Airdrieonians Vs Brechin City

It's fucking boring though. The same shit gets dragged up every few threads. Thing is, we've got to pay it every week - you think we like it? We pay it because we want to go and see our team so I'm firmly in the "don't like it, don't pay it" camp. I'm not particularly bothered if three or four punters from Brechin don't turn up because of the price. It's hardly going to effect the "atmosphere".

The rent is what it is, it's not going to change just because one more punter from another small club tells us something we already know.

Of course we don't like paying it, that's exactly the point! Neither do the hundreds of (ex) Airdrie fans who have found something better to do on a Saturday afternoon because of it...

And it's not about the atmosphere, you might think only a few people not turning up on a given day doesn't matter, but spread that pattern out over the last 5 years and you'll see our attendances have dropped by around 30%. If that continues it's not sustainable.

I don't claim to have a solution, like I said it's an impossible situation, we're stuck with a huge stadium that we can't afford but have no real alternative. But just telling people to not bother coming if they don't like it has got us where we are now, perhaps trying to explain to fans why it's that price and provide some incentive/encouragement to come and watch might be a slightly more constructive way of dealing with it until we find a proper solution.

Apparently Jamie Bain still doesn't do tap - ins.

Draw was a fair result IMO. Really needed to win though if we were to have any hope of reaching the play - offs which doesn't look likely now.

Quality of football wasn't great but thought it was an entertaining game, especially the last twenty minutes or so after we scored. Shame we didn't play like that for the whole game. Some save by Brechin's goalie at the end from Gasparotto's header.

Liam Lindsay was ill, hence why he wasn't included in the team and I hope the rumour's aren't true about Parker going to Clyde :(

It was hardly a feast of football today, and failure to win probably means the end of our already pretty slim play-off hopes. Probably. Still, it looks highly unlikely that we'll be seriously involved at the lower end of the table either, so maybe we'll be able to plan ahead for next season a bit on the basis of staying in League One.

Neither team created huge amounts of clear-cut chances - Airdrie maybe had a few more (Luca's header and Boyle's dance through the box at the end spring to mind), but Brechin dominated midfield and pressed us very well, certainly in the first half, so a draw is probably about the right result.

Trouten was lucky to stay on the park - and also lucky that Airdrie don't really have a Paul Lovering-type player these days, or he might have come off the worse for his needling and general nyaffness.

Also, yes - the prices are far too high, especially for this level. Still, I'm sure the Brechin fans would agree that Bain's goal was worth the price all on its own ;)

Of course we don't like paying it, that's exactly the point! Neither do the hundreds of (ex) Airdrie fans who have found something better to do on a Saturday afternoon because of it...

And it's not about the atmosphere, you might think only a few people not turning up on a given day doesn't matter, but spread that pattern out over the last 5 years and you'll see our attendances have dropped by around 30%. If that continues it's not sustainable.

I don't claim to have a solution, like I said it's an impossible situation, we're stuck with a huge stadium that we can't afford but have no real alternative. But just telling people to not bother coming if they don't like it has got us where we are now, perhaps trying to explain to fans why it's that price and provide some incentive/encouragement to come and watch might be a slightly more constructive way of dealing with it until we find a proper solution.

So you can criticize the price, but have no solutions as to how it can be reduced?

If you look around Scottish football, plenty teams have vastly reduced crows since the "credit crunch" kicked in. The biggest teams in the land have vastly reduced gates.

The Airdrie Trust have done some really admirable work to bring the crowds through the gates, but guess what? Nobody is interested.

If you honestly, genuinely, think that by dropping the price by a couple of quid, we're suddenly going to see multitudes of stay away fans flocking through the turnstyles, then you are utterly deluded.

The only thing that will turn around our lamentable crowds is a winning team on the park. Sadly, the board we have in place are not in the position to invest the sums required to have a side capable of challenging, therefore we've found our level.

A pretty crap game not helped by the crap conditions. Gusty Arctic winds and plastic grass obviously don't mix.

That said , it took a world class goal to beat Smith and a draw was just about right.

A real beast of a 2 footed lunge from the number 3 as tempers were starting to rise in a niggly second half might have seen red from most refs but yesterday the ref seemed content to let the match flow. Although I was a wee bit perplexed that Storie picked up a booking for his first challenge which was quite innoccuous after what had gone before.

Fairly happy to keep the run going though , even though Richard Gordon on Sportsound seemed to think that Peterhead had somehow picked up 6 points to knock us off 4th spot ! 8)

A pretty crap game not helped by the crap conditions. Gusty Arctic winds and plastic grass obviously don't mix.

That said , it took a world class goal to beat Smith and a draw was just about right.

A real beast of a 2 footed lunge from the number 3 as tempers were starting to rise in a niggly second half might have seen red from most refs but yesterday the ref seemed content to let the match flow. Although I was a wee bit perplexed that Storie picked up a booking for his first challenge which was quite innoccuous after what had gone before.

Fairly happy to keep the run going though , even though Richard Gordon on Sportsound seemed to think that Peterhead had somehow picked up 6 points to knock us off 4th spot ! 8)

You seem to have missed, or chosen to ignore, the numerous occasions that the cowardly little b*****d Trouten chose to throw an elbow at opponents heads without any sanctions from the ref.

You seem to have missed, or chosen to ignore, the numerous occasions that the cowardly little b*****d Trouten chose to throw an elbow at opponents heads without any sanctions from the ref.

If you mean the number of times that cheating b*****d Gillfillan tried to con the ref , I was trying not to mention it in case it offended you poor souls again !

It wasn't just Gilfillan that cowardly little shite was elbowing it was anyone in an Airdrie jersey who came within reach. I've never seen a player so blatantly cheat as that scrote. One day he'll get his just desserts and I can only hope it is sooner rather than later.

It wasn't just Gilfillan that cowardly little shite was elbowing it was anyone in an Airdrie jersey who came within reach. I've never seen a player so blatantly cheat as that scrote. One day he'll get his just desserts and I can only hope it is sooner rather than later.

Wow ! Just Wow !!

It's worth noting Smith also had to make a world class save to deny Luca Gasparotto at the end of the game - along with an excellent block from Paddy Boyle & another great stop from Ross Docherty in the first half. This was in contrast to Andy McNeil who didn't really have a save to make; but you're right, a draw was just about fair!

It's worth noting Smith also had to make a world class save to deny Luca Gasparotto at the end of the game - along with an excellent block from Paddy Boyle & another great stop from Ross Docherty in the first half. This was in contrast to Andy McNeil who didn't really have a save to make; but you're right, a draw was just about fair!

On balance of play it probably was. Jackson had a couple of efforts just narrowly wide and Thomson had a couple too. In fairness Airdrie had the more clear cut ones and you are right , that save from Buzz was world class. As I said though it took something special to beat him.

Thought a draw was just about the right result with Airdrie shading it in terms of chances created. Would have probably taken a draw before the game as the Excelsior is always a difficult place to go, at least for us it is anyway!

Have to say I've never heard of Trouts being portrayed as a coward and a cheat before! Touch of class with the turn to take both the keeper and defender out of the game for the goal.

Couple of top drawer saves from Graeme Smith yet again. For me he's the best keeper in the league but perhaps that's me looking through my red tinted specs.

14 games unbeaten and still going strong. Huge game against Morton next in the league. If we were to win that, and whisper it quietly...we might be considered as genuine title contenders?! Play-offs has to be the aim though.

Have to say I've never heard of Trouts being portrayed as a coward and a cheat before! Touch of class with the turn to take both the keeper and defender out of the game for the goal.

Touch of class ? Did you not see him elbowing the defender and punching the keeper to make space ? :rolleyes:

The bbc won't take the points off for the ayr v peterhead game that has to be replayed.

Archived