Squeaky bum time ups and downs ?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd fancy Morton to go on and win the division. The Michael Tidser was a shambles for all concerned but Peter MacDonald is a bona-fide superstar for this level and alongside Ross Caldwell, they have the best attack in the league. It's taken some time but Jim Duffy looks as though he's found a decent defensive unit and if he can be encouraged to play Conor Pepper on a more regular basis, they should triumph.

There's still a feeling that Dunfermline will eventually come good but it recedes with each passing week. Three points from the last six matches is not acceptable for a club with their ambitions and it's difficult to put the finger on exactly what's going wrong. They're solid enough and have good players across the park but their seems to be a real timidity every time they approach the final third. I'm not convinced that Andy Barrowman is the answer. It's certainly perplexing - how can you sign the division's three best players in the summer and end up worse off than you were before?

I do worry a little for Stranraer and reckon that history is repeating itself - having lost to Stenhousemuir (!) and Brechin City, there's a fear that last season's boom 'n' bust pattern - a slow start, a wonderful few months, then a struggle over the finish line - might play out again. Steve Aitken needs to beef up the squad, especially in attack, as they're a little short in there.

I'm not sure who'll miss out on the top four but given there's six teams who have legitimate designs on the play-offs, it'll certainly be exciting.

Stirling Albion will finish bottom. I think there's a danger of their upturn in form dissipating and results reverting to the mean. Plenty of hustle and hard work there but the quality is lacking. I do wish them well though, Martyn Corrigan's a good guy.

Stenhousemuir will finish in ninth place and struggle through the play-offs. Scott Booth's appointment has been quite disastrous so far and there is no progress to suggest he's implementing (or even capable of implementing) an attractive style of play. With many of the senior players alienated and disillusioned by his methods, it's a pretty unhappy camp. His attempt to force Sean Dickson out of the club is the final straw for me - get this fucking imposter out of Ochilview and back to coaching U-8s football.

Ayr United will finish in eighth by virtue of their manager - Ian McCall at least recognises the gravity of their current plight and I think he'll do the necessary things to rectify their position, namely by recruiting some strikers.

I hope that we've added enough firepower to get us to the title, but it's going to be a rollercoaster. We're still going to concede stupid goals, and if we don't sign another centre midfielder, we're still going to be overrun in there at times, particularly if Duffy continues to keep Connor Pepper on the bench and Michael Miller in the team.

Morton

Stranraer

Forfar

Dunfermline

Brechin

Peterhead

Airdrie

Ayr

Stenhousemuir

Stirling

Dunfermline to play Cowdenbeath again in the play-offs, but Stranraer to go up.

If Michael Moffat was reproducing his goalscoring form from last season then Dunfermline would be much better off in terms of points, that's for sure. They weren't that bad against us, but toothless up front. I very much doubt that Barrowman will solve this problem. Without a real turnaround of form from potential goalscorers then there's no way they will win the league, and will even struggle to make the playoffs.

We might have the goalscorers now, but unless we solve our defensive problems I can't see us winning the league.

Archived