Summer football

Krfc 10

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And while you're at it can you tell me what his roles were at Ayr,Cowdenbeath,Gretna and St Mirren? After that could you tell me the last time 60 odd games were called off in Aug.because of waterlogged pitches?

So can you guarantee that games couldn't be called off in August ? Remember we were due to play ladeside then at home and a monsoon made sure the pitch wasn't playable amongst others.

Can you tell me when we are guaranteed summer weather in Scotland for sure 100%??

And who cares what his roles were at them senior teams as I'm a junior fan only so I will judge him on that only where his record is abysmal . :)

So can you guarantee that games couldn't be called off in August ? Remember we were due to play ladeside then at home and a monsoon made sure the pitch wasn't playable amongst others.

Can you tell me when we are guaranteed summer weather in Scotland for sure 100%??

And who cares what his roles were at them senior teams as I'm a junior fan only so I will judge him on that only where his record is abysmal . :)

Don't be stupid Hertha, of course no one could guarantee that any day of the year could produce unplayable conditions. Yet would you Hertha claim, that the period May to September, is on an equal postponement level with November to February? Give us an answer to that instead of shoving in 'red herrings' to bolster a case you simply do not have.

Don't be stupid Hertha, of course no one could guarantee that any day of the year could produce unplayable conditions. Yet would you Hertha claim, that the period May to September, is on an equal postponement level with November to February? Give us an answer to that instead of shoving in 'red herrings' to bolster a case you simply do not have.

Never said it was at anytime but all I'm asking is when is it guaranteed to be decent summer weather in Scotland which has one of the worst and most unpredictable climates in the world ?

Maybe you should tell me when this summer football and great weather will happen and I will cancel my annual summer holiday abroad ,

And when do our parks have the vital time to recover if we play football through the summer as this is when we fertilise them to maximise growth if things stand.

People have this romantic notion of summer football being the perfect cure but that's a bit like saying that these " all weather " pitches are the perfect cure when in reality two of my clubs recent friendly games against East Kilbride thistle and maybole have been postponed even on " all weather " surfaces ,

Wouldn't it be more sensible to try and avoid Scottish cup fixtures being scheduled in the most severe frosty months which are predominately November / December and January .

The Scottish cup games that are postponed continually create so many knock on problems to our league fixtures with constant postponements in these months and maybe the Scottish cup could be started earlier to avoid being played in these months which would in turn give league games a far better chance of being fulfilled.

I dont think you need to necessarily change to much to have summer football.

Just alter the season to run from start of August to say mid December, then have a month and a half break and run from start of Feb through to end of June, which gives all of July off and the christmas period and January off. That way players can get a rest in the summer and winter, and the club could if they wanted plan "glamour" friendlies over the christmas period to boost there coffers

I would start with the local sectional league cups as normal, then get a good amount of league games into the first half with maybe 3 rounds max of the junior Cup.

Have the rest of the cup games in the 2nd half with the remaining league games.

However the introduction of a proper fixture list (which obviosuly can change during the season if required) and playing games under floodlights would also go a huge way to tackling the problems.

Obviously a winter break is more workable than summer football (which IMO is actually unworkable) but of course the problem with a winter break is knowing when to take it. In your example, you are stopping for about 6 weeks from mid-December to the start of February.

What if those are mild weeks then February is bad? Or if the autumn is wet, or early December is bad? (In that instance I suppose you could rearrange games in the break but then you no longer have a break).

And if clubs are playing friendlies during the break they could be playing 'proper' matches.

" wife and kids im sorry but your school summer holidays abroad are cancelled as daddy has to play junior fitba ". :huh: :huh:

As several other people have noted, teams miss players all the time as it is for holidays (which people often avoid taking in the summer as its cheaper to avoid school holidays) and other commitments.

If this is a significant problem I would suggest that clubs could have a couple of "wildcards" they could use to have games rescheduled if they were missing high numbers of players on specific dates. These would have to be requested say 1 month in advance to allow the fixtures to be re-scheduled for an appropriate midweek. 1 month should be plenty of notice for clubs to revise any catering / transport arrangements, and players should know about any holidays, weddings etc at least that far in advance.

It wouldn't. And I watched a game at Rob Roy at the start of last season where the ball was exploding off the surface which was as hard as rock and slightly cratered - this is after several weeks of rest for the playing surface. Ironically we were scheduled to play them at Prestonfield but our pitch was in even worse nick. The game was horrendous because players needed a second touch all the time. It was warm for the punters, I'll give you that. It was also shite to watch good players being made a c**t of.

Thought for Today #1: Integration with the Rest of Football

Juniors using 'summer' football would apparently mean a season ending in November. (Not a great time of year for league climax and the Junior Cup Final, btw). So clubs qualifying for the Scottish Cup would be waiting 9 months until they could enter?

Regan was recently quoted saying the SFA are thinking about returning the Scottish Cup to its old schedule. If so, anyone reaching R4 (e.g.: Rose, Meadow, Talbot) would have to play for 2 years without a break?

Senior and Amateur football don't have a 'summer' season. So clubs joining the Juniors, or moving up or down within a pyramid system, would have to mothball their club, or play in 2 leagues at the same time, to transition from Mar-Nov to Aug-May or vice versa?

And what about Jul/Aug 'glamour friendlies'? Who to play in pre-season in Jan/Feb? Main transfer periods? etc.

Don't know about any other clubs but our pitch is out of commission every summer for at least 4 weeks while the groundsman does vital work

When would this work get done if the club played on it all summer?

LADESIDE

We are the exact same and this is the fact that nobody can answer .

What quality of surface would you have if winter time was the downtime period for fertilising a pitch and trying to gain growth ?

Roll the pitch... that's how you stop it getting bumpy in the height of summer.The problem is because pitches can't get rolled in wet weather by the time it dries out and after having been cut up the lumps and bumps go hard...that is why pitches are bumpy at end of season.Pitches are always in better nick start of the season when they can be rolled following a game.

Water and roll the pitch and along with the fact that the grass is growing any decent groundsman will give you a playable surface.

It wouldn't. And I watched a game at Rob Roy at the start of last season where the ball was exploding off the surface which was as hard as rock and slightly cratered - this is after several weeks of rest for the playing surface. Ironically we were scheduled to play them at Prestonfield but our pitch was in even worse nick. The game was horrendous because players needed a second touch all the time. It was warm for the punters, I'll give you that. It was also shite to watch good players being made a c**t of.
however do they manage in Brazil?

Scandinavia and Russia dont play in the winter and maybe there winter is extreme but not far away from ours. Even Germany close down for a winter break. Madness at every level of the game to be playing /watching games in those conditions. Close down from mid december to mid february.

You can use June and July too play instead.

Archived