Forfar vs Greenock Morton

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The defending for that equaliser is laughable: three players at the back, one centre-back in Crighton in that line, who decides to dive in like a fanny when he obviously needs to keep goal-side and get Lamie back in position. :1eye

Both of Forfar's main chances in the first half involved trying and failing to achieve MacDonald's finish: top quality always shows.

I agree re the goal but the two chances they had in the first half that they missed, the defending was even worse and only did not result in a goal due to dreadful finishing and Gaston. At the first, they had two attackers running through totally unmarked and one all on his own in the box at the second. Mark Russell getting caught upfield sucked our central defenders over to cover but that is no excuse. For all I think he is a good player on the ball, Russell's defensive attributes are poor and he would imho be a far better wide left mid player with a decent fullback behind him.

Crighton is a reasonable header of the ball but he is hopeless at holding up a player who has the ball at his feet and in a one on one, he might as well not be there. Lamie at least will take out the ball and the man! (and a lot of bookings with the odd sending off thrown in!)

Peaso got taken out for our chance where it got cleared off the line twice...

I agree re the goal but the two chances they had in the first half that they missed, the defending was even worse and only did not result in a goal due to dreadful finishing and Gaston. At the first, they had two attackers running through totally unmarked and one all on his own in the box at the second. Mark Russell getting caught upfield sucked our central defenders over to cover but that is no excuse. For all I think he is a good player on the ball, Russell's defensive attributes are poor and he would imho be a far better wide left mid player with a decent fullback behind him.

Crighton is a reasonable header of the ball but he is hopeless at holding up a player who has the ball at his feet and in a one on one, he might as well not be there. Lamie at least will take out the ball and the man! (and a lot of bookings with the odd sending off thrown in!)

The first of those chances was due to a number of our players failing to cover effectively - Ross Forbes missed the header that let them in, and he was the last man covering!

The second one, Lamie comes out further forward than Russell - Lamie's at fault for effectively trying to play Left and Centre-back at the same time. Then Crighton gets caught in no-man's land, instead of covering in the middle (as O'Ware frantically tried to get back and do).

Russell isn't the best defender, but whilst he didn't exactly shine in those 2 instances, for me he's not the root cause of the defensive frailties evident therein.

Peaso got taken out for our chance where it got cleared off the line twice...

The first of those chances was due to a number of our players failing to cover effectively - Ross Forbes missed the header that let them in, and he was the last man covering!

The second one, Lamie comes out further forward than Russell - Lamie's at fault for effectively trying to play Left and Centre-back at the same time. Then Crighton gets caught in no-man's land, instead of covering in the middle (as O'Ware frantically tried to get back and do).

Russell isn't the best defender, but whilst he didn't exactly shine in those 2 instances, for me he's not the root cause of the defensive frailties evident therein.

I see what you are saying re Forbes missing the header. When I watched the video at first, I thought that was Lamie. Looking at it again though, Lamie had been dragged out wide because Russell was skinned by the Forfar player (Swankie I think). Crighton was in turn pulled further over to cover and, as you say, caught nowhere. In both incidents wtf was Kilday? Basically though the initial problem on both these incidents started on our left.

Archived