeks at a very very windy Girvan.

Product was poor as conditions impossible almost .. The paying public deserve better.

Summer football is a must in my opinion ..

since when did the paying pub lic matter? LOL

They couldn't get their home pitch playable because the match was scheduled for mid-winter.

But nearly everyone else could - including those in the same area. So ... specifically ... what made Girvan different?

But nearly everyone else could - including those in the same area. So ... specifically ... what made Girvan different?

Part of the problem was presumably the fact it was the same match being tried for weeks on end, due to the Junior Cup scheduling.

If both clubs had a mixture of league games, at home and away to different teams, unlikely they'd have gone so long without playing. Like most others.

Having watched Womans football its bloody baltic for pre-season games and even march can be a bad month for weather games get called off for waterlogged pitches and has been said when do you play the postponed games because you will be in to November for nowhere to go. You would probably have to play saturday monday wednesday to risk not having a problem at the end of the season

Plus of course the women have a large % of 3G pitches, partly due to unavailability of grass pitches due to closure or maintenance - and use a short season: fewer games are required to win the womens treble (29) than the East Superleague alone (30).

And, also as you say, any games postponed after late August can't be caught-up midweek, unless under floodlight.

I totally understand all the problems and issues that mean it can't/won't happen, and I agree with a lot of them.

But I have to say, I took my five year old to Musselburgh vs Bonnyrigg today and it was f*cking Baltic. Utterly shite conditions to watch or play football. And my son wasn't impressed lol.

I think the Juniors, who more or less govern themselves, would be ideally placed to have an alternative to the current format. And I believe it could be successful if done properly.

Never happen though.

That's just not the case. The vast majority of teams completed last season with no difficulty whatsoever and some had real issues about an early finish. This Saturday, Monday, Wednesday stuff is more myth than truth.

it is certainly no myth Camelon Juniors had to play 15 league games plus cup ties in a period of 5 weeks last season and this happens elsewhere it is a total farce

Archived